RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions

Old March 9th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #61
GokaiGold
Phantom Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiaAmazing View Post
Any suggestions on solid games $9 and under on the PSN store to grab for a Vita? Maybe a decent platformer or turn-based RPG? Going on a trip to California in a week and a half and want something new to play around with on the flights.

(I say $9 or under because I literally only have around $9 in credit right now and don't really care to add more)
Under $9? Can't think of any. There is a sale going on right now, you might be able to find some there. Haven't checked to see what is available yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Naruto View Post
I've been wondering, but how big is everyone's gaming backlog here?

I own 121 PS3 games, but I've only beaten 49 of them.

I'll be lucky if I get to 60 or 70 beaten games by Christmas, especially since I should be working soon.
Never really counted. In terms of PS3 games, it's definitely more than 30. Maybe 10 PS4 games. Which is kind of piling up with some of the discounts and free games they've been throwing out.
GokaiGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #62
Derp Derpingwood the 3rd
Upperclass Twit 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GokaiGold View Post
Under $9? Can't think of any. There is a sale going on right now, you might be able to find some there. Haven't checked to see what is available yet.
Even factoring in PSone or PSP games? I'm not picky on console of origin, and I know there are a number of games from those two older systems for less than $9, but I want to be sure I'm picking something worthwhile.

Loosely on the subject of the Vita, anyone know why Metal Gear Acid and Acid 2 aren't available through the PSN? I'd love to revisit Acid, but not if I have to buy a PSP to do so.
Derp Derpingwood the 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #63
kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

Quote:
Even factoring in PSone or PSP games? I'm not picky on console of origin, and I know there are a number of games from those two older systems for less than $9, but I want to be sure I'm picking something worthwhile.

Loosely on the subject of the Vita, anyone know why Metal Gear Acid and Acid 2 aren't available through the PSN? I'd love to revisit Acid, but not if I have to buy a PSP to do so.
For a buck more you could grab Chrono TRigger, or any of the Final Fantasy PS1 games (which had, in some form, 1,2, and 4-9, and Tactics)

Or get LEgend of Dragoon. It's amazing, and $6.
kainhighwind2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #64
Derp Derpingwood the 3rd
Upperclass Twit 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainhighwind2 View Post
For a buck more you could grab Chrono TRigger, or any of the Final Fantasy PS1 games (which had, in some form, 1,2, and 4-9, and Tactics)

Or get LEgend of Dragoon. It's amazing, and $6.
But the point is not to add any more money. I don't use my credit cards for any online game purchases, so I'd have to purchase more than a dollar worth of credit, and then I'd just end up in another situation of having leftover credit that I have no idea what to do with.
Derp Derpingwood the 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #65
jediranger
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainhighwind2 View Post
For a buck more you could grab Chrono TRigger, or any of the Final Fantasy PS1 games (which had, in some form, 1,2, and 4-9, and Tactics).
I've heard though that Chrono Trigger and at least FFVI were not very good on the PSN, that the load times were actually slower then other versions.
jediranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 02:43 PM   #66
GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediranger View Post
I've heard though that Chrono Trigger and at least FFVI were not very good on the PSN, that the load times were actually slower then other versions.
I'm pretty sure that was just when the games were on disc on PS1. PSN is digital, so unless I'm mistaken, the load times shouldn't be as bad, since the game is fully installed on the hard drive.
GalaxyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #67
jediranger
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyRed View Post
I'm pretty sure that was just when the games were on disc on PS1. PSN is digital, so unless I'm mistaken, the load times shouldn't be as bad, since the game is fully installed on the hard drive.
I've heard the same complaint about the PSN versions though.
jediranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #68
GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediranger View Post
I've heard the same complaint about the PSN versions though.
Maybe they're still long, but not as long as the physical copies.
GalaxyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 04:13 PM   #69
CheckