RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 4 19.05%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 3 14.29%
Kamen Rider Fourze 5 23.81%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 6 28.57%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 3 14.29%
Other (Say what in the thread) 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 15th, 2017, 09:47 AM   #1821
timegold
Bioluminescence

Ikkou's setup is reminiscent of that Megaranger episode where the team's suddenly given a death sentence, and it's executed with more impact here after expanding on it, by having this extended to a plot arc, and by Yousuke taking such an active and risky move to develop antibodies. The fact that he didn't know it would work, and that his own life was not already at risk, makes this quite a noble move, but it does reflect a selfless version of that brotherly bond.
timegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #1822
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

I sometimes do wonder that they take shorter ideas and adapted them into longer term and see what happens. I sort of saw a bit of that in Gao with the Shirogane arc, which is basically a long-term version of "Riki takes an evil weapon the good guys shouldn't have and becomes evil because of it" from Ohranger; so maybe having that Megaranger episode be an inspiration for Ikkou's entire arc here probably allowed for the greater subtlety and strength, alongside a direct rivalry that built up with Monmarva thanks to the earlier part of the series. It all just worked out somehow very well.

-----

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart: Ep. 27: Let's Finish the Remaining Homework! Pears and Storms and Zakenna!

So when Nagisa takes a free pear, it's alright...but if Vilblis takes a free pear, it's evil?

If there is one thing consistant about Nagisa, it's this: she hates homework and would do anything but doing it. Unfortunately with summer break being more or less about homework when it isn't about goofing off, it's something that has to get done; so for once she goes along with it and completes it (with Honoka's help obviously). But therein lies another problem: if one assignment is done, another may eventually pop up that she doesn't know about; and in this case, it's her "independent study", doing something she wouldn't typically do. Luckily in a show like this, something comes along to basically get her what she wants even when she needs it the mosts...and here it's Akane deciding "I need pears for my restaurant, so let's go to a pear farm", which obviously just is the right thing at the right time. Considering we've seen Nagisa on a farm and harvesting before (at least twice in Futari), having her go to a pear farm really isn't something I'd consider something new or exotic for a girl like her, but really it's all just one big typical plot to just get it over with and give them something to do before returning to Verone. It's made all the stupider when we have the whole "we have to get all the pears harvested before the storm...and oh yeah, our neighbor called just before you left and can't do it, thus giving you the opening to do something and help us out regardless of needing to get back to write the report...and don't forget the next attack by Vilblis who wants you dead due to Shiny Luminous' negative impact on our master". (and oh yeah; Hikari transforms again for the first time in a while...) It's very dumb and very cliche...though while you do wonder about the fertilizer, I do like they don't at least use pesticides on the pears, so they're sort of organic...ish, dependant on other farming habits they use.
Ataruman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #1823
AshiusX
WelcomeToTrumpocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataruman View Post
Kamen Rider Fourze: Ep. 35: Mon-Ster-Broad-Cast & Ep. 36: Seri-Ous-Last-Song

Sort of wonder if JK's dad ever got him into Phish.
Never heard of them.
Quote:

The alignment of the stars has never been as bright as is suddenly is for Gamou and the Horoscopes: with all Cosmic Energy now centered around Amanogawa with the collapse of Kyoto's Hole and the discovery of Libra's Laplace eye, the search for the final six Horoscopes can now go on unhindered without any need to just build up Zodiarts to get to that point.
They seem to be the kind of villains who see the heroes more of a tool to their final goal rather as an obstacle almost.
Quote:
The first of these discoveries is a rocker from another school that has been discovered to be the Capricorn Zodiarts, whose power involves using his music to manipulate emotions and feelings. However, Capricorn has a bit of a backhistory that relates back to the Kamen Rider Club, in particular to the gossiping nuisance that is JK: back in middle school, the duo got together in hopes of becoming a band, falling apart ultimately and going their separate ways.
JK hasn't aged since middle school. Good genes.
Quote:
With this friend now a powerful musical Zodiarts and JK suddenly having his own secret radio show listened to by the Amanogawa students, things couldn't be any brighter for the two of them, especially when JK discovers the power and the factor that his music actually enhances JK's own voice making him become the voice that everyone stops and listens to...all while his partner seems to make them all willing subjects and even affects others within the club like a bizarre Kengo/Yuuki/Tomoko rock trio that got inspired by this.
Wish, they hinted at this before.

Quote:
Unfortunately the truth remains: JK's friend is a Zodiart (let alone a Horoscope) and the factor that he is using this power to help himself is just a bad thing. Considering all that the team has been through, having a Horoscope being used like this is something that the KRC should have spoken up against sooner; but his devotion to his friend and "his future" ends up breaking them apart; even preventing Gentarou from using his Cosmic Switch since the power is somehow tied to his connection to all of the KRC together. It all just feels ridiculous in that the power of friendship and alliances is so strong here that it breaks apart the team and prevents Fourze's trump card; and it gets more ludicrous in that in order to use friendship to defeat "fake friendship", Gentarou has to literally learn rock music from JK's father (a former rock star who didn't go anywhere and decided to move on with his life) in order to save him and make him realize he should live for today despite the promises of tomorrow. While it tries to be fun, the overusage of friendship here is hollow and continues to just keep showing JK as someone who, despite his knowledge of friendship, keeps using things to his own advantage and never really seems to learn his lesson.
In another show, the friendship stuff would be out of place since it is such a big theme here. It works.
AshiusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 06:08 AM   #1824
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

My problem with the arc remains: JK knew the consequences and knew that his friend was a Horoscope and still sided with him until near the end because of having a closer bond to him and his dream despite him mutating into a monster. There is such a thing as loyalty, but with the fact that he's one of the 12 "super-monsters" the season has, he should have been more cautious or apprehensive at taking his help. If it weren't for the Horoscope thing, it's understandable, but JK is supposed to be on the side of those trying to stop those things and whatever Gamou's plans are.

-----

Ninpu Sentai Hurricaneger: Scroll 33: Mammoth and Six People

"These ain't no Meatballs!" (yeah, love that movie and most of the other "ball jokes" can be overused)

For the most part with the Monmarva/Ikkou situation finally dealt with, this episode is more or less finishing off the loose ends of the arc, both with the Third Spear and with Saturnakura's "pets", the Fangarou/Fangirus. The Hurricaneger seem to fail at first in dealing with the combined Fangarou monster, but are forced to pull back mostly because of the clownish Spear breaking his dog whistle, which I do think is a silly but effective way of buying for time for the team. Unfortunately, Tau Zant is in a hurry for Fangirus to do it's job because of another prophecy that could get in his way: apparently while the effects of Fangirus and the "wolfmen" he created could be enough to reveal "that" by word of the "Evil Will", it will all fail if "a secret weapon" is released by the ninja side. It's a nice way for the villains to know that they have a limited time to do what they're supposed to and that if this fails, then this latest opportunity to reveal "that" will go by the wayside. Said "secret weapon" is actually known to Shurikenger, who makes the other ninja give up their Shinobi Medals in order to activate it. There have been hints prior that there seems to be a single uniting element behind the Karakuri technology and that they all come from a single source; making me wonder if there was once one united school that split into the three sides (Hayate, Ikazuchi, Space Union) due to something in the past. As Shurikenger tries to activate the weapon, the ninja still fight but just stick with their general weapons, doing a good job holding the giant back but still getting hurt in the process.

