Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old August 30th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1
GreenNinja
Gonna Be the Twintail

Kamen Rider Wizard Discussion: More Rings Than Saturn

Kamen Rider Wizard
仮面ライダーウィザード

Because humanity cannot stop messing with sources of energy from realms beyond our existence, a bunch of guys decide to hold a ritual at the time of a solar eclipse. This ends about as well as you'd expect. Haruto and a strange girl, Koyomi, now have to deal with the Phantoms invading Earth and feeding on our sweet despair. The key to stopping them lies in fancy-looking jewelry and a belt emblazoned with a hand. It's showtime!

Cast

Shunya Shiraishi as Haruto Sōma: The Frodo Baggins of this tale. Likes donuts, for they are ring shaped and he has to keep on motif.

Makoto Okunaka as Koyomi, a mysterious girl with mysterious behavior patterns, who also has Phantom sense.

Junki Tozuka as Shunpei Nara, the Japanese Chip from Mystic Force. Wants to use magic despite the apparent lethality of it in this universe.

Yuko Takayama as Rinko Daimon, a lady cop who wonders why the police aren't investigating the Phantoms. Decides to hang around with people who actually do investigate the Phantoms.

Hisahiro Ogura as Shigeru Wajima, owner of the antique store where new merchandise is tested. Every Kamen Rider needs a mysterious old guy for flavor.

The Narrator
Hiroaki Hirata. (DeluKnight, Machalcon, Sanji, Wild Tiger, Jack Sparrow, and more!)

Music
Opening Theme - "Life is SHOW TIME" by Shou Kiryuuin.

Links
Toei
Asahi
Avex Rider Sound

New episodes can be watched via Keyhole at 7 PM EST.

Last edited by GreenNinja; September 10th, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #2
McAster
I engage in motion

From the main website. The symbols are just nonsense by the road, but they sure do look nice don't they?

For those that want it with Wizard.
Old September 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM   #3
GreenNinja
Gonna Be the Twintail

Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM   #4
GreenNinja
Gonna Be the Twintail

Things are set to begin in media res, like W. Haruto's pretty well established with his powers by now, including having all three of the first wave of Plamonsters. Garuda gets the most usage, though the other two make an appearance. It's clear Haruto can use his magic for more than just fighting monsters.

No OP sequence, so nothing to decode. Just a Shinken-esque "open on the hero fighting". And it is awesome. Using only his base powers, Haruto lays waste to a group of Phantoms, setting the tone for the year. "Haruto will kick your ass, and look fancy doing it."

Both fight scenes were incredible. Haruto only showed off three of his four forms, but it was spectacular. The show's getting a lot of usage out of the magic circles, but it doesn't feel like it's abusing them. Little details like jumping through the circle before transforming to Hurricane Style gave the sequence a real flow and sense of rhythm. The somersault, fire-branded kick was also incredible. It'll still be impressive to watch 40 episodes later.

The battle in Rinko's mind was also pretty sweet. I stand by what I said - the Wizardragon is awesome, because it's a dragon. Like Dragredder, but somehow even cooler. The battle in the air even calls to mind Final Vent.

I wonder how much of the series is going to involve Rinko. This episode clearly set her up as the outsider looking in on a world of magic - even Shinpei is quirkier than her (when he appears next week). The BGM is sweet, often having a chanting undertone to it, and the effects are pretty well done. Even Haruto shrinking down and riding on the Unicorn Plamonster as if it was an actual horse was believable.

We did get some flashbacks to the solar eclipse ritual, but just enough for them to fill in the details on exactly what happened later. Overall, the first episode lived up to, and exceeded, all my expectations.

The novelty factor may play a part in it, but the show's really well put together. Mystery, magic, fabulousness. It's got everything.
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM   #5
SPDRedRanger
Power Ranger

It all starts with a donut...

Haruto doing a Rider Break is a nice little (unintentional) reference to Skyrider. Looks like we're going to have to wait until next week to see the OP sequence; like Abaranger and Shinkenger before it, the OP's playing over a (pretty cool) first fight scene. From what I was able to hear from the OP, it sounds catchy.

The WizarDriver is a very wordy henshin belt...

Have we ever had a Rider arrested in the very first episode before? Either way, he certainly knows where his priorities lie (like getting donuts using his magic).

Even though the belt is still very talkative, the transformation sequence is very cool. Also loving the chanting in the background; I'm in love with the BGM already. I also enjoyed when he turned into Hurricane Style in mid-air; it's been a very long time since a Rider transformed, even if it was a form change, in mid-air.

Looks like Wizard got some inspiration from the Imagin; the Engage ring lets him go into the body of someone who's been attacked by a Phantom.

All-in-all, it was an impressive first episode. The visuals are great, the music is just to my liking, and the main Rider seems likable. Let's see if they keep this up.

Next week: Haruto meets new people!
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Willy105
*explosion*

- Already has his powers? Great!

- Awesome special effects? Fantastic!

- Swag? A'plenty!

- No opening credits for first episode? Exciting!

- Opening Song = Wonderful and catchy.

- Being able to pick up your donuts from anywhere? Hilarious.

- Changing forms, traveling to the past, riding dragons; all in a Rider's job.

- Excellent premiere.

