RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > General Discussion

Old August 28th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #1
ronwasserman
Power Ranger

Recutting the original PR Songs - Now for purchase!

11_18_12

BTW - New Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Power...5798287576292# - Needs some 'likes' so thanks in advance.

10_24_12 The tracks are up at iTunes! MAN! That was fast.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/po...ux/id573198161

Ron

FINISHED! 10_22_12

The material went up instantly at Bandcamp.com: http://ronwasserman.bandcamp.com

Full and Instrumental (backing tracks) all in one download. $7.00 USD the lowest I could make it.

Thanks!

Ron Wasserman

PS - Will start the process of uploading to CDBaby.com tonight who will get the tracks everywhere else (iTunes etc.) but that generally takes a week or two.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Update 10_18_12

The mastered tracks are back to me!

Last thing to do is to create the instrumental (backing track) versions and then I'll start uploading to bandcamp.com, iTunes etc. by 10_23_12. Hopefully it won't take too long for the stores to post them. I'll update here.

New clips are at sound cloud: http://soundcloud.com/ron-wasserman/...ork-in/s-lYd8l
---------------
Update 10/15/12

Songs are off to mastering engineer. If that goes smoothly, I'll start the upload process (bandcamp.com / iTunes) next week.

Hope you're all doing well.

Ron

------------------------------
Hello Fellow Rock Stars!

So, after years of thinking/dreaming/pondering and distractions I finally started recutting some of the original Power Ranger songs.

Hard to believe it's been almost 20 years since I originally did these songs.

Let me get a few things clear up front. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here. Part of the fun for me on this project is using 2012 technology to remake the tracks using the same process I used from the beginning which goes like this…. I create my group of custom sounds to create the 'band'. I run a few tests, and when I like how they all sound together I start the track. First rhythm guitar to a click, then drums, then bass, then lead vocals, then harmonies, then guitar, piano etc. overdubs and I start to build up the sound. The last thing I'll record is lead guitar. I'm still thinking about who should do that as I don't want to ape the old solos or additional lead parts. I'd like that to be totally different than the original…..(or at least a far step away from the original). BTW - Might call in Bruce Watson for this. He did a lot of the later stuff with me. That could be interesting……

Secondly I am restricted from what I can do….same as anyone else covering these songs. I can only create "my version" if the tracks if the original song(s) were released commercially on Cd or iTunes etc. If it was only used on TV, then no one can legally cover and release that song.

Here is what I've done so far.

MMPR Theme - All basic tracks and vocals.

Fight - All basic tracks and vocals.

5-4-1 - All basic tracks and vocals.

We Need A Hero - All basic tracks and vocals.

I Will Win - All basic tracks and vocals. (Still tweaking the new middle parts.)

Mach 23 - (was never released so this one is off the list.)

Combat - On the 'to do" list. Never know if it would go final until I get well into it.

Hope For The World - On the 'to do" list.

Cross My Line - On the 'to do" list.

Silver Ranger - On the 'to do" list. - (was never released so this one is off the list.)

Go Fly Win - On the 'to do" list. - (was never released so this one is off the list.)

Perhaps a new version of "Lord Zedd'" theme would be fun……

ADDING: Go Green Ranger & Unite. (8_28_12)

So that is where I'm at. I'll put some clips up soon and kind of take you all through the process….okay?

Oh! Almost forgot, I'm thinking of calling this "Power Rangers Redux" - Says it all don't you think?

I also kind of love this: http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtm...=1#id=63455245 for the cover.

Hope all of you are doing well.

Ron

Update: 8_28_12

So here: http://soundcloud.com/ron-wasserman/...ork-in/s-lYd8l are a few samples.

These are direct "board" mixes meaning they are reference only. Other than light compression, there is no eq's or other efxs at all. No levels have been tweaked.

So if they sound rough.....well, they are. LOL! You're actually hearing exactly what I hear when I'm recording (tracking) the vocals.

Just cut the basics on Combat. Leaving the studio until tonight. Will do the vocals late, when the phone doesn't ring, when email doesn't arrive, when the moon is high and bright.
-----

9/27/12 "Go Green Ranger Go"
http://soundcloud.com/ron-wasserman/...ork-in/s-lYd8l

Last edited by ronwasserman; November 18th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
ronwasserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #2
DG
TSG

Very interested in this. Thanks for stopping by again, Ron. And, of course, doing this project.

The Silver Ranger song may have been on a European release, but I'm not sure.

I like the idea of that picture for a cover. And on that note, now that we know what you're looking for in a cover, maybe have fans make covers and you choose your favorite. Just an idea, and one I'd be interested in.

Nonetheless, good luck, and thanks!
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Primo Haim Saban
Sailor Mooned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
I am restricted from what I can do….same as anyone else covering these songs. I can only create "my version" if the tracks if the original song(s) were released commercially on Cd or iTunes etc. If it was only used on TV, then no one can legally cover and release that song.
So no "Gonna Make it Right"?