Ultimately, the "weapon" is activated and the team regains their Shinobi Medals, ultimately revealing...a giant mammoth karakuri. This "Revolver Mammoth" doesn't really look that impressive (especially compared to something like in, say, Zyuranger), but it is a powerful war weapon regardless, using the Karakuri Balls themselves as part of it's attack methods both in releasing them for the other giants or in it's own power in it's finisher. It is enough to finish Fangirus as predicted and basically puts another hinder in Jakanja's path to "that". And as if that's not bad enough for them, Ikkou finishes his business with Monmarva, bringing forth a prophecy the Third Spear had that he would die by KabutoRaiger's hands. But while he seems to be dying, there are some things that seem off: the cocoon still in his lair in the Centipede and the suspicious "but..." in his final speech...which means he may not be done with yet.
Old February 16th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #1825
timegold
Bioluminescence

I find the mammoth to be an odd choice; the Hurricanegers' animals represent sky, land, and sea, while the Gouraigers' represent the darkness of the underground, so Shurikenger's represents... ancient time? Who knows, it might make sense in some way. And he's already an odd combination of motifs.

Regardless, it is quite the gesture to trust Shurikenger with their medals, considering how many secrets he's hiding from them and how disadvantaged they were in battle temporarily.
Old February 16th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #1826
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

I think the trust is less with Shurikenger and more with the Space Union School, who seems to have a greater, higher authority and is in close contact with Sensei Hinata. (well yeah Gouraiger but...they don't have a teacher so they just go along with the Hayate at this point) If Gozen permits it, I think they all just go along with it.

-----

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart: Ep. 28: Verone Panic! Ghost-Hunting the Naughty Princess

Sometimes we just need to be like that cicada: standing there doing nothing, being used, then returning to doing nothing.

Considering the current circumstances with the Gardens of Light and Rainbows, having someone trying to interfere with elements in the midst of the battle between the Cures and the Guardians is not potentially a good thing. Thus when "something" sneaks across the void using the Prism Stones behind the backs of Elder and Wisdom, it isn't necessarily a good thing...made all the worse by it knowing that what it's looking for is at Verone Academy and ends up bringing up an old, scary legend of a ghost there that is haunting the facilities! This leads to a typical Scooby-Doo esque situation where something is causing chaos and it's up to the main characters to figure out what it is. It's made worse by a feeling of dread Pollun has by this new arrival; it isn't because of the Guardians or the ghost but something he seems to actually fear. (and when Pollun's scared and/or upset, I consider that a good thing) Obviously Circulas attacking amidst it all doesn't help things out (they think he's the ghost but he just happened to be in the neighborhood in hopes of eliminating Hikari), but the answer turns out ultimately to be another new fairy known as Lunlun, the "Princess of Light"...and presumably Pollun's little sister. Obviously she was the ghost and the one causing all the chaos, mostly in hopes of finding Pollun...and Pollun's dread is he can't stand said little sister and really doesn't want her here. The overcutesy element of Lunlun and her crybaby aspects potentially could lead to problems...but as I said: the fact Pollun hates her and that she basically is finally the one thing that actually can make him feel like he's something more than "a cutesy mascot" actually to me is a good thing. And as I said: if Pollun frowns, I laugh. (oh and the legend: apparantly Akane's class made it up so...eh, do they have to tie her to everything now due to Hikari?)

-----

Ninpu Sentai Hurricaneger: Scroll 34: Mushroom and 100 Points & Scroll 35: Sparkle and Shamisen

Earf's defenders never surrender...unless you're Blue Racer.

Having just been through the ringer with the climax regarding Ikkou and the scorpion, 34 decides to take us in a completely different direction...and when I say that, I mean we get a Wendinu plot! (surprised that the Kunoichi Spears get episodes that literally bookend that whole dark arc with Fribeejo's prior) The plan is basically a wackier version of a typical Showa plot: recruit kids into a cram school, then stuff them filled with brainwashing to use against all allied ninja forces! The Showa aspect really does work here in that it feels very much like something you'd expect from an early Showa series such as Denziman, with Wendinu going through some Shichi-henge to actually actively engage the parents to join the school, which while using some classic Showa elements (villainesses doing Shichi-henge, particularly the whole BFJ-Flashman period) actually does make sense in that they get the parents to make the kids to join the cram school instead of just getting kids off the street to go to the school. As for the "wacky" side, that actually is more closer to some of the comedic homages to Showa that you'd see in a series like Carranger...and that's where our "guest Shurikenger" gets involved when it's Naoki Domon/Blue Racer this time around. There are a lot of Carranger elements in this (and the next) episode, with here more just being the general craziness of everything (and somehow a similar cram school scheme that the Bowzock used) plus this weird obsession Wendinu has with the hired assistant, which you'd expect more from Kyousuke and Zonnette than Naoki and...well, anyone. (Naoki was more the coward around women and that is in full display even when Shurikenger takes his guise) The brainwashed kids part more reminds me of something from even earlier in Showa, such as in J.A.K.Q. and BFJ, with of course the ninjas realizing that you have to attack the puppet in use than Wendinu the taskmaster. Of course that doesn't mean Wendinu is a pushover considering she ends up knowing how to grow into a giant herself (still more BFJ/Denzi elements, particularly if you remember something like the Hederer and Banriki fight) which probably shows why she is in charge of the giant growths this season...but ultimately it ends up being short-lived due to her love obsession and we go through the motions at the end. It wasn't much compared to the emotional turmoils Fribeejo put Nanami through, but it was still in an "homaging Showa" way as Carranger did.

And speaking of Carranger, we get a second set of homages in 35 under another set of circumstances. This time around, we actually focus on Shurikenger, who believes that the only way to further along the training of the Hayate and Ikazuchi ninja is to have them learn how to use the Ninjamisen, this shamisen-like weapon used to summon the Revolver Mammoth. Unfortunately as free-willing and silly as the Space Union ninja is, he's a bit too much of a harsh taskmaster as a teacher, not knowing how to deal with being a leader and forcing the Hurricaneger and Gouraiger to work to exhaustion with little success. Ultimately in order to learn how to teach them, he ends up taking the form of...well, Kyousuke Jinnai (Red Racer), which here is a peculiar situation that I think goes back to Carranger to understand. In this case, Shurikenger is Kyousuke as he was circa-Carranger: the hotheaded one who wants to be a leader but who can't temper himself and make himself work in a way that benefits the team. On the other hand, Kyousuke's actor here is more the role of VRV Master, the quirky but powerful instructor who tempers and assists the team, still having fun but knowing how to approach them and help them along despite not seeming like the type who would be of any help to anyone. By taking Yuji Kishi's form, Shurikenger gains some more temperments alongside his quirks in order to fully train the team in the Ninjamisen (with an actual shamisen master) and thus allow for the team to defeat a peculiar situation of Thurgane piloting his own flying squirrel-inspired puppet (which I think is actually a bit cooler than the "puppet Thurgane" piloting an even bigger puppet like with the Magnetama mecha. It's a nice balance showing how his character has evolved...especially in comparison with some of his elements used by Naoki's actor last time.

Oh and in the midst of it all and despite what happened when he fought KabutoRaiger, Monmarva isn't quite dead, somehow being reborn and reforming himself over the last couple episodes leading to...well, probably more Gouraiger torment.

Last edited by Ataruman; February 17th, 2017 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Shushutto 34-35
Old February 17th, 2017, 09:43 AM   #1827
timegold
Bioluminescence

In terms of the Carranger themes, the salient one in these episodes is education, on all levels - whether it's the Ichitarou level or the reckless gang level. It's rather important for different reasons here, considering all the training gone through in ninja school which couldn't possibly prepare them for every scenario.

