RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > General Discussion

Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1
EricTheDragon
Wait for it.

NASA discovers new life. This changes everything. For real.

Well, holy shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired.com
Hours before their special news conference today, the cat is out of the bag: NASA has discovered a completely new life form that doesn’t share the biological building blocks of anything currently living in planet Earth. This changes everything.

At their conference today, NASA scientist Felisa Wolfe Simon will announce that they have found a bacteria whose DNA is completely alien to what we know today. Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

But not this one. This one is completely different. Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don’t have to be like planet Earth.

No details have been disclosed about the origin or nature of this new life form. We will know more today at 2pm EST but, while this life hasn’t been found in another planet, this discovery does indeed change everything we know about biology. I don’t know about you but I’ve not been so excited about a bacteria since my STD tests came back clean. And that’s without counting yesterday’s announcement on the discovery of a massive number of red dwarf stars, which may harbor trillion of Earths.
Source: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...inds-new-life/

Best joke involving the Power Rangers, Schwarzenegger, or immigration gets a cookie, GO GO GO!
EricTheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
D-D-D-Demon!
Demon, dood!

It really is amazing to see that some of our notions that seemed to be set in stone have been turned completely upside down. Truly a revolutionary day for SCIENCE! everywhere.

Also, there goes years and years of Biology classes out the window.
D-D-D-Demon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:35 PM   #3
rangerspider
Power Ranger

Cool
rangerspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:41 PM   #4
gagecook45
The Original Badass

NASA discovers new life. This changes everything. For real.

So if we find thinking lifeforms on other planets, is it gonna be required we learn THEIR language to graduate high school too?
gagecook45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:07 PM   #5
fenyx4
Ranger-In-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Demon Ranger View Post
It really is amazing to see that some of our notions that seemed to be set in stone have been turned completely upside down. Truly a revolutionary day for SCIENCE! everywhere.

Also, there goes years and years of Biology classes out the window.
Thank goodness I'm taking biology next semester. @_@ (if openings are available, that is!)

Reminds me of this quote, and is partly why I dislike studying science at a few points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
One reason why mathematics enjoys special esteem, above all other sciences, is that its laws are absolutely certain and indisputable, while those of other sciences are to some extent debatable and in constant danger of being overthrown by newly discovered facts
And calculus is disputable!

Anyway, it's a pretty interesting find. Goes to show us that science as we have come to know isn't set in stone. Maybe we can achieve faster-than-lightspeed travel like the Power Rangers one day!
fenyx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:22 PM   #6
JediMB
VIP Ranger

So, applying Evolution logic to this... what is the arsenic's arsenic?

EDIT: Polonium. That works?
JediMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM   #7
momotroniuity
Slappin' the grapes

http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/po.html

Yeah.
momotroniuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:38 PM   #8
CobraMorphBT20
Come on 2012.

The best part of reading this for me was that some religious music was playing from the tv in the next room.

My question is, is this bacteria the reason that lake is toxic, or did humans cause this bacteria to mutate in some way? Is there enough similarity in arsnic & phosphorus that with some non-devine intervention, this bacteria was created? Because if it was, then while this proves that life can happen in forms "we" dont know about, it could also mean that it probly wont.

But I hope, as anything that proves those middle-eastern religions false, the besster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagecook45 View Post
So if we find thinking lifeforms on other planets, is it gonna be required we learn THEIR language to graduate high school too?
Nah, their planet would be too far. You dont have to learn japanese, do you? Mexico is just across a line in the sand that people want to pretend no longer applies.
CobraMorphBT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM   #9
maslego
Idea Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMorphBT20 View Post
Insert politics here
Wow that didn't take long to turn this political/religious. Good job
maslego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:43 PM   #10
D-D-D-Demon!
Demon, dood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMorphBT20 View Post
The best part of reading this for me was that some religious music was playing from the tv in the next room.

My question is, is this bacteria the reason that lake is toxic, or did humans cause this bacteria to mutate in some way? Is there enough similarity in arsnic & phosphorus that with some non-devine intervention, this bacteria was created? Because if it was, then while this proves that life can happen in forms "we" dont know about, it could also mean that it probly wont.

But I hope, as anything that proves those middle-eastern religions false, the besster.

Nah, their planet would be too far. You dont have to learn japanese, do you? Mexico is just across a line in the sand that people want to pretend no longer applies.
I sincerely, SINCERELY hope you are joking with this ENTIRE post.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:43 PM   #11
cpstargazer222
...Waffles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslego View Post
Wow that didn't take long to turn this political/religious. Good job
And with that, thread closing can't be far behind.
cpstargazer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:54 PM   #12
Wes Janson
#1 Knucklehead

I enjoy threads like these because they provoke some real thinking. However, intelligent discussions can happen without devolving into politics and religion. So simply put, if this offends your political stand or religious upbringing, DO NOT POST. Consider this a warning for all of you. From this point on, even hinting and dancing around the issue will net you an infraction.

If this gets too out of hand, I'll close it. But let's see if my faith in the RB community is misplaced by leaving this gem open.
Wes Janson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:56 PM   #13
y3k
180 pounds of pure ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagecook45 View Post
It would be quite the coincidence if we would be naturally capable of speaking an alien language, and vice versa. We are of course assuming they would be communicating primarily via sound.
y3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM   #14
Isamu_Ozu
West Side, bitches!

When do the Pod People, Spawns of Ctuthlu, Brains That Won't Die and Rita Repulsa attack and enslave us? Gods, I hope it isn't next Tuesday. I have an important doctor's appointment.

Uh, what does this have to do with aliens, exactly? All this proves is that scientists are not as intelligent as they thought they were. It was found on Earth and, unless the bacteria arrived by tiny ships or they were created by the Asgard, they are native here.
Isamu_Ozu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:15 PM   #15
Kiliana Nightwolf
Black Wolf/Falcon

And here I was hoping NASA would announce that aliens are real. Dang it.
Kiliana Nightwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:20 PM   #16
ElusiveWookiee
Powered Up For More

I've been following this story a little. I find it funny that NASA makes an announcement about life unlike anything on Earth.......which was found on Earth.
ElusiveWookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:25 PM   #17
Cyan
Great Britainarian

Imagine a suit made of that! With the too-cool superpower of poisoning the user and a slow and painful death! Like alcohol, but quicker! Imagine the marketability.
Cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:43 PM   #18
ZeoGoldRanger
Black thunder ranger

I was like, really hoping that they discovered life elsewhere. When I hear nasa involved, i think aliens. Ive been into ancient alien theory for a while and thought maybe fo ra moment that truth was discovered. Gotta say im disappointed that its just about some poisonous bacteria. Granted its important yes, but its not "news conference" worthy to cause this sort of buzz.
ZeoGoldRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM   #19
D-D-D-Demon!
Demon, dood!

This completely changes the way we thought of biology. How is that not news conference worthy?
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:50 PM   #20
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Demon Ranger View Post
This completely changes the way we thought of biology. How is that not news conference worthy?
Because most people don't think of biology. *rimshot*
johnboy3434 is offline   Reply With Quote