RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions

Old December 31st, 2016, 03:44 PM   #1
⚡Lisa J
[insert sass here]

Interview with Gregory Mitchell, Former Sr. Director of Marketing for Bandai America

Interview with Gregory Mitchell

No Pink Spandex talks with Gregory Mitchell, former Senior Director of Marketing & Brand Management for Bandai America, all about the toy industry and the decision-making process from specs to shelves.

Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:26 AM   #2
RedRanger87
Apparently An Apologist

*looks at movie thread*

I think some people should listen to this considering paint apps on the toys is a point of discussion in that thread. Maybe this podcast could shed light on why there's not much paint on the toys?
RedRanger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:30 AM   #3
Xenotome
♥Debbie Reynolds♥

Lol, you think people care? Some people honestly think it's because Bandai's lazy... Like what? Really folks?
Xenotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:46 AM   #4
Kyle16
Figuring it out

Have they used Any paint on these new toys though? Its one thing to use less paint on certain things versus what they're trying to put out there for the movie. Also, being a movie and all I would think it would give them a little higher of a budget to work with.
Kyle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:52 AM   #5
Xenotome
♥Debbie Reynolds♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle16 View Post
Have they used Any paint on these new toys though? Its one thing to use less paint on certain things versus what they're trying to put out there for the movie. Also, being a movie and all I would think it would give them a little higher of a budget to work with.
Yes? The only ones that haven't had any in them are the Putties, which fits, and Goldar, which we don't really know the context of yet.

And it has nothing to do with budget. At all. Can they make these completely decked out with every speck of paint needed? Yes. Will the general audience for these toys buy them at such a high price point that they'd have to be to make them that detailed? No. There's a reason why we have a Legacy line and a regular line.

Toy economics is pretty simple, it's not just people being cheap or lazy.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:53 AM   #6
Kaigan
#2,128

Regardless, Bandai is still pretty lazy.
Kaigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:55 AM   #7
Xenotome
♥Debbie Reynolds♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigan View Post
Regardless, Bandai is still pretty lazy.
Based on...? You hanging around the office or something?
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:55 AM   #8
Kaigan
#2,128

There are plenty of kids toy lines floating around for the same prices that put far more detail into them and they sell. Don't even.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:58 AM   #9
Kyle16
Figuring it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenotome View Post
Yes? The only ones that haven't had any in them are the Putties, which fits, and Goldar, which we don't really know the context of yet.

And it has nothing to do with budget. At all. Can they make these completely decked out with every speck of paint needed? Yes. Will the general audience for these toys buy them at such a high price point that they'd have to be to make them that detailed? No. There's a reason why we have a Legacy line and a regular line.

Toy economics is pretty simple, it's not just people being cheap or lazy.
Well, the non rangers are mostly what I'm talking about anyway. And by budget, what I mean is that the average toy at the same price points seem to get way more paint.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:00 AM   #10
Xenotome
♥Debbie Reynolds♥

And you attribute it to laziness because? We don't know what varying toy companies have deals what factories, how many Human Rights violations they may or may not be guilty of. And you don't know how much more product they move than PR does so while their margins may be smaller than Bandai's are with PR they can make up for it purely on the number of units they move. We do not have the numbers. Calling their business practices lazy when we have no insight on how they or other companies arrive at them is silly.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:00 AM   #11
FalconRanger11
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRanger87 View Post
*looks at movie thread*

I think some people should listen to this considering paint apps on the toys is a point of discussion in that thread. Maybe this podcast could shed light on why there's not much paint on the toys?
Where do they go into stuff about the movie in that podcast? What are the time stamps?
FalconRanger11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:00 AM   #12
RedRanger87
Apparently An Apologist

Quote:
There are plenty of kids toy lines floating around for the same prices that put far more detail into them and they sell. Don't even.
But are those toy lines that sell way more than PR? Or are they below that?
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:01 AM   #13
Kaigan
#2,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRanger87 View Post
But are those toy lines that sell way more than PR? Or are they below that?
I'm willing to bet anything Marvel or Ninja Turtles sells more.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:01 AM   #14
Xenotome
♥Debbie Reynolds♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle16 View Post
Well, the non rangers are mostly what I'm talking about anyway. And by budget, what I mean is that the average toy at the same price points seem to get way more paint.
Well there's only been four, Rita has decent amount of paint and Alpha does as well. Then you have the Putty and Goldar.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:02 AM   #15
MerCurrySoul
Depor(a)dorable

Quote:
And you attribute it to laziness because? We don't know what varying toy companies have deals what factories, how many Human Rights violations they may or may not be guilty of. And you don't know how much more product they move than PR does so while their margins may be smaller than Bandai's are with PR they can make up for it purely on the number of units they move. We do not have the numbers. Calling their business practices lazy when we have no insight on how they or other companies arrive at them is silly.
This, and the more features = more money the toy needs to grab out of wallets.

I get some of you were burned by Ninja Steel's presentations so far or whatever, but when the ex-Head is actually trying to at least explain himself...
MerCurrySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:13 AM   #16
Xenotome
♥Debbie Reynolds♥

Quote:
I'm willing to bet anything Marvel or Ninja Turtles sells more.
That's the point. They have the volume to sacrifice cents per figure to regain it with number sold. And if you think some paint details are what's stopping a kid from picking up a PR toy compared to a Marvel one? No, just no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerCurrySoul View Post
I get some of you were burned by Ninja Steel's presentations so far or whatever, but when the ex-Head is actually trying to at least explain himself...
The only things I'm really down on are the Dragon looking kinda like shit (it never really looked GOOD though). I actually really enjoyed painting my Megazord though, and the gold I used looked much better than the golds they tend to use anyway so I'm happy. I was never really down for the Aux. Zords so them being in Megazords don't bother me and I love that we're getting posable figures of them to go along with RedBot!

Last edited by Xenotome; January 2nd, 2017 at 01:13 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:16 AM   #17
RedRanger87
Apparently An Apologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerCurrySoul View Post
This, and the more features = more money the toy needs to grab out of wallets.

Quote:
That's the point. They have the volume to sacrifice cents per figure to regain it with number sold. And if you think some paint details are what's stopping a kid from picking up a PR toy compared to a Marvel one? No, just no.
Hit the nail on the head. That's not to say Bandai is infallible. However, they have toys that don't sell as well as other brands. When Hasbro has a line of figures that aren't selling as well as they had projected, they cut paint and articulation.

Greg is explaining this in this podcast. Hopefully, that should inform people and change some viewpoints, but it seems unlikely.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:28 AM   #18
⚡Titanium321

Quote:
Doesn't that still come down to budget then? They don't want to spend more then they will make back on the sale and they don't want to sell it for more than the customer will pay, so isn't that a budgetary restriction in the end? At least a self restriction on the budget then.

Doesn't explain the mold issues on a variety of their products, though.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 01:51 AM   #19
Xenotome
♥Debbie Reynolds♥

What mold issues? Are we talking issues or changes?

Last edited by Xenotome; January 2nd, 2017 at 01:57 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:12 AM   #20
Kyle16
Figuring it out

Quote:
Well there's only been four, Rita has decent amount of paint and Alpha does as well. Then you have the Putty and Goldar.
I would count the zords as well. I realize we don't have a frame of reference but there's a lot of detail there begging for paint. Especially at their price points.

They still look like prototypes in this stage.