I guess Naoki once had to protect that princess (where he had to do his own shichi-henge), and this was just wacky on all fronts.
Old February 19th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #1828
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Yeah, should have thought of the education part but somehow with the wackiness and what was in front, it really did feel less obvious...well that and it's just easier to go with the actors.

-----

Kamen Rider Fourze: The Movie: Everyone, We're Going to Space!!! (director's cut)

(note: Yeah it's after 38, but since it is a holiday weekend, I just wanted to see this now instead of waiting so...I'll pretend they know what Aquarius Zodiarts is)

I can't believe that an entire movie can be summed up by...soy sauce.

Can a machine be befriended by Gentarou Kisaragi? Considering that Fourze is the Rider who basically has befriended artifical lifeforms and even Super Sentai heroes, the possibility of the friendliest Rider ever befriending a machine is possible. But there has to be a machine to befriend first. This ends up coming due to his and the KR Club's recruitment into a group known as the OSTO Legacy, whose mission (despite their suspiciously over-clumsy secretary played by DekaYellow and suspicious roller skating chair) is to stop a satellite known as XVII (pronounced "X-V-2", not "Roman Number 17"), an AI-run machine who, when fully operational, has the potential of destroying anywhere on Earth. This is basic James Bond/Skynet level of destruction and recruiting a bunch of kids to stop it just seems bizarre in itself...but considering it's the KR Club, their based on the moon and the connections they have (including an evil chairman who basically wants to eliminate all competition to his own world domination schemes and is willing to let some Riders take the fall for him), they really have no other choice. (besides it's as Yuuki said: what's the point of being on the moon when they cheat through a magic door) Unfortunately, there are those trying to stop the KR Club from accompliishing this mission, namely a woman by the name of Inga Blink and a "Ironman" (Tetsujin) known as Black Knight who keep trying to attack them at every turn and prevent them from attacking XVII for some reason.

Ultimately, it all turns out to be a big lie and trick: XVII is actually a good satellite, Inga Blink was trying to protect it, and OSTO Legacy....are two other rebellious Tetsujin (more or less the whole thing is based on "Space Tetsujin Kyoudain" and the main characters are the villains here) who wanted to sabotage the satellite to regain their power and use it to...well still use the satellite to destroy the planet but under them. I do like the twist here that the satellite is the good guy (especially with it's HAL-like eye; it isn't often the HAL character is good) but somehow the Kyoudain aren't very good villains, being just really boring beings who believe that machines are superior and that humanity should be crushed by them accordingly and whatnot. With them lost, it really is more about a lot of the action sequences and the elements of Fourze itself that really do sort of make it work...not perfectly but it works. The first few action setpiecs are great; mainly the ones with Fourze fighting on the truck against the Black Knight and, best of all, an entire showcase of all of Fourze and Meteor's abilities against twelve "Dummy Horoscopes" used by Inga to try and slowdown the KR Club from helping the Kyoudain siblings. That fight is probably the best in the movie (though there was one funny moment with Shun, Miu and JK at one point) They try to work a love story between Inga and Ryusei, but it really does nothing but try to work up some fan elements sad to say, particularly between him and Tomoko. And while there's a brutal battle near the end where Gentarou ends up at the Kyoudain's mercy due to all the switches getting busted when he moves XVII's attack to the moon to stop it (part of his crazy plan of "if I do this, he'll be friends with me", the montage of him being beaten up by them while the rest of the KRC try to pass out all 40 switches to everyone they know just feels...gratuitous. It is neat we get the connection and I do like the whole implications leading to the final switch of the movie (if 8 people's bond can lead to Cosmic, then 42 can lead to something even more powerful), but it just felt really long when it goes back and forth with random running scenes of the club while Gentarou's being beaten up in space. But hey, it lets him fuse with Meteor in...another ugly suit, so there is that. And yeah, Gentarou does succeed in befriending XVII, but that was more or less about working out some differences anyway.

And now for one last important thing in this movie: the next Kamen Rider (the one I nicknamed "Mr. Shabadoobie" last time). As I can say so far, Wizard's first battle was...supremely impressive. His styles are way more acrobatic than many KRs and combined with the usage of various magical abilities (including his own giant hand and a Kage Bushin fire kick), it really just shows him off really well. I know some are going to say "Wizard beat four Horoscopes, he has to be powerful"; but remember, they were dummies so...basically they're not the original and I doubt the real Sagittarius Zodiarts (AKA: GAMOU) is going to go down to some stage 1 wizard guy, no matter how shiny his bling.
Old February 19th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #1829
timegold
Bioluminescence

Ah, the movie with the fanservice, the love triangle, the homages to other shows, and the moon which somehow has enough oxygen for a motorcycle's combustion engine but not enough for people to breathe. The artificial intelligence angle to friendship is a typical but neat plot.

As for Wizard, people complain about lots of things, but one thing almost everyone praises is the choreography. The cameo here was rather Pleasing.
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #1830
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Yeah that moon thing...I didn't notice considering that they were super robots and the whole final battle was ridiculous anyway with Gentarou fighting on top of Powerdizer against the siblings' vehicle modes. For the great fights the movie did have (the Dummy Horoscopes/All Switches/Wizard cameo fight and maybe the early one with the truck chase), things really went downhill near the end.

-----

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart: Ep. 29: No Way... Seriously... Really? Pollun's Great Babysitter Strategy!

Seriously, Uragaros, I'd expect you to be at least strong enough to break a bench with Shiny Luminous...I'm losing faith in you.

Lulun's arrival has made things all the worse for Pollun, particularly with how she keeps pestering him and poking him and just making it all the harder for her brother to do...well, anything. It's really gotten to a point where Pollun just wants a bit of time to himself and Hikari and less time with that bratty crybaby fairy of a sister that has come to the Garden of Rainbows to pursue her brother! It's hard to say how good a brother Pollun is to Lulun but considering how he's basically hoping that by dropping her with Nagisa and Honoka may give him some peace, it really seems to show that what he considers being a brother has nothing to do with being a brother and more to do with probably his own fairy sanity. Hikari sort of has little knowledge of what it means to have siblings (despite being around Nagisa and her brother for half a season by now), but somehow this situation forces her to learn fast, particularly when she's left with a little girl whose brother decided to run off to do something for her (turns out at the end it's more or less to find a bear she dropped...oh and the girl's VA is Cure Scarlet's; so basically she goes from cute to evil, mask-wearing and playing a violin...that sounds about right) Obviously when Uragaros attacks (with his braincells either dropping even further than before or just a terrible interpretation of just a bad explanation by Circulas), it all more or less ends up being a culmination of everything, particularly with the whole sibling situation; and of course here it more or less means a power situation as well since somehow Lulun has a power that Hikari may need in the future, which the Elder of the Garden of Light calls "destiny"...but I just call dumb luck combined with conveinence for another fairy to be stuck with the Cures. (then again it awakens like how Pollun's used to...so really there are a lot of similarities between brother and sister...)

-----

Ninpu Sentai Hurricaneger: Scroll 36: Ring and Revenge

With all the housewives surrounding the bug guy, you'd think Ikkou is a Kamen Rider!

