RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:12 PM   #61
Allio
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigan View Post
International trailers are rarely ever that different.

The new Spider-Man trailer had like, three different scenes.
true, guess I got too excited.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:13 PM   #62
Kaigan
#2,128
 
Kaigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanuphtr15 View Post
Is ghostbusters 2016 really a great example to use here...?
Sure, why not? There were still plenty of people who started shitting on it as soon as it was announced to be all women, way before we ever actually saw anything from the movie for ourselves. Then those people just never changed their minds, no matter how much was being put in front of them. Doomsaying for the sake of doomsaying.
Kaigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:13 PM   #63
Allio
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasso_opitz View Post
Reminds me of the Ghostbusters 2016 discussion. Same people doomsaying every little thing from the costumes, the CGI, the soundtrack, toys. Hell, one admitted to not even being a fan of Ghostbusters yet we were treated to the same criticisms everyday. Imagine if Rito wasn't a fan of Power Rangers at all haha!
considering how GB2016 ended up, perhaps not the best example to lead by. As that film had also ALOT of behind the scenes issues going on at the time, which affected alot of people's opinion.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:14 PM   #64
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop
 
Digifiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
well, international trailer didn't do much.
Why did you mention it and not link to it? It does actually have some new footage.

http://www.cbr.com/power-rangers-int...ler-powers-up/
Digifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:16 PM   #65
Allio
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
Why did you mention it and not link to it? It does actually have some new footage.

http://www.cbr.com/power-rangers-int...ler-powers-up/
not enough footage to warrant it I believe.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:17 PM   #66
Kaigan
#2,128
 
Kaigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
Why did you mention it and not link to it? It does actually have some new footage.

http://www.cbr.com/power-rangers-int...ler-powers-up/
No matter how many times I watch it, I can't find the "blink and you'll miss it" new footage. I'm not even blinking.
Kaigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:20 PM   #67
hasso_opitz
Blow It
 
hasso_opitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 20,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigan View Post
Sure, why not? There were still plenty of people who started shitting on it as soon as it was announced to be all women, way before we ever actually saw anything from the movie for ourselves. Then those people just never changed their minds, no matter how much was being put in front of them. Doomsaying for the sake of doomsaying.
Agreed! It's basically the same exact situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
considering how GB2016 ended up, perhaps not the best example to lead by. As that film had also ALOT of behind the scenes issues going on at the time, which affected alot of people's opinion.
It is the best example. It doesn't matter how good or bad it ended up being. If people can't judge this movie as "this will suck" based on everything they know about it, it goes for any movie.

If you think about it, the same should be said for people who think the movie will be good based on what they've seen. They need to be told not to jump to conclusions also.
hasso_opitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:25 PM   #68
Allio
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasso_opitz View Post
It is the best example. It doesn't matter how good or bad it ended up being. If people can't judge this movie as "this will suck" based on everything they know about it, it goes for any movie.
If you want to get technical, We learned everything about the movie six months prior.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:28 PM   #69
Kaigan
#2,128
 
Kaigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
If you want to get technical, We learned everything about the movie six months prior.
...No we didn't?

There's still a looooooot we don't know about this film. Like... most of it.
Kaigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:30 PM   #70
Allio
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,956
I was talking about Ghostbusters.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:31 PM   #71
Kaigan
#2,128
 
Kaigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
I was talking about Ghostbusters.
Ah, my bad.

We still didn't really know everything about that either, though. Hell, it's been out on video for a while and I still know nothing about it.
Kaigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:38 PM   #72
Pga20023
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 217
Boom comics are doing some amazing stories, i kinda wish the movies were based off the comics, this lord Drakkon/ hybrid ranger seems awesome

Pga20023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:40 PM   #73
Allio
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigan View Post
Ah, my bad.

