RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Lita Maivia
Claw of the Tiger

Male stunt doubles playing female rangers

I did a search on this and I didn't really see it come up anywhere. I would think it already has been, so I apologize if it has and I just overlooked it.

I've noticed in the past that there have been male stunt doubles playing the female rangers in costume. Looking back, I notice there's been a few times in Power Rangers where it's really been obvious and now it's a little distracting, but I think I was too young for it to really be a big deal at the time. However, watching Gokaiger and seeing Luka played by a male in suit is really distracting to me at times. It was especially noticeable in Episode 46 when she changes into VulPanther.

I was wondering how anybody else feels about male stunt doubles playing female rangers in costume.

Also, how do they cast stunt doubles for each season? Do they keep the set or get new ones every season? The three girls in Shinkenger all seemed like they had female stunt doubles or at least males that weren't so masculine looking in their suits. I understand that their faces aren't being shown and they don't have any lines to speak, but I would think casting stunt doubles would be about the same as casting actors. You're casting a female role, so you'd only screen female actors. Obviously that's not how it's done with stunt doubles.
Lita Maivia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Xenotome
♡Lee Jong Suk♡

The stunt doubles tend to come from the same pool of actors every season with having a specific color they tend to be. Hirofumi Fukuzawa has been every Red Ranger since Gaoranger with the exception of MagiRed & GoseiRed because of height reasons. He recently got a promotion this season and will be the action director for Go Busters.

Many of them also double as villains and mech suit sctors. Men who are women's stunt actors have done it long enough that they have down the mannerisms of a woman where you really couldn't tell unless you actually knew they were. It's also the reason that there are skirts on the females. Hime ShinkenRed has the same suit actor as GokaiYellow & Dayu, Yuuichi Hachisuka.

http://supersentai.com/stunt/ss-index.htm
Xenotome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Merlin
The Phoenix Reborn

It's much harder to find stunt doubles than actors. Stunt doubles lead dangerous lives, especially the acrobatic Ranger doubles who could sustain grave injury if a single backflip weren't performed properly.

Sometimes same-sex doubles just aren't available and they use the opposite. It's a tough industry to be successful in, especially for women. Watch the documentary Double Dare about Zoe Bell who doubled for Lucy Lawless in Xena and Uma Thurman in Kill Bill; it was a gruelling climb to where she is today.

Now narrow it even further to exclusively Japanese doubles who have to be able to understand the language for direction, choreography and actors' body language on top of the martial arts and acrobatics, and the pool shrinks even smaller. Men doubling for ladies is not uncommon where the availability of women is small in Toku.

PR has had many instances of men in wigs to play female Rangers for unmorphed scenes where the long hair can obscure their faces. Syd's fight scenes in SPD are especially obvious as a male Asian wearing a bleached blonde wig.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
tc26xyz
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
PR has had many instances of men in wigs to play female Rangers for unmorphed scenes where the long hair can obscure their faces. Syd's fight scenes in SPD are especially obvious as a male Asian wearing a bleached blonde wig.
Sentai did this too in out-of-suit fights, like in Gokaiger episode 11, wherein they fight out-of-suit first then henshin individually. It's easy to notice the Luka double.
tc26xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Lita Maivia
Claw of the Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenotome View Post
Men who are women's stunt actors have done it long enough that they have down the mannerisms of a woman where you really couldn't tell unless you actually knew they were. It's also the reason that there are skirts on the females. Hime ShinkenRed has the same suit actor as GokaiYellow & Dayu, Yuuichi Hachisuka.
Oh, absolutely. Luka's stunt double does a great job of portraying a female ranger, yet for some reason in the yellow suits he seems so much more masculine than during the Hime ShinkenRed scenes. I honestly thought Hime ShinkenRed might've had a female stunt double.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenotome View Post
Thanks! This link is awesome. Somehow I just knew ShinkenGreen and Gokai Green had the same stunt double. That guy is so charismatic in the suits!
Lita Maivia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
raz
razzle1337.tumblr.com
eBay

At first the Luka as VulPanther wasn't noticeable, but now paying more attention, it's incredibly how much her physique changes to show that it's a male stunt actor. She goes from being petite and slim to husky with muscular legs.
raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Kushami
Power Ranger

It's kind of interesting that there's at least one aspect of Super Sentai that doesn't change every year. I never realized the ranger actors all pretty much stayed the same.

Also, isn't there a picture of Time Force Pink with her male stunt double in suit at some point?
Kushami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
raz
razzle1337.tumblr.com
eBay

Yeah, because Erin Cahill is so flat chested.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
Kushami
Power Ranger

I think that's a little mean and uncalled for. :/
Kushami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
BlueStreak
Rescue Ready!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushami View Post
Also, isn't there a picture of Time Force Pink with her male stunt double in suit at some point?
Ahhh. This picture never gets old!

(Clicky!)
BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #11
Myzou
The One You Love to Hate

Honestly, I never would have guessed HimeShinkenRed, GoseiPink, and GokaiYellow were all the same male suit actor. I'm a little more relieved that GokaiPink is a female suit actress though, just because the mannerisms would be freakingly uncanny if it were a male suit actor.
Myzou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #12
DekaMudkip
Power Ranger

Miss America had a bulge...
DekaMudkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #13
raz
razzle1337.tumblr.com
eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushami View Post
I think that's a little mean and uncalled for. :/
Sarcasm falls flat on the internet if you can't read the context, I guess.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
PedroMcNamara
Trusting my compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
At first the Luka as VulPanther wasn't noticeable, but now paying more attention, it's incredibly how much her physique changes to show that it's a male stunt actor. She goes from being petite and slim to husky with muscular legs.
Lol my wife spotted that one right away
PedroMcNamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:03 AM   #15
ComicGuy89
Power Ranger

I noticed it too, VulPanther was one of those that really stood out for some reason. It was weird because Yuichi Hachisuka's really convincing as a female when playing GokaiYellow, at least to me.

To be honest, I must say I've occasionally felt distracted by the idea that female Rangers were played by male actors. It just feels unnatural that a male actor could be so convincing as a female character. Then again, I guess that's kudos to the great acting.
ComicGuy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:33 AM   #16
chronoxiong
Digital Artist

I didn't know that HimeShinkenRed was portrayed by a male! Man, his suit acting was just too convincing. I was aware of males portraying females in Sentai but I didn't know it was often and I only found out a few years ago. Hearing this makes you realize how much of a tough job they have to do. I give them props.
chronoxiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:41 AM   #17
tc26xyz
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

(Clicky!)
Kinda disturbing

Didn't know Gosei Pink had a male suit actor. I wouldn't be as surprise if it were any Yellow since they tend to be less feminine than their Pink counterparts.
tc26xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #18
RisingSunRanger
Man behind the mask

Real men wear pink spandex! XD
RisingSunRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #19
AkaMarvelous
Power Ranger

Hawt
AkaMarvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
vikim
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

(Clicky!)
yeah. I believe he plays (prlr) dana and (prspd) syd too.
vikim is offline   Reply With Quote