The Gouraiger have been under a dark cloud of angst and problems ever since they were introduced, with the idea that they wanted to prove themselves in the light, but held back by everything from joining the Jakanja for a common cause to Ikkou's little malady with the scorpion. However once all of these problems are finally dealt with, the Kasumi brothers finally seem to have the ability to reach out and prove themselves in the light of respect they've been aiming for all this time. They're helpful and friendly to the community around them and feel like they've changed from the "creatures of darkness" they were at the beginning; alongside the factor that they still appear to be the superior ninjas compared to the Hurricaneger in their skill from the darkness. Unfortunately, problems seem to keep finding ways to crop up for the Kasumis, and one of the main ones in that facet remains Monmarva. Somehow despite Ikkou finally appearing to kill the Dark Spear, he ended up "cloning himself" and becoming reborn, claiming now that he's more powerful than ever! I'm a tad confused about the Monmarva clone, particularly as a means to keep the spear relevant and useful as a foil for the Gouraiger with it holding all of the memories that the original had. However one thing I do like about it is that the original Monmarva did things to make sure that this "clone" is even better than the original: he's more powerful as a warrior and, more importantly, seems to have all of the limits regarding his psychic visions removed, allowing for him to be able to take in and interpret much more of the Evil Will's visions that could lead to "that"! With Jakanja's constant failures regarding how to figure out what "that" is possibly hindered by how cryptic the visions have been, having a means to finally read them without any limitations really furthers the villains along to the potential that they'll eventually figure it out and thus bring about what they've been trying to achieve all this time. And of course with it's greater power, Monmarva's attention remains on the Gouraiger, wanting to take them down and in particular torture them to their doom while killing anyone else in his way, including the Hurricaneger, by use of special rings that sap away at their life force.

Unfortunately despite how powerful the "new" Monmarva is, his fault seems to be that the removal of limits may have made him too powerful for his own good. He may be able to read the Evil Will's meteors a lot better, but he ends up reading in too much information, to the point that he uncontrollably mutates into a giant monster form! It sort of probably shows why the original Monmarva didn't decide to go this far with himself, but probably didn't mind having a clone as a last ditch effort since he knew it would either discover the "truth of That" or destroy Earth in the process. And obviously with the Gouraiger in the line of fire, it may take a bit to deal with this. (but then again Oboro and Shurikenger seem to be working on something themselves that could perhaps solve this issue...)

Last edited by Ataruman; February 21st, 2017 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Shushutto 36
Old February 21st, 2017, 09:47 AM   #1831
timegold
Bioluminescence

I don't have much to say about this episode, although the light is a good analogy, and "that" still remains clouded in darkness, highlighting the Gouraigers' progress.
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:15 PM   #1832
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart: Ep. 30: Do Your Best, Lulun! The Power of Light that Weaves the Future

Seriously what's the point of having goggles on a roller coaster if you don't wear them!?

As revealed last time, Lulun basically is the "other half" of Hikari's power set, releasing a strange power that sort of bases everything we saw with Pollun prior likewise with this other fairy: it's her power, thus it's her fairy. It isn't something I can say that Pollun likes but considering things and the situation Hikari is under, she sort of has to take on the burden of another fairy alongside schoolwork and Akane's cafe. It doesn't help that she's sort of wearing herself thin with everything has has to do with her life alongside her own potential, thus sort of leading to Nagisa and Honoka deciding out of the blue to invite her for a day at the amusement park (the same one where important things tend to happen for these two) to just relax. Unfortunately relaxation and Hikari don't go hand in hand, especially considering the Guardians now know that Lulun is a major problem to them and not something that can be kept around Hikari lest it just leads to more problems later. Circulas more or less decides to take initiative to deal with it and Hikari in the meantime, and of course that basically ends up leading to Shiny Luminous wanting to protect her and Lulun fully releasing that power within her, the one that she supposedly has the power to "weave the future" with. It's tough to say what the power is yet, but we see a greater light power being released within her, and possibly a boost in the Marble Screw Max Sparkle for the Cures, so whatever it is just is going to be a greater power for the Guardians and is just alerting the boy further with their connection. And it doesn't help their cause that Baldez has been mysteriously missing for a while now, all of while the Guardians keep watching the Cures become stronger furthered by another fairy now boosting them...

-----

Ninpu Sentai Hurricaneger: Scroll 37: The Third Spear and the Great Escape

While I prefer the Hurricane Wingers, maybe they should have started with Bio Turbo first before moving on to motorcycles.

It seems rather obvious with this two parter that the only reason Monmarva was brought back is to more or less tie up some loose ends and further some elements along that were left behind or ignored during the original's pursuit of Ikkou. Of course with the clone more or less reduced to a giant monster that "eats" both of the Gouraiger, that becomes all the more difficult on their end. Then again, you can't really say there is anything more than can be done with the Gouraiger regarding the Third Spear, so they spend most of this episode trapped inside the monster and it's more up to the Hurricaneger to further themselves to at least save their partners. And the method of saving them is...motorcycle riding. Seriously, most of the episode is basically about Nanami and Kouta learning how to drive the Gouraiger's bikes so they can do a literal stunt of "jumping three cars", get inside monster Monmarva, and get the Kasumi brothers out so they can just deal with the giant. I'm fine that it is Nanami and Kouta who do this considering how much Yousuke has done this season, but it's tough to say it's a captivating thing to watch them learn how to jump cars on motorcycles as it sleeps just so they can go inside the maw and get the Gouraiger out and they can finish it off with giant robots.

Speaking of the karakuri machines, the time that they have to deal with the giant Monmarva clone is actually enough for Shurikenger and Oboro to work together on their own special plan: the development of a similar system to Furaimaru to allow for a final fusion of Senpuujin, Gouraijin and Tenkuujin into one final giant mecha. That system...is basically an Earthbound karakuri version of TriCondor, the machine used by that space princess in the Hurricaneger movie to allow for the team to create the big combination of all three. I'm sort of happy that the Hurricaneger actually recognize it and thus sort of gives continuity that could have gotten lost. It's finally enough to finish off Monmarva once and for all (let's hope he didn't create any more clones considering last time)...but all is not lost for Jakanja because somehow during it's giant phase, Tau Zant used his own powers to read into the reckless Monmarva's mind and pull out some vital information regarding "that", merely saying that somehow there was just a negative effect of the latest meteor shower on him (I still say that the clone probably had something removed from the original that caused it) and may now have something that will push him one step closer to what he desires. So regardless of it being the loss of a Spear (again), Tau Zant may have still gotten what he wanted out of this bizarre experiment.

Last edited by Ataruman; February 22nd, 2017 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Shushutto 37
Old February 22nd, 2017, 09:42 AM   #1833
timegold
Bioluminescence

This is the payoff of the training sequence from the previous episode. And it's some rather odd but nice symmetry: the Gouraigers had to learn what the Hurricanegers experienced, and now it's the other way around, to some extent, with those motorcycles. Even such an everyday task isn't something they're used to, but they're that determined.

And TriCondor is nice, even if only for setting a trend. In this story, though, the union of the three ninja schools is quite symbolic, and is a good reflection of the unity learned by everyone. This is something that even the days of the week couldn't accomplish.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 07:05 PM   #1834
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

I do like that the movie sort of links back to the TV series with this. They could have just ignored it altogether and it still would have worked (especially since TriCondor does work the same way as Furaimaru in allowing for mecha combinations), but the acknowledgement of TriCondor and thus that the movie happened does allow for a greater stronger continuity.

-----

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart: Ep. 31: Baldez Reborn! Break Through With Teamwork at the Last Second!!

I'm still waiting for my amazonian Cure girl, Toei. Seriously, they can be cute and muscular too!

First and foremost, the title: it's a lie. Baldez has been "reborning" himself for a few episodes now and this just finishes it off, with him only appearing at the start and the end to sort of secure the deal.

