RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
tasti man LH
Contract?

No actor for Omega Ranger?

Ok, so right now I'm in the middle of PR: SPD (actually, near the end of it), but throughout this entire season, one thing has been bugging me a lot: how come there isn't an actual human actor for the Omega Ranger? While I haven't watched its Sentai counterpart, Dekaranger, I know that Omega's counterpart, DekaBright, DOES get to demorph and we see his human actor. So how come in SPD, all we get is a ball of light? Did something happen behind the scenes that prevented Disney from securing a human actor, or was it a creative decision from the writers?

note: and yes, I would prefer a better explanation besides: "Because kalish is an asshole that ruined the entire PR franchise!!!!11!!11!"
tasti man LH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
GreenNinja
Vivid Aoi Operation

We're more mature than that. The truth is that Disney didn't want to pay for another actor, so we never got one. There are many things to blame on Kalish, but not this.
GreenNinja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Poweranimals
Iron Mouse!

It was a budget issue. Although there's really no excuse as to why they couldn't have just made Boom the Omega Ranger except for lack of creativity. And IIRC, Kalish admitted later on that he could've made cuts elsewhere to make room for another actor and had said he regretted not doing so.
Poweranimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Irish Ranger
I am the night!

I think it was to save money for other stuff that they wanted to do.
Irish Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

It wasn't Kalish that caused this. If I recall, it was because Disney didn't want to pay another actor when they could pay a suit actor and voice actor instead.
Sir Koji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Deltron
My Only Love

Ball o Light had so much potential...if it were executed better.
Deltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
Merlin
The Phoenix Reborn

Tinkersam, we hardly knew ye.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
McAster
I engage in motion

At least somewhere out there, it made it easier to imagine a Ghostwriter Power Rangers team-up idea.
McAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
Citrus
Form a human chain, now!

I just wanted future Sam to protect present (2025 present) Sam at one point. It would have been really neat to see.
Citrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
tasti man LH
Contract?

Ok, thanks for all of the replies so far! I actually had a suspicion it was budgetary reasons, but I just needed you guys to confirm it. It does make sense considering the money that went into everything else (the Delta Base sets, the SPD uniforms, Kruger's costume, the various alien costumes, the set for Gruum's base).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron View Post
Ball o Light had so much potential...if it were executed better.
Heheh, so true. XD
Old 03-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
betd1
Holding the Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasti man LH View Post
Ok, so right now I'm in the middle of PR: SPD (actually, near the end of it), but throughout this entire season, one thing has been bugging me a lot: how come there isn't an actual human actor for the Omega Ranger? While I haven't watched its Sentai counterpart, Dekaranger, I know that Omega's counterpart, DekaBright, DOES get to demorph and we see his human actor. So how come in SPD, all we get is a ball of light? Did something happen behind the scenes that prevented Disney from securing a human actor, or was it a creative decision from the writers?

note: and yes, I would prefer a better explanation besides: "Because kalish is an asshole that ruined the entire PR franchise!!!!11!!11!"
like they said it was budget. and it's Dekabreak
betd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
Merlin
The Phoenix Reborn

And to confound you even more, Nova Ranger is also a non-unionized extra, voiced by Clare from Mystic Force!
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
tasti man LH
Contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by betd1 View Post
like they said it was budget. and it's Dekabreak
whoops, my bad. It's still gonna be awhile before I get around to watching Dekaranger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
And to confound you even more, Nova Ranger is also a non-unionized extra, voiced by Clare from Mystic Force!
No, no, I already know that Nova Ranger will appear in the finale. Plus, if I understand correctly, her counterpart only had a single appearance in Deka as well...
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #14
archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

Bright did show up on Dekaranger. But she was featured in the entire episode. Unlike Nova randomly popping up for 3 minutes.
archer9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

But DekaSwan had one episode for...five minutes? Didn't Kat Morph in that episode, and the finale? At least that suit got more use in PR.
Sir Koji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
sky_queen3
Blue Ranger Power

My knowledge is very hazy, all I can recall is someone saying that they regreted not fighting harder to get a human actor for the Omega Ranger, that's about all I know, sorry I'm not of much use.
sky_queen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #17
ShadowJoker
Crimson Comrade

You know, it's sad that they couldn't afford another human actor but the worse part of it all is that Sam was treated like crap, writing-wise. It's like the writers said to themselves "Man, he doesn't have a human form, so no one will care about him?" because they never did anything remotely interesting with the character. The only thing I remember about Sam was him stepping up to defeat the Mirror Monster in a Sky focus episode, only because the sentai footage demanded so.

Even if they couldn't get a human actor they still could have done plenty of interesting things with his character. They could have had some funny scenes with him trying to adapt to being in a suit for whatever crazy reason, they could have gave him a personality that streched beyond saying "Force From the Future: Omega Ranger!". It would have been nice for him to maybe talk about his fututre-life, maybe talk about how much he loves up to Z and thanks her for helping him instead of having a stupid character reset where he mentions NOTHING about Z.

We've had other non-human rangers and allies who were very compelling, such as Phantom Ranger, Blue Sentrion and Magna Defender-and the list for villians is twice as long. Psycho Rangers were in less episodes but showed more personality than Sam the Omega Ranger.
ShadowJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #18
christopherjohn
Power Ranger

The problem with giving Sam storyline and development is that he really wasn't there. There was limited possibilities also with Sam coming from the Future to really effect his story. They could of done things though. For one they could of brought back the kid Sam for a few episodes dealing with the older one. Where events have changed and Ball of Light same needs to help kid Sam. Never revealing who he was. Develop kid Sam you develop ball of light Sam because they are the same character. That to wouldn't of cost to much and would of only taken up 2 or 3 episodes tops.
christopherjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #19
archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

Instead they wanted to waste episodes for clip shows and that stupid bridge can't count.
archer9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #20
mrsmith10
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Koji View Post
But DekaSwan had one episode for...five minutes? Didn't Kat Morph in that episode, and the finale? At least that suit got more use in PR.
Yes but DekaSwan and Kat were present during all of their respective series, unlike DekaBright and Nova Ranger. They still at least had an actress for DekaBright, who actually had a purpose in the episode, giving character development to Tetsu. Nova Ranger just randomly appeared and really didn't have any purpose in the SPD finale at all.
mrsmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote