RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions

Old October 26th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #1
Primo Ron White
The Knockout Game

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread -- Platinum State Warriors

We back!

Last night started off with a bang, as the champion Cleveland Cavaliers conquered the new-look New York Knicks. But, really, did anyone see the boys in blue taking this one when the Splash Brothers couldn't in seven games?

Speaking of which, the brand new and improved Golden State Warriors laid a golden egg against the San Antonio Spurs, who got sweet revenge for that loss they suffered to break their home winning streak last season. Opening night jitters, or was KD a mistake? You decide!

Now, on to tonight's games. We're just a half-hour away from the Dallas Mavericks taking on an Indiana Pacers team with Nate McMillan at the helm, the Wade-less Miami Heat doing battle with now Frank Vogel's Orlando Magic, Kenny Atkinson's Brooklyn Nets going to see the Boston Celtics, Tom Thibodeau is back and helping the Minnesota Timberwolves march in and claim victory over Dave Joerger having to prove himself a worthy head of the Memphis Grizzlies, the Sacramento Kings unfortunately don't get to start their season at their new stadium having to visit the Phoenix Suns, the Philadelphia 76ers start their year welcoming the now Westbrook-led OKC Thunder which will debut the long-awaited draft prospect Joel Embiid after spending two seasons recovering from multiple foot surgeries, and mah boys the Los Angeles Lakers will have the Houston Rockets in da building where I think we're all waiting for James Harden alone to embarrass the starting five of Larry Nance Jr., Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, D'Angelo Russell, and rookie Brandon Ingram. But it's a process!

#UseTheForceLukeWalton
Primo Ron White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #2
kc16
Tha Beast

Good to have the new thread open Primo, looking forward to another NBA season.

Started off poorly for the Knicks against the defending champion Cavs. Hopefully the Lakers can impress tonight against the Rockets.
kc16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Primo Ron White
The Knockout Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc16 View Post
Good to have the new thread open Primo, looking forward to another NBA season.
Yeah, I apologize to you and chronoxiong for that. None of the local sports reports I watched over the past week mentioned when the season started, so I assumed it was going to be November 1.
Old October 26th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #4
kc16
Tha Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo Ron White View Post
Yeah, I apologize to you and chronoxiong for that. None of the local sports reports I watched over the past week mentioned when the season started, so I assumed it was going to be November 1.
Your good. Surprised you didn't know when the season started, would have thought you would have run into ad or something. Then again I'm always pondering or looking for sports news majority of time.
Old October 26th, 2016, 08:06 PM   #5
MoonsKnight
as The Hopping Woman

Meanwhile, I've been counting down to tip-off for the past two months... LOL.

Last night's game proved what I've been saying about Golden State all summer - their starters may be a "superteam," but the bench leaves a LOT to be desired. Curry and Durant can't play all 48 minutes. The Warriors lost a lot of key pieces off the bench thanks to the Durant payday. The lack a good rim protector and consistent scorers off the bench. Bogut, Barbosa, Speights, even Ezeli at times were all key contributors for the Warriors. The Spurs are the more complete team, under the coaching of, let's be honest, the best coach in the NBA, possibly all of modern professional sports. I'm not entirely surprised the Warriors lost, though I'm surprised it wasn't closer - Leonard and Aldridge just blew the game wide open in the second half.

Cavs/Knicks... eh, yeah, pretty much what we all expected.

Who would have thought that Jazz/Blazers would be the closest and most entertaining game of the night? Damian Lillard went off. He's a man on a mission this year, I'll probably be pissed if gets snubbed in All-Star voting yet again this season.
MoonsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 02:09 AM   #6
Primo Ron White
The Knockout Game

Lakers win! Lakers win! Do you believe in miracles?

82-0! We can do it! #Clarkson4Prez
Old October 27th, 2016, 02:36 AM   #7
qrillin
Blue Power Ranger
eBay

I don't keep up with the NBA as much as I used to, but always and forever: Go Spurs Go!
qrillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:00 AM   #8
chronoxiong
Digital Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo Ron White View Post
Oh no wonder. Lol. It's all good man. Glad you got it sorted out.

Well that sure was an unexpected blowout the Kings laid out in Phoenix. I think the Kings went into the game as underdogs too. I was impressed with how they played and Dave Joeger's coaching style. Time for the home opener on TNT at the new Golden 1 Center Thursday night.

Lots of other interesting games. Unibrow was a beast out there but couldn't get the win for his team. It was sad in a way especially if you didn't play in DFS. Did not expect high scoring games between the Mavs/Pacers and Celtics/Nets. The Grizzlies were getting slaughtered in the first quarter by the TWolves but recovered and won the game. That was shocking. Joel Embiid has impressed me the more and more I see him. He has moves, is big, and has a nice jumper. Too bad they couldn't pull off the win against the Thunder on ESPN. Would've been a nice story for them. Lastly, the Lakers beat the Rockets in the late game and it was a good game that featured no defense. This could be normal for the Rockets all year. Will see how much the younger Lakers improve this season.
chronoxiong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #9
kc16
Tha Beast

Yea great win for the Lakers last night. Glad to see we held our own against the Rockets. Seems D'Antoni still doesn't preach defense from that high scoring affair.

