RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > General Discussion

Old September 9th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #1
bbarker3
Microsoft is Superior

Did the actors actual wear the costumes in the show?

I searched, but not sure if I searched the right thread. Not sure if this was asked, but did/do the actors who play the rangers in any of the series wear the costumes during their battles, or were the stunt people acting in the costumes?
bbarker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Arectaris Returned
Power Ranger

Do helmetless scenes count?
Arectaris Returned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #3
DoGu
Wake Up Fever!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arectaris Returned View Post
Do helmetless scenes count?
If those do count, then there were a bunch in Zeo IIRC, When the rangers were in the Power Chamber (I think). In Space too.
DoGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Chiron723
Power Ranger

Outside of anytime that the actors face is shown, it is safe to assume that they are all stuntmen.
Chiron723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #5
rangerspider
Power Ranger

Yes the actors wear the suits, its all about what type of scenes that are shot, japanese footage slice in, and there stunt doubles.
rangerspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Kyle16
Figuring it out

I remember hearing from steve and Jason David Frank that early on they Were in the suits while fighting. I know for a fact that Jason was in the suit during the dark demension scenes in the green with evil saga. It wasn't until they got unionized that they were no longer allowed to do their own stunts when not necessary .
Kyle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #7
SPD Gold
Ziggy, stop hiding!

As far as I know, when the Rangers are in full costume with the helmets on, it's never them. The only time it's actually ever them is when it calls for a helmetless scene.

As for the scene with Ranger Green showing off to Gem and Gemma in NSS, I'm not sure because it would've made more sence for it to have been Milo wearing the suit instead of some Japanese stunt guy.
SPD Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #8
Erik1493
White Ranger Tiger Power

I think they could choose some of the time. Johnny Bosch did his own stunts when his stuntman got injured in the mmpr. (I think I saw him say this on a panel I watched on youtube)
I've also HEARD the JDF did some in suit work early on.

They probably weren't allowed for the most part, and SOME of them probably are not that particularly good at the martial arts anyway.
Erik1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #9
JediMB
VIP Ranger

From what we were told at PMC1, they didn't get any stunties for the suits until they started preparing for MMPR The Movie. After that point, you can be pretty certain that they're stuntmen unless you can see their faces.

(But, yeah, season 1 didn't exactly have a lot of American morphed action. Most of the American morphed scenes were in the Command Center.)
JediMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #10
rangerspider
Power Ranger

I really doubt that. There is plently of stuff actors can do not requering stunt guys and be in suits.
rangerspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #11
MetallicRanger
Power Ranger

Dan Southworth started off as a stuntman for rangers before landing the role though so that's a different story. Not to mention that he was a trained martial artist whereas no one else on the cast was. Kind of like how JDF did his own unmorphed stunts in Dino Thunder or JYB in Once a Ranger.

The suit stunties were brought in not so much because they were afraid the rangers would get hurt. You assumed Saban and co were actually nice to the cast! They brought them in because they realized their shooting schedule would be cut in half if they did that. It was always about milking these slaves dry to maximize their efficiency and value.

Also, I think the ranger actors were in the suits up until around The Mutiny. You can see the bigger neck braces for them compared to the stunties. I know that by the time of the episode where Zack and Billy sees the rangers as putties, they have switched to stunties in suits.
MetallicRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #12
DG
TSG

First Season they were in costume, but there was very little American action scenes in this season.

Season 2 on, Only for non action scenes that require them to take there helmets off.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #13
SirStack
Visit Morphylogeny!
eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Season 2 on, Only for non action scenes that require them to take there helmets off.
Technically, they changed out after the initial 40. The first real morphed US fight was in "Return of an Old Friend, Part I", and that was the Issac Florentine/Jeff Pruitt stunt team in the costumes.
SirStack is offline   Reply With Quote