As for the episode itself: it's another lacrosse tournament time...and you know what that means: over the top excuses for the Cures to be sucked away from Nagisa's big moments all to fight, all in the midst of the team losing big time in the first half and then coming back in the second with Nagisa scoring the winning goal...and yes, that's what happens in practically every single lacrosse episode and now it's happening in this one too. The only interesting thing this time is that somehow Verone Academy is trying to raise new girls to at least prove themselves so that they aren't just over-reliant on Nagisa, and it basically ends up being a key to this match due to the school facing them (a group of well trained but not as cute musclegirls..seriously they never seem to make muscle girls cute like the lolis who keep saving the world season after season!) actually doing their homework and realizing "we really should be preventing that star captain from scoring lest we may end up losing. I do like that they strategize a way around it...but then Nagisa and the others get abducted away to some dark world football stadium (what no fainting people!?) so we can get angsting Nagisa complaining about the "most important game of her life and that she isn't playing in it"...when obviously the Guardians aren't going to care about that sort of thing. Also, Zakenna football players...because. The whole purpose other than to guarantee our cliched Verone comeback with Nagisa not around is to sort of further show off Hikari's further enhanced powers with Lulun; while Extreme Luminario still seems the same, the power does seem to at least allow for a homing power that feels rather overpowered; let alone the ridiculousness of Shiny Luminous not even throwing a punch and just thrusting her Heartiel Rod at Uragaros due to said light powerup. But really outside anti-amazon bias and Baldez being given a big deal when barely figuring into the episode, it's still just another in a long parade of lacrosse episodes that really are just boring now since they keep ending the same way. I have an idea: why not have something happen to Nagisa..and the team losing despite giving their all!? (oh yeah, bad role model for the little girls...never mind...)

-----

Ninpu Sentai Hurricaneger: Scroll 38: Demon Sword and Balloons

Somehow I believe Paul Williams is still doing his job in space in delivering people.

The dark legacy of Ikki Kasumi within the Ikazuchi Way is something that I'm a bit surprised remains an important and unrepentive element within the season considering how nearly every single parent of a Sentai hero is as good as the heroes they raised. (give or take some like the Rokumeikan; but even there Kaori had a good butler so...) In many ways, Ikki's actions, even against the strain of typical Ikazuchi methods, ended up influencing both his sons in different manners and thus prolonged their exposure in remaining in the dark side of ninja activity. Ikkou has come to grips and to terms with Ikki's methods, particularly as he had rejected the idea that the Ikazuchi need the power of "that", which his father tried to access to the point of madness and death. But on the other hand, Isshu's feelings and methods regarding their school remains tied to his father: to him, it was never really about "that" and always about reviving the Ikazuchi and having it stand in the light alongside (or earlier, instead of) the Hayate Way. While the alliance with the Hayate/Hurricaneger have softened the concepts, seeing the idea that even the Ikazuchi mecha could be "modified" to accompany a more wind-based power set (made worse with Shurikenger basically having his own wind-based powers) has further solidified Isshu's frustrations once again, to the point that he runs off and discovered one last legacy of the Ikazuchi his father left behind: the Kiraimaru.

This weapon is a legendary sword mastered by Ikki that uses his hatred and anger and turns it into power. For Isshu, who is still obsessed in thinking that his father's legacy had to be accomplished now and with nothing stopping him from doing it, having the Kiraimaru something that he considers a good thing: this is his father's weapon, thus this had to be a key in furthering and reviving the Ikazuchi legacy. But unfortunately as powerful as Kiraimaru is, it also has a dark legacy, one that even the Jakanja know and understand from their own research even as Isshu tries to use the weapon against it. As powerful as Kiraimaru is, it's main ability...is to attack only your friends and allies, not your enemy. This is a double-edged blade and I think furthers just how dark a person Ikki Kasumi was even from the flashbacks. Ikki was a loner, someone who went against the grain even of common thought within his own school and tried to do his own thing to the point of near expulsion and ultimately his own death by the madness in trying to restore the Gouraiger for the purpose of "that". Having a sword that hurt allies while not hurting the enemy works for that advantage: Kiraimaru is his defense both of his own anger and hatred as well as in keeping him alone against anything that a ninja school would teach about teamwork, allowing him to pursue the things that ended up making him infamous. While Isshu wanted the power he believed would be enough to make the Ikazuchi revived and respectable, he only got burned in using a weapon that, once again, proved that his father was a twisted, dark individual and that he and his brother had to find their own paths in life and not follow in his footsteps. He may have been a good father in some ways, but Ikki Kasumi was a terrible Ikazuchi ninja; and for someone who had hoped to find his school in better proceedings, this isn't the way that Isshu needs to go. Ultimately, he ends up breaking apart the sword himself; still possessing some of it's power to destroy Saturnakura's latest minion, but finally breaking the legacy and obsession of reviving the Ikazuchi in a manner that only his father would want. He's finally ready to perhaps revive a more moderate ninja school and perhaps temper his own obsessions like Ikkou before him.

As for the Jakanja: I didn't mention the much mostly because Tau Zant really seems to have reached a point having seen Monmarva's vision that he seems to not care anymore about what the current Spears are doing...but does seem to know that the seventh, final Spear is coming...and considering things, I believe we're in for a "Sunday, bloody Sunday".

Last edited by Ataruman; February 23rd, 2017 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Shushutto 38
Old February 23rd, 2017, 09:41 AM   #1835
timegold
Bioluminescence

As far as bad parents go, the closest that Sentai has had were cases like Kakuranger, where the Tsuruhime's father wasn't exactly great, but still well-intentioned and undercover, and cases like Bioman, although Dr. Man wasn't the parent of a ranger. The Kasumis' father is a new case, and really reflects his abusive nature which inspired the shadowy ninja arts. And the dark sword kind of becomes a symbol for Isshu trying to overcome his past, once he realized its potential. It furthers the "seeing the light" arc that he experienced, including in the Mega Blue episode.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 06:58 PM   #1836
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

I would say Chouryou is a bit worse than Hakumenrou; at least as stupid of a father as Tsuruhime's is, he wasn't just a villain and abandoned his own kids just so he can fight for the group presumed to be the villains. (then again it really was more a hint of how gray the Dai/Gorma war was but it was still early on) Then again, there are quite a few bad parents in the 90s and 00s when it comes to this franchise; none of them are probably as unrepentive as Ikki Kasumi, but I doubt anyone would want to be raised by the likes of a Wataru Asami...or even abandoned for a long time like a Mondo Tatsumi (or Isamu Ozu; yeah both have reasons but still...)

-----

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart: Ep. 32: Protect Us From Darkness! This World's Most Important Smile!

If Shiho and Rina don't stop hogging all the odango, they'll turn into them!

Aside all of the improbable comback wins that the lacrosse girls tend to do, there are occasionally other duties that Nagisa does with her classmates, such as Shiho and Rina. Coincidentally about the same time as their first win of the latest tournament, they're also the editors of the school newspaper...and somehow Nagisa, the idiot that she is, forgot that she was in charge of the paper's human interest article! Amazingly that ends up being remedied thanks to Honoka...well, actually thanks to Sanae, who reminds Honoka of an old-fashion odango place that she tends to buy her sweets from. Visitng it really sort of gets at one of the better elements of the season whenever it's done right: just this appreciation of this older, more traditional element of Japanese culture and the appreciation of how things used to be and just the embracement of things from a simpler time. Of course, Hikari ends up there too (Akane loves the stuff too) and there has to be a plot invovling her being old enough that she wants to maybe retire since no one wants her to keep doing it and a bunch of family issues and whatnot, let alone dried up business. Obviously considering the episode, the article and pictures by Nagisa and Honoka sort of save the shop and at the same time reaffirms the old woman's need to please herself just as much as she wants to please her customers. Oh...and Vilblis decides to make a fire Zakenna instead of an Odango one because...I'd say she really had no purpose being there but...standards of the franchise and whatnot. She tries to question how their power keeps growing parallel to each other, which really just feels out of nowhere but at the same time just a rerun of the whole mess with the Dark Seeds and their power growth parallel to the Cures last season...and considering how that season blew it, I don't think I want to go through that mess again.

