RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > General Discussion

Old December 1st, 2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Tiger Power
Future Zeo Ranger 5

Why Did They Wait So Long to Replace Jason, Zack & Trini?

I've been watching MMPR S2 this week and noticed how many episodes there were where they used archive footage, stand ins or different actors for the voice overs for Jason, Zack and Trini.

Why exactly did they wait so long to replace them? So it because they didn't know if the actors were leaving or staying? Or were they in the middle of contract negotiations?
Tiger Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
cammy85
Thank you!! I am Cam!!el

Well, it's harder to fool adult viewers than it is to fool child viewers for one thing although that wouldn't have lasted too long. Once they actually WERE fired the staff quickly introduced Rocky, Adam and Aisha then somehow had to make it so Jason Zack and Trini WERE replaced.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Poweranimals
Iron Mouse!

They had already filmed the episodes but weren't around for post production. The crew was also in a crunch given they had walked out with little time to prepare.
Poweranimals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Darky
AFIR 2: The Final Battle

They weren't fired
Darky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Tiger Power
Future Zeo Ranger 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranimals View Post
They had already filmed the episodes but weren't around for post production. The crew was also in a crunch given they had walked out with little time to prepare.
Yeah but there were plenty of episodes where they used archive footage of them. Like in The Power Transfer and they would just shoot the side with Tommy, Billy and Kimberly. Granted by that episode they were already gone, but there was an earlier episode where they did that too.
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM   #6
RitoRevolto
Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow

Production was at a near-standstill while they did casting across the country for replacements. It was in a hurry, but they still had a few episodes to put out, and they still needed some time to introduce the new characters. And so, we got what we got.
RitoRevolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:06 PM   #7
MetallicRanger
Power Ranger

I think they're last episode was either Two For One or Opposites Attract. They were definitely gone by Zedd's Monster Mash.

Man, The Ninja Encounter were such terrible episodes...it was obvious that they were trying to drag out production as much as possible...
MetallicRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:47 PM   #8
RitoRevolto
Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow

They jumped ship right after Opposites Attract, actually. But because ADR was way behind that at the time, they were using soundalikes by Green No More. Because they knew what was coming, they wrote in a line for Zordon to make Tommy the leader in White Light.
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:48 PM   #9
mikejonas
not the missing Jonas bro

Also remember that even in later years when new episodes are aired only weekly, PR has always been cranked out at a rapid rate, with three episodes being filmed simultaneously in 9-day work blocks. One can only imagine how much crazier things were when PR was producing 50 episodes a season. That "waiting so long" you're referring to, really, was probably just a couple of weeks of principal photography as the production sought out replacements.
mikejonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM   #10
RitoRevolto
Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow

But that they went eight episodes without half their cast and 16 without ADR for them is insane.
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:54 PM   #11
KCJ506
I'm a man of my word

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallicRanger View Post
I think they're last episode was either Two For One or Opposites Attract. They were definitely gone by Zedd's Monster Mash.

Man, The Ninja Encounter were such terrible episodes...it was obvious that they were trying to drag out production as much as possible...
Opposites Attract was their last episode. That episode shows that they originally didn't plan for Tommy becoming leader because Jason was the one to say "It's Morphin Time!"

I agree with you about Ninja Encounter.It really shouldn't have been three parts. What was the point of bringing back the Hatchasaurus? The entire second part could have been cut. It didn't advance the plot at all.
KCJ506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM   #12
Tiger Power
Future Zeo Ranger 5

It just seems to me that they should have made Rocky, Aisha and Adam the new rangers right after Ninja Encounter instead of having an episode or two between those and the Power Transfer. Although I don't know, maybe they shot the episodes in a production order that is different from the air order. I have no idea. Logically to me they should have made them the new rangers right away. When I was a kid I had no idea that they had replaced them, but now it's so blatantly obvious that they were stand ins and different voice over actors it makes me laugh.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Crazy Davey
I'm Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
Well, it's harder to fool adult viewers than it is to fool child viewers

This is somewhat true. I was 10 or 11 when these episodes started airing, but I had a hint that something was wrong... my excuse at the time was that Walter, Austin and Thuy were in the washroom at the time and couldn't do their voice overs XD
Crazy Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM   #14
Yahtzo
Power Ranger

Yeah when i was a kid i didnt notice a thing. All i remember was one day we had Jason/Zack/Trini and the next we had Rocky/Adam/Aisha and i was sad because Jason was my favorite.

Now at age 18 its so obvious what was going on, i can barely watch mid S2 anymore, with the fake voices for jason/zack/trini and the spliced in footage, just terrible. Should have just had a 3 parter where they get it done and over with.
Yahtzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #15
UltimatePRFan
Power Ranger

Ninja Encounter was terribly drawn out, if they showed the new kids could fight like in the early Power Transfer eps, why do that stupid tournament with stunties and their faces covered and the baby chase and all? Seems like they just used up valuable resources. Also, having Tommy dress in Green for three episodes just so they could use a few old scenes of the Rangers together was dumb, they could've just cut between new and old footage like in the Zord fights.
UltimatePRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 05:35 PM   #16
Ranger Series Black
Banned

When I was a kid, I definitely noticed something was up.

Especially when the footage of Jason Zack and Trini kept being reused... and them suddenly having no speaking parts

These episodes were definitely PR at it's worst I'd say. The editing was REALLY bad.
Ranger Series Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM   #17
badassbrachio
10 Years, Too Awesome.

I Cringe(sp?) When "Jason" Is Fighting Zedd With Red Dragon And Torr.
badassbrachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:17 PM   #18
Yahtzo
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassbrachio View Post
I Cringe(sp?) When "Jason" Is Fighting Zedd With Red Dragon And Torr.

Yeah Jason's "other" voice was terrible. Zack/Trinis fake voices were actually believable.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM   #19
badassbrachio
10 Years, Too Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahtzo View Post
Yeah Jason's "other" voice was terrible. Zack/Trinis fake voices were actually believable.
Kind Of Like "No Way!" From Green With Evil Part 5.
badassbrachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM   #20
Yahtzo
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassbrachio View Post
Kind Of Like "No Way!" From Green With Evil Part 5.
Yeah i remember that! wtf was that?