We still didn't really know everything about that either, though. Hell, it's been out on video for a while and I still know nothing about it.
there was a leak in like Febuary I believe that essentially told the entire movie. It was before even the first trailer appeared, so to say "It was a coincidence" for the, I believe, 95% accuracy is a little iffy. Supposedly the person that leaked it was an editor on the film that got fed up with his job.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:48 PM   #74
rmssw
Super Mega Ultrazord
 
rmssw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitoRevolto View Post
If it's not going to be faithful to the show, why should we be excited about it?
I really don't understand this idea. What's the point of making a movie if it's exactly the same as the show? This is taking the CONCEPT of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and turning it into something new. It's attempting to expand the Power Rangers brand into something more than a children's show. The point is to adapt, not recreate. Seeing new things being done with the concept of Power Rangers is exciting. How boring it must be to be so narrow-minded.
rmssw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:51 PM   #75
Pga20023
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmssw View Post
I really don't understand this idea. What's the point of making a movie if it's exactly the same as the show? This is taking the CONCEPT of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and turning it into something new. It's attempting to expand the Power Rangers brand into something more than a children's show. The point is to adapt, not recreate. Seeing new things being done with the concept of Power Rangers is exciting. How boring it must be to be so narrow-minded.
George Lucas thought the same thing in 1998, but fans want their comfort zone, that is why the prequels were mediocre box office wise and the force awakens made 2 billion by just remaking episode 4

Last edited by Pga20023; December 23rd, 2016 at 12:59 PM.
Pga20023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:54 PM   #76
Kaigan
#2,128
 
Kaigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 17,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pga20023 View Post
George Lucas thought the same thing in 1998
George Lucas is a terrible filmmaker. The faults of those movies were not the idea, they were the execution.
Kaigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:54 PM   #77
RitoRevolto
Velveeta Goldar
 
RitoRevolto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmssw View Post
I really don't understand this idea. What's the point of making a movie if it's exactly the same as the show? This is taking the CONCEPT of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and turning it into something new. It's attempting to expand the Power Rangers brand into something more than a children's show. The point is to adapt, not recreate. Seeing new things being done with the concept of Power Rangers is exciting. How boring it must be to be so narrow-minded.
I'm not saying it has to be the same as the show. I'm saying it has to be faithful to the show. It has to be recognizable. Right now, the film is as recognizable as Power Rangers as the atrocious Super Mario Bros. movie was recognizable as Mario, as recognizable as the prequel trilogy was as Star Wars. Doing something "new" isn't the same thing as doing something right, doing something well.
RitoRevolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:56 PM   #78
hasso_opitz
Blow It
 
hasso_opitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 20,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
If you want to get technical, We learned everything about the movie six months prior.
If the script and all of the behind the scenes "drama" of this film leaked, unless it's the actual film leaking itself, we can't judge it. There's nothing technical about it. It's the same. If you haven't seen the film, it's all the same.

And GB2016 even got better reviews than I thought it would.
hasso_opitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:59 PM   #79
rmssw
Super Mega Ultrazord
 
rmssw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pga20023 View Post
George Lucas thought the same thing in 1998, but fans want their comfort zone, that is why the prequels were mediocre box office wish and the force awakens made 2 billion by just remaking episode 4
You don't know what "mediocre" means. The prequels were insanely successful for their time.
rmssw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 01:12 PM   #80
⚡Titanium321
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitoRevolto View Post
I'm not saying it has to be the same as the show. I'm saying it has to be faithful to the show. It has to be recognizable. Right now, the film is as recognizable as Power Rangers as the atrocious Super Mario Bros. movie was recognizable as Mario, as recognizable as the prequel trilogy was as Star Wars. Doing something "new" isn't the same thing as doing something right, doing something well.
But, in terms of recognizable qualities, if you look at the aesthetics of the PR movie, it still looks like it's Power Rangers, it matches enough to be familiar but also different. The Mario Bros movie had at most the coloring of their final act outfits similar to the game and nothing else that even came close as far as visual aesthetics are concerned.

The Prequels were instantly recognizable as Star Wars, though. All the visuals matched up. That's a terrible comparison to make. If you want to say its unrecognizable, you need something that is actually badly adapted so its hard to recognize like the 90s Godzilla or the movie Wanted. Something that visually doesn't line up.

But then, you kind of have to back that up by explaining how the PR movie is unrecognizable as PR. Not just that you dislike the designs, but how they don't look like PR at all. Can you do that or just continue to repeat "It's unrecognizable" without explaining that?
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fondue goldar, urine soaked goldar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.