-----

Ninpu Sentai Hurricaneger: Scroll 39: The Seventh Spear and the Mysterious Stone & Scroll 40: Decoy and Ninja Law

You're all wrong: the real identity of Shurikenger is....A DEADBEAT DAD WHO IS NEGLECTING HIS CHILD SUPPORT PAYMENTS BY CLAIMING "I'M FROM THE FUTURE!!!!"

Two mysteries have emerged within 39 that seem to define the current state of both the Hurricaneger and the Jakanja missions. On the Hurricaneger side, it is actually a two-fold mystery: who is Shurikenger...and who is the mysterious "Gozen" that is backing him? From a lot of analysis by Oboro, it seems obvious that the basis of the karakuri system and the Karakuri Balls is some sort of association with the Space Ninja Union that Shurikenger is associated with; and while Sensei Hinata continues to talk to Gozen, he's been keeping his daughter and his Hayate students on the outside in order to protect whatever the Space Ninja Union is trying to do. A good chunk of this first episode is more or less the Hurricaneger pursuing Shurikenger in hopes of finding "something" out...but the guy he disguises as is a bit of a cheat in that while he seems to be important, he just happens to be "some famous food taster", which considering a lot of the other disguises Shurikenger has taken, really feels rather out there and more a distraction to keep the Hayate off his tail. That "food taster" guise is actually portrayed by Domon from Timeranger (with this the first time any Timeranger actor has appeared since the series ended...then again Domon's is the only one until Sion's finally shows up in ToQ); my interpretation here is both regarding how easily "plug and play" the Timeranger have to be in adapting to the world they came to, plus Domon's more "everyman" role within Tomorrow Research: he never really had a real job like the rest of the squad thus he just did whatever he could to help like Shurikenger's disguises tend to be; plus it probably referred back to the time he tried to run that soba shop...

On the Jakanja side, the big question likewise is "what exactly is 'that'"? As mentioned prior, somehow Tau Zant got what he needed from Monmarva (well...his clone...) despite him going insane and losing himself reading the Evil Will's last meteor shower and used the knowledge to summon the last and most powerful of the Seven Spears: Sundaru. Sundaru (being played by the same guy who was Booba/Doctor Ashura) is probably the most powerful of all of the spears with ease, but he also is the one who seems the most accommodating towards Tau Zant's primary mission of finding "that", forcing the other Spears to abide by his orders and to work together, but still trying to allow for the space to do their own missions if he sees fit. Thurgane immediately finds himself at odds with Sundaru; though the Seventh Spear does allow for him to release his most powerful puppet yet in combat (one that is immortal and distributes disabling spores), he goes against the idea of everyone emerging and fighting the allied Earth ninjas if it goes against his own plans and disrupts them. In a way, it's tough to say why Sundaru let Thurgane go first, but it mainly appears to be as a distraction while he uses a mysterious stone he gained to absorb the Hurricaneger’s and Gouraiger’s life energy, building up to something important that he wants that, again, is more for Tau Zant’s will than his own.

40 moves forwards with both the elements of the Hurricaneger and Jakanja colliding and coordinating with each other regarding their similar but different threads. On the Jakanja side, we see that despite the evil ninjas being as united as ever under Sundaru's plan, Thurgane continues to want to handle things on his own and prove his own worth despite what Sundaru is trying to gain. On the other side, the allegiance of Shurikenger and Gozen continues to show difficulties regarding who is working with who and what exactly the purpose of being a ninja is. This comes to a head when the Hurricaneger and Gouraiger decide to protect Shurikenger from Sundaru's stone in believing he'll be the best one to fight if someone has to survive the battle. But then...Shurikenger ends up screwing with that trust when he ends up using a special spray devised by Gozen, one that makes them immune to Thurgane's puppet...but at the same time stops all motions and movement to prevent them from attacking! The intent of the spray is more or less Gozen's punishment regarding how any school other than the Space Ninja Union acts: the idea "Gozen" believes is that a ninja has no purpose but to serve their master, which is how Shurikenger acts on behalf of the Space Ninja Union's leader. However considering the teamwork and alliance that Shurikenger has with these Earth ninja, he finally decides that Gozen isn't necessarily right about this: sure it's important to work for another, but it's also important to do the right thing as opposed to just always following orders; leading to him neutralizing the protection and letting the team work together to defeat the puppet. It really sort of shows that despite his allegiance, Shurikenger is willing to do the right thing for all as opposed to just his master if pushed to do so.

Last edited by Ataruman; February 24th, 2017 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Shushutto 39-40
Old February 24th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #1837
timegold
Bioluminescence

Quote:
You're all wrong: the real identity of Shurikenger is....A DEADBEAT DAD WHO IS NEGLECTING HIS CHILD SUPPORT PAYMENTS BY CLAIMING "I'M FROM THE FUTURE!!!!"
"Mommy, is that food taster my daddy? Is he still traveling for work?"

These episodes push the limit on the trustworthiness of Shurikenger, who still sticks with the secrets he swore to hide, but in the end he pulls through and takes one for the team. He's realized how valuable they are, even if they can't out-ninja the ninja of ninja. In a sense, these attitudes of secrecy and teamwork are reminiscent of Timeranger's setup (minus Ryuuya's motives), though it feels a bit more like Ayase than Domon.

While the Seven Spears might've been taking a long weekend, their Sunday is anything but relaxing - brutal and conniving. It's the final shakeup that shapes the dynamic until the endgame.
Old February 25th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #1838
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by timegold View Post
"Mommy, is that food taster my daddy? Is he still traveling for work?"
I think somehow Mirai had a lot of things not mentioned during those first 11 years of life.

-----

Not sure I should make a new thread for this but...

Well, it's finally happened. After everyone else has finally had their say (and maybe due to just wanting to try it himself with the movie coming out and a bunch of DVDs and time he has to do this on occasion) and having survived nearly 32 Super Sentai series (the 32nd will be done next weekend), StrangerAtaru has finally decided to do something long overdue: a review of the Power Rangers franchise! It's probably not going to be as comprehensive as everyone else whose done this, but I hope that I do have some fun with it and maybe get some things written out and thought about that maybe could be an eye-opening...besides, I haven't seen these episodes in years and the last I actually watched Power Rangers was a couple episodes of Ninja Storm early on; though I have seen MMPR 1-3, Zeo and Time Force in full.

So journey back to 1993, when a jock, a dancer, a gymnast, a nerd and...whatever the heck Trini was were recruited to save the world from an evil space witch and began a legacy (well...a legacy as first seen by us considering all the groups that came before them) that continues to this day!

StrangerAtaru's (occasional) Power Rangers Franchise in Review!