I love that this show is made by the same guys from both Shinkenger and Gokaiger, because this show oozes everything that made those shows exciting and fun to watch.
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Destiny13777
Power Ranger

Well I can't say it grabbed me as well as Fourze's did last year. I'm not to big a fan of shows that throw you right into the middle of something and that's exactly how this felt. First fight was generic let's show off some stuff he can do and felt very shinkenger, even down to the opening playing as he was fighting. I felt there was a lot more Cgi then normal but idk. I just don't want this to be one of those shows were a lot of the stuff we see early on gets shafted later, like OOO. Also surprised he used land and hurricane, but no water, seeing as how water and flame are the 2 that come with the belt toy. The flashback seemed interesting so I'm looking forward to that and I really want to see the actual opening. While not as impressive as the last couple of first episodes, it was still pretty neat.
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:39 PM   #8
GokaiGold
Praise the moon

What I like about the fights so far is that they're quicker than Fourze's. Switching the rings doesn't take as much time. My only problem is switching the hand when he wants to use the hand in the same direction twice.
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Red DS Ranger
Megaforce, Ready, Go!

I can already say that this show looks better than Fourze could ever dream of being. It seemed to have a good balance of both comedic scenes and dramatic ones as well. I'm already in love with this show. Can't wait for the subs!
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:44 PM   #10
SUNGEL
Shôri no Imagination

Wizard's awesome opening right here
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Ryoutarou
Dot

You can definitely tell that Shinkenger and Wizard have the same director. That first battle with the opening over it had so many shots that reminded me of Shinken Red's first battle.
Old September 1st, 2012, 07:13 PM   #12
Destiny13777
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNGEL View Post
Thanks! This is one of the few things I could say I already like about the show.

I know it was only the first episode but I just hope things pick up next week. I don't want this show to become the snooze fest Go-Busters quickly became for me.
Old September 1st, 2012, 07:17 PM   #13
NinjaHurricane
I'm SPD Green, ask Greg!

Now THIS is a theme song! Very catchy.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:59 AM   #14
Funkatron
Power Ranger

The Engrish.... oh, the Engrish... "Foooo-Ame!"

So far, love this. That henshin belt has to be the most talkative one yet.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:07 AM   #15
Merlin
To the Eve of All Hallows

I really liked it!

A few aesthetic things first:

It's great that they correlated the direction of each of his changes with the arrangement of the jewels on the Wizard seal; Hi is to his left, Fuu is up, etc, putting Wizard himself in the center, which is ripe for making his fifth form combine them all. The seal is strictly based on four, where Magiranger's was five. leaving Style 5 to be something big.

The system is slightly different from Magiranger's, which corresponded to an actual Western occult magic system. Unfortunately it seems they wanted to distance the system from Magi's as much as possible except in very obvious schemes like Red = Fire. Each of the Plamonsters corresponds to the element to its left or right on the wheel: Garuda, a sky bird, is red. Kraken, a sea creature, is yellow. The green monster should correspond to the base element of fire, but what it could be I'm not sure. Maybe a salamander to distinguish it from the giant dragon. Unfortunately there don't seem to be incantations to learn this time around; each one appears to be pre-loaded with each ring.

I didn't expect Wizard to very acrobatic because he's quite top-heavy, but was pleasantly surprised. The gun will take a little getting used to for me. I'm in mad love with Hurricane Style, and like that Land Style serve more as a defensive form than an offensive one, as Earth or the heaviest form has often been for Rangers and Riders.

I immediately thought that Daimon Rinko might serve a very important purpose because her name in katakana is the English words "Demon Link." What she might connect to remains to be seen. It'd be nice if she were the main Rider Girl for the season instead of Koyomi.

The villains seem less interesting to me than the Zodiarts, but not enough has been seen to judge completely yet.

In all, a very nice, tidy beginning. Magical Showtime!
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Lt. Cmdr. Radner
THE POWER IS BACK BABY!!!
eBay

For the first episode, I have to say that Wizard pulled it off better then Fourze did on his first episode. Overall I really like were they are taking this show and I'm glad we have some actual footsoldiers for once, I don't count Dustards cause they didn't show up until about a third of the way through Fourze and they were only used about a dozen or so times. I'm really looking forward to the Sub so I understand what that Damn belt is saying, also I'm making a prediction right now that Rinko is going to become our secondary rider... yeah it's a early hunch but I have a good feeling about it.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:55 AM   #17
leolim
Power Ranger

Well he's good I'll give him that, I look forward seeing him (and Fourze) team up with Ichigo to 000 and the Super Sentai in the future.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:07 AM   #18
Cosmo773
Power Ranger

Very nice opener. I love that the dragon isn't under his complete control. Shrinking and riding the Unicorn made me smile. Music was fantastic. Effects were good. Keep it up and we'll have a real winner here.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:39 AM   #19
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Cmdr. Radner View Post
I'm making a prediction right now that Rinko is going to become our secondary rider... yeah it's a early hunch but I have a good feeling about it.
Past form says no. The majority of additional Rangers and Riders are new characters. Also, female Riders are VERY uncommon.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:55 AM   #20
spiritforcewarriorx
Wolf Ranger

any videos of the henshin up yet?
Closed Thread

Tags
kamen rider polygamist, pleased to make magic