As noted by Chronoxiong, Anthony Davis put up a monster game last night despite the loss and Embiid looked great in his first official game, definitely liked what I saw from him. DeRozan also put up 40 in a Raptors win and the Celtics and Pacers win with there new look teams. Myles Turner was a beast last night for the Pacers in there win.
Old October 27th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #10
Cancer0081
Team Aqua member

to be honest I found it funny the Warriors lost their opening game. maybe it will take their ego of getting KD down a notch or two.

last night Westbrook flirted with a triple-double in the Thunder's season opener. it's amusing that some people are questioning if he's gonna get as many triple-doubles as he did last season. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I think the category it depends on is the assists. it all depends if his passes lead to shots by the rest of the team.
Cancer0081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 01:26 PM   #11
zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

For some reason Pokémon Platinum pops into my head. NBA season, means my father would have more TV time again haha. I'm peek through NBA from time to time and I wonder how Durant will fare in the Warriors. May the best team win (or may the team who wins their 4th Finals game win, to be more precise hehe)!
zjranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 03:30 AM   #12
Primo Ron White
The Knockout Game

Damn, the Clippers hardened up. To survive that surge from Portland in the third quarter was big time.

Though, Plumlee's meltdown didn't help the Blazers at all.
Old October 28th, 2016, 04:54 AM   #13
chronoxiong
Digital Artist

My bad on the last post. The Kings home opener was not on TNT. I was too lazy to even check. Anyways, I'm glad they were leading the Spurs after the first half. Too bad there was another half to play as the Spurs went on a hot run in the 4th while the Kings couldn't make much buckets to regain the lead. Kawhi Leonard has been a beast! This is his team now as Aldridge is stuck to being a sidekick. Cousins also ate him up in the first half.

As I mentioned about my preseason thoughts, Dwight Howard looked rejuvenated being home in Atlanta. He was beasting out there against the Wizards as he didn't need that many shot attempts to get his points. Also made 3 out of 4 free-throws. And it was weird seeing Wade out there in a Bulls jersey. But he had a vintage Wade game and was on fire from three point range. Not sure that will keep up.
chronoxiong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2016, 07:09 AM   #14
kc16
Tha Beast

Always enjoy the Thursday TNT games. Not only because Inside the NBA afterwords but some good games most times. Enjoyed watching the new look Celtics vs the new look Bulls. The Celtics came back late but the Bulls weren't having it. Clutch late 3 near the end of the game by Wade helped clinch the game.

The Clippers vs Blazers matchup was very chippy which I liked. Definitely felt like a playoff game. Both teams looked good and major props on the Blazers for keeping in there despite being down most of the game. In the end the Clippers kept there composure and won.
Old October 28th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #15
superfanmj94
Power Ranger

Looks like I'm behind on my posts in this new thread.

I'm going to go back to Tuesday real quick. Not surprised to see the Cavs do what they did to the Knicks. I don't really believe in these Knicks but who knows. But hey in myleague in NBA 2K17, somehow the Knicks knocked the Cavs out of the first round of the playoffs.

It was a good win for SA vs GS. I was definitely happy to see the Spurs win.

On Wednesday, Miami got a good win to start off the season. They all played pretty well and I'm hopeful it'll continue.

As for last night, I didn't watch any of the Bulls/Celtics game, but I was hoping the Celtics would win. I saw some clips this morning, and I'm with chronoxiong on seeing Wade in that jersey. Plus seeing him as a Bull actually made me way more sad than I thought it would. I guess it's not that surprising. But, oh well.
superfanmj94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 04:13 AM   #16
Primo Ron White
The Knockout Game

Well, didn't take long for that high to end.

If you had asked me if the Lakers were going to lose to Houston or Utah this week, I'd have said I'd be crazy to pick Houston.
Old October 29th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #17
MoonsKnight
as The Hopping Woman

In unexpected outcomes from last night... the Brook-Lin Nets pretty decisively took down a pretty good Pacers team last night. The game really wasn't even close.

Aside from that, it was actually a night of some pretty close games.

OKC/Phoenix went into OT, and it was really exciting. I really thought the Suns were going to pull out a win, but they just couldn't survive Westbrook's triple-double onslaught - 51p-13r-10a. Westbrook is beasting, and also took 44 shots last night. He's playing super well as expected, but it's clear he's going to need more help from the rest of the team if OKC wants to make it through an 82-game season AND the playoffs.

The Brow also had another great night against the Warriors, but GS' starters had other plans and were determined to get their first win of the season. Davis is also beasting, but like Westbrook, he needs help around him. And we know the Spurs tonight are going to be able to shut him down, being a more complete team than the Warriors. My early prediction is that Alvin Gentry either doesn't last through the season, or he's out at the end of the season.

Cavs/Raptors was tight down to the end, too. I'd almost sense a new Eastern Conference rivalry brewing between these two teams. It was pretty exciting.
Old October 29th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #18
Cancer0081
Team Aqua member

Westbrook starts his triple-double in the home opener. granted he needed the overtime to get there, but nice highlight on a close game. the Suns have gotten better than I remember. the wins might not pile up like they did when KD was in town, but the Thunder still have a way to get them this season.
Cancer0081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2016, 09:12 AM   #19
kc16
Tha Beast

The Brow has looked great thus far but he definitely needs help. He has kept the Pelicans in games but it sucks they couldn't pull out a win. Westbrook has looked as expected, 51 points with a triple double, my God. Though he was very inefficient, it's hard to blame him. The Lakers lost a close one to the Jazz, Russell definitely cooled down compared to the Houston game. Just have to find consistency with this young Laker team.
Old October 29th, 2016, 12:10 PM   #20
MoonsKnight
as The Hopping Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cancer0081 View Post
Westbrook starts his triple-double in the home opener. granted he needed the overtime to get there, but nice highlight on a close game. the Suns have gotten better than I remember. the wins might not pile up like they did when KD was in town, but the Thunder still have a way to get them this season.
I still think it's a combination of other teams getting better and the Thunder actually being worse than last year.

Tags
ben simmons, brandon ingram, joel embiid