Day of the Dumpster

Seriously, teenagers with attitudes...does Zordon really know what he's saying in that opening? (yeah it's from the opening but still, it's the first thing that strikes me)

One thing I never got from the opening: I know it's "you Mighty Morphin Power Rangers"....but I always misheard it as "NEW Mighty Morphin Power Rangers"...which considering 1993 and that this was a new franchise, did...sort of make sense.

Those are the dumbest looking space outfits ever...even if Zyuranger used them originally.

Space dumpster, really? Do they even know what a sealed container looks like? Did they even have concepts of dumpsters in space?

I like Baboo's concern, despite the puddle nearby.

And here's where in Zyuranger the astronauts were killed mercilessly...Rita's a bit more merciful than that.

"Mori-Mori-Mori-Mori-Morio-cho Radio!" (so, when's Kira Yoshikage showing up?)

The radio man knows about Ernie's fruit shakes? Must be something more in them.

Really like Zack does feel very much an equal to Jason.

And Billy looks like that a karate lesson loser.

And here come Bulk and Skull...and their epic theme.

Um..the dancer is a fighter, Hip-Hop-Akido?

And there goes the karate move of...dodging.

Meanwhile on the moon...

And why aren't Kim and Trini doing anything...heck even Zack feels more part of the class than them...yeah not their thing but still.

Um, Jason, you were a beginner when you were a kid; Billy is...um, late teens, or older.

And now we get our Tai Kwan Leap lesson from dumb and dumber.

That's not advanced Jason; it's a side kick. See even Bulk can do that.

And on the mat! This comedic timing is classic.

Billy didn't do...anything in his first lesson.

Spinach juice; no fruit or anything? (must explain Billy's growth spurt later)

It's California, these things happen all the time.

And meanwhile...annoying robot and talking head. (and teddy bear...wait what?)

Overbearing and overemotional youths? At least Sentai heroes tended to be young adults in this era.

Seriously if it wasn't for Zordon I would expect Billy to recite a certain bit from "Troll 2" about not moving.

FILTERS!

Dunno, Kim; could be the Mall of America or that one in Dubai. (at least Billy likes it; see no need for martial arts and he has a purpose already)

Seriously, Alpha's only reason for existance is Saban regret he didn't do Bioman earlier. He's just like Peebo!

Atomaton (doo-doooo-doo-doo-doo)

Trapped in a time warp; never made sense but roll with it.

Eh, I don't see anything wrong; she's just flying around on a magic bicycle.

You call dinosaurs? How the hell does Zordon know about what they are? He could have called them "giant lizard things" if he's interdimensional and trapped in a time warp.

Metamorphosis: so...they're going to be butterflies?

Mastodon's aren't dinos!? And clever...never thought a mastodon was clever. Elephant, sure but mastodon?

Kimberly is smart? Um....the valley girl?

Seriously if Zack and Kim leave, you could just use the other three as Sun Vulcan or Liveman!

And...Zordon still acts like they're his team when they decline. Seriously, they'll be back.

And that could explain why he didn't teleport them back into town. Stalling!

I like Finnster. He at least feels like a working class guy.

I'm with Zack: giant floating head is reeeely suspicious.

Putties go...um....bloobidy bloobidy bloo.

Get her chest!

And Zack is...dancing.

And there goes the glasses. That starts a trend.

Trini almost got one....heck she was more competent then Jason.

IT'S MORPHIN...no wait, too soon.

Um...what about the Putties? Teleport them to Angel Grove when the Putties are still...back near the command center?

Like how casual Jason's "we're going to save the world" is. If he knew...

And Goldar appears there...because....stock footage?

Zyuranger, Zyuranger, Densetsu no senshi-tachi yo.

Hey, Squatt gave her the growth idea? Guess he isn't just some dumb orc.

Stock footage time for the Dinozords....first appearance, thus it's going to be a long one

What stereo? Zordon didn't install that!

Find it weired it took to ep. 6 for Zyu to get the Megazord but here we get it in ep. 1 of Power Rangers...toy commercials.

The tank mode was always weird in Zyuranger.

(Animaniacs voice) RIGHT!

Goldar's first voice is weird.

Hey Zordon didn't mention the sword! And there goes Goldar. Wimp. Chicken. Griffin thing.

And thus the first of many, many headaches.

About rule #3....um...you do realize how many public service Sentai squads there are right? Heck even the Zyuranger were too! (sort of)

No it's luck. Zack's right.

Affirmative!

Kim, shut up. You're such a brat...NOT!

Knock off the second-rate Peebo bit Alpha.

And freeze frame, fade to black.

Thoughts: Nothing bad to say about the episode; it's a classic opener to the season, the series and the franchise. Kids sent to save the world from an evil space witch, what's not to love? The valley girl bit for Kim gets annoying fast but she'll change (same with Billy the super-nerd but at least he feels right in the Command Center from the get-go); Zack at least is probably my favorite though.

High Five

So Trini...is she like some sort of kung fu or something?

Trini, your class...what about your class? All to watch Jason climb a rope?

It's called acrophobia, Kim.

Billy likes that, you know it.

Geek clowns? Is that a thing?

Monkey man....(sees season 3)...yeah, that works for the Red Ranger.

"The Bulk"...so now he's a fat Fonz?

Hey neat, an '84 Olympics punching bag.

And down goes the juice bar. Ernie better have this place ensured.

Rangers in a time warp...so we'll have an army of talking heads? Maybe they can all sing "Once in a Lifetime"

Great, Billy's already hacking into Zordon's stuff...there goes their privacy.

Trini: your perfect translator for Billy-speak.

And...right on top of Alpha.

Seriously, street talk? Sure this isn't how ALL the Alphas start out until reprogramming? (or is the Command Center near Watts?)

Congrats, Billy...I should have thought of it first but...giant floating head.

Stop that Alpha; it wasn't funny with Peebo! Heck it wasn't even funny in Robot Holocaust!

That plan makes no sense whatsoever but...the footage dictates it. (it's that or annoying kids that were sent to space)

"The babies"...boy I love her care for Finnster's creations.

Don't call him ugly; Bones is awesome!

Nah, he's fine. The removable head makes him more appealing.

Time device; it's a SPACE SHUTTLE!

Hey look it's Japan....or not. Hey it even has a Japanese flag on it!

And Zordon knows about the time device....how?

What are they doing? Um, being Putties.

Camoflague with those bright colors?

Jason and Zack: bros forever.

Right, let's have Trini split up...right around...a very high cliff area...seriously, whose plan was this?

At least Billy's more courageous Seriously, Trini may have acrophobia but when Billy's outdoing her...

Billy's calling for Alpha why?

Not the Morpher! Butterfingers.

Billy, you really need a more secure landing up there.

Kumbaya with Putties!

Dirtbag....good nickname for it.

And down goes the gray Momanschantz.

Morphintudinous? Stop making words up, Billy!

Oh this silly move....it's effective but still silly.

And never send your minions to a cactus patch.

And Zordon is congratulating them when there's still a crisis...why?

Zordon knows it's name and abilities already?

And there's our catchphrase...and it's Zordon who says it.

YOHOHOHOHO!!!!

Nice, laser swords (yeah but they look like it)

And how did Squatt and Baboo get there again?

Mission: Ridiculous.

And that's the problem with skeleton men: easily collapsable.

Well that was a short MotW...then again it didn't last long in Zyu either.

And oh yeah; here's a giant...and Rita's castle on Earth. (dang I wish the used the proper footage means).

See, the problem here is that this giant fight was BEFORE they got any of the Shugozyu; thus why Jason shooting it in the face was neat...in it's original context.

Now you're playing with Power. DINO POWER!

See, he really wants Zack. And that's even after what he did with Billy.