Well, I'll take whatever I can get. A man of your current stature still returning to the place where he began is more than enough honor for me, Ron. Keep up the good work!
Primo Haim Saban is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #4
PositiveJosh
Power Ranger

I'm really interested in all of this, particularly "Cross My Line". If you don't mind me asking, what was the thought process behind that song? I discovered it after a bad breakup a few years ago, and it really helped put things into a positive perspective.

But seriously, this is pretty much my favorite kind of music, and I listen to these tracks all the freakin' time. Can't wait for the redux!
PositiveJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #5
bushwacka666
PRZT: back! No, really!!!

Ron, sadly I couldn't make it to PMC this year but I watched some of your panel on Youtube - this was such a nice surprise to hear! Quite what inspired you to do it I'm not sure, but I'm sure we're all glad you did!

I'd like to pick out this part that you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
Secondly I am restricted from what I can do….same as anyone else covering these songs. I can only create "my version" if the tracks if the original song(s) were released commercially on Cd or iTunes etc. If it was only used on TV, then no one can legally cover and release that song.
Thank you for clearing that up right out of the gate. This was a point I had raised in another thread - I thought it would have been nice if these new recordings could have included the songs that never got a "clean" release in the first place (i.e. ones that can only be found in the show itself.) I won't pretend to understand all the ins-and-outs of the legalities for why you can't use them, but at least I won't be getting my hopes up unnecessarily.

Looking at your track list though, I will say one small thing... no "Go Green Ranger"? If you had any plans to do that one, might I suggest using the "don't let Evil Rita put a spell on your mind" line? Seeing as how the "Lord Zedd" variant is the only one that anybody can seem to get their hands on.

In any case, sooooooo looking forward to this Ron! All the best to you, and please pass the same wishes on to Kathy and (probably not so little anymore!) Aron as well.
bushwacka666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #6
Zeddykins
FACEPALM

YES. I would love to hear new renditions of the Lord Zedd theme & "Go! Fly! Win!" I'm ecstatic to see that the first 5 on your list are pretty much done. Those are songs that I commonly associate w/MMPR whenver I think of it.
Zeddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #7
Primo Haim Saban
Sailor Mooned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositiveJosh View Post
I'm really interested in all of this, particularly "Cross My Line". If you don't mind me asking, what was the thought process behind that song?
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=77161

Quote:
NinjaJack:Tell us about your worse day at Saban Entertainment

Ron:I had the approval of 20th Century Fox to score the first Power Rangers Film and Haim decided to throw me off the project by telling me I was not good enough to score a film.
He actually did this IMO because it would have brought me into the spotlight and increased my ability to move forward career wise. "Cross My Line" is about this day.
Primo Haim Saban is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #8
kc16
Luv my 9aija!

Wow very excited to hear these songs Ron! I am a very big fan of your music as are most fans here and I am eager to hear how these songs sound now with the new changes.
kc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #9
DragonQ
Power Ranger

No Go Green Ranger Go?
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #10
ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com

I read the title and went "recutting the songs? what kind of fan.. *looks at thread starter*.... WHOA!"

EXCITED! I've always wondered what old songs (ie. old 80s and 90s) would sound like had they been done using today's tech so this is an awesome way of finding out.
ultrakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #11
Dragonranger8
SuperSentaiXPowerRangers

Wow, looking forward to hearing these. ^^
Dragonranger8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Zeo-Gold92
Hammers Of Justice

The legend himself! Looking forward to all this, particularly the MMPR I'm just a sucker for it xD Can't wait!
Zeo-Gold92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #13
Ranger of Oz
Mod Battlizer

Oh boy, this is gonna be good...
Ranger of Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:08 AM   #14
clark1951
Devotee of Megaforce Pink

So it's similiar to Star Trek: TOS Remastered where they re-recorded the theme music using today's recording equipment to sound brand new?
clark1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #15
Ranger923
Henshin Hero At Heart

I've always been a fan of your music on the show... and as a one-man-rock-band myself, your insights and work are quite an inspiration.

Looking forward to hearing the new versions!
Ranger923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #16
malibupete
Power Ranger

Can I second/third/whatever the Lord Zedd theme? That was always one of my favourite pieces on the show...
malibupete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #17
Internutt
Scottish Sentai

It's great to hear a confirmation of this from the man himself. Enjoy working on your songs, you wrote the soundtrack to my childhood!
Internutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #18
Willy105
*explosion*

Can't wait to see how you recut them, Ron.
Willy105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #19
jay_tigran
The Jebus Ranger

awesome!
jay_tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #20
PhantomRanger5
The Dude

Hopefully Ron will recut Go Green Ranger go and White Ranger Tiger Power. Those 2 are some of my favorite MMPR tracks.
PhantomRanger5 is offline   Reply With Quote