Zombie? Sure it was the Power Rangers? They fought a skeleton man and a giant but no zombie.

So 90s? Wrist communicators are at least Dick Tracey and he was way before your time!

Hey Zack, where did you get a mask of those skeleton men?

Thoughts: The episode was fun but disjointed; a big problem being the footage used and some stuff beoing done out of order (namely introducing the Megazord last time when the giant fight was before they had all the mechs in Zyuranger). Trini's fear of highs sort of just felt "there" as an excuse for a storyline to have her pull through; and the footage from that point in Zyu really felt like they were trying to make something to use it but it still really..didn't work. Was still fun though.

Teamwork

And now we go to high school...and we see Trini and Kim on an environmental committee...hoo boy, here we go.

Hey look it's that Rudy Rotton guy from Lazy Town!

Your pollution? Um, Rita...what pollution?

Something tells me Trump and the Koch Brothers would sabotage their campaign if this was 20+ years later.

You didn't ask them from the beginning?

Hey the boys have good excu...Zack wants to talk to Alpha? I thought that would be Billy's schtick? (and talking about Alpha in earshot of Angel Grove High students? What about Rule #3!?)

Eh, Bulk's being just repulsive, not evil.

Where did all that colored paper come from?

I'd say no gymnastics in the halls but...

More like recycling, not trash. (and who is that girl with Bulk and Skull?)

Rita has a waste dump on Earth...why?

Angel Grove Industrial Waste Site...yep, even in a perfect town like this, we have green slime and algae running amuck. And sinister synth music.

Hey maybe they'll fall into something and mutate into some cute animal mutants.

Why would you deliver petitions at a waste dump for environmental protection?

Always liked Trini's kung fu abilities.

You send a monster because they're fighting...why?

And this is about dance moves? Why does Alpha need dance moves? See, I knew the Alphas were all "hood bots"! (Dudettes?)

Seriously, they listen to Zordon at a moments notice and not the girls? Then again...environmental petition and all.

That's a very non-descript Minotaur.

Now Billy's naming monsters before they know their names! Are they all psychic?

Clayboys? I like "dirtbags" better

They didn't even get the contact or nothing! Everyone is psychic!

I don't care if it's a "male Zyuranger", the coloring and Trini always made it female to me.

Um Zordon, why didn't you give them the weapons two episodes ago?

ROCKS!

Well at least Rita knows to kick them while they're down.

Least Trini knows to fight and summon at the same time. And Kim...is psychic...as is everyone in this episode.

Why don't they show the images of Trini and Kim logging in?

Hey, it's a Voltron Lion!

This fight makes me wish they used the individual mecha more often in Zyu.

Wait what!? The tank mode? They didn't use that yet!

RETREAT! And the Minotaur is...

You should have given them these weapons sooner, Zordon!

They're talking while teleporting...why?

Hey the Minotaur's small again. If Rita kept it big, she could have won.

And again another non-contextual PR moment thanks to...Zyuranger's whole weapon arc.

Zordon's making the sword talk...sure that isn't Saba?

MOTH BREAKER! PTERA ARROW! SABRE DAGGERS! TRICERA LANCE! RYUGEKIKEN! HOWLING CANNON!

Nah this isn't Finnster's fault. I blame sending the Minotaur somewhere away from Trini and Kim!

That mess...seriously, why didn't Bulk clean it up? Oh and of course Mr. Kaplan runs off before they clean it up.

TIME-LAPSE CLEANUP!

Alpha, you're not Peebo...YOU'RE NOT EVEN COLON MOONWALKING! CUT OUT THE DANCING AND THE HOOD THING!

Thank you Zack for shutting that nutty bot down.

Thoughts: This is sort of where the high school stuff...and the obsession with the clubs and environmental mess...begins. I don't get Rita's plan here and, again, the footage just feels very mix and match. The cast works but the stories so far still feel rather weak and random as heck...but hey, still great at least seeing where the footage from Zyu got used.
Old February 25th, 2017, 11:04 PM   #1839
AshiusX
WelcomeToTrumpocalypse

I would say creating an another thread might make things easier to organize.
AshiusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM   #1840
timegold
Bioluminescence

I vote for keeping it in one thread.

Quote:
The radio man knows about Ernie's fruit shakes? Must be something more in them.
There's got to be some publicity for... the juice bar that never charges for drinks.

Quote:
And here come Bulk and Skull...and their epic theme.
It's funny, how it's the exact same theme over the years, but the context causes its tone to shift as their characters develop. It's still comical, but it's a different comical.

Quote:
It's California, these things happen all the time.
Tell me about it.

Quote:
Seriously, Alpha's only reason for existance is Saban regret he didn't do Bioman earlier. He's just like Peebo!
Needs more existential crises and questioning the worth of artificial intelligence.

Quote:
Seriously if Zack and Kim leave, you could just use the other three as Sun Vulcan or Liveman!
*twitch*

So... that means Tommy's going to be knocked up?

Quote:
I like Finnster. He at least feels like a working class guy.
He's refreshingly different (well, refreshing is an odd term for a show that just started up). A villain who isn't outright violent, just loyal to his craft and prideful of his work, all in dedicated service to an evil overlord.

Quote:
And there goes the glasses. That starts a trend.
He knew he had to eventually start wearing contacts for a reason.

Quote:
About rule #3....um...you do realize how many public service Sentai squads there are right? Heck even the Zyuranger were too! (sort of)
And boy, does that get cited all too often, even for teams that have nothing to do with Zordon.

Which brings up the ever persistent question of why. Obviously it wasn't to hide from the villains, because Rita knew who the Rangers were. And it wasn't some tax evasion scheme, because government officials knew the name and provided a space shuttle. Maybe the wall of separation was to avoid meddling in their lives, which couldn't have been super successful given how often their personal lives got caught in the crossfire.

Quote:
And down goes the juice bar. Ernie better have this place ensured.
There we go. I think we now have an answer for where the revenue comes from.

Quote:
Hey look it's Japan....or not. Hey it even has a Japanese flag on it!
As far as the Power Rangers universe is concerned, every city has a Little Tokyo or something. This was probably just the Japanese embassy.

Quote:
Jason and Zack: bros forever.
Yep. Friendship is a neat way of handling Geki and Goushi's closeness, of how the former needed the latter as sort of a check and how they paired up in footage every so often.

Quote:
Morphintudinous? Stop making words up, Billy!
Eh, the universe can't tell any better. He'd probably throw around phrases like "ribonucleic transmutation" and Trini would oblige.

Quote:
Nice, laser swords (yeah but they look like it)
Are wa nani? Are wa Bioman!

Quote:
And now we go to high school...and we see Trini and Kim on an environmental committee...hoo boy, here we go.
Never gonna give... oh, wait.

Hey, it's not super heavy-handed with its messages; always teaching a valuable lesson but not to the point of being overbearing. Kids watch for the violence action and incidentally learn community engagement and responsibility. At least, I hope that's what the parents got out of it.

Quote:
Why would you deliver petitions at a waste dump for environmental protection?
On one hand, engaging the opposition does open a dialogue, and brings to the forefront issues that may have been overlooked. And it could be a direct warning that there are watchdogs who have the potential of lobbying.

On the other hand, it could be a faster way of delivering the petitions to where they'd end up.

Quote:
Um Zordon, why didn't you give them the weapons two episodes ago?
It's the latest trend. Hiding all this secret knowledge for the sake of convenience.

"But wait, why didn't you tell us about this super powerful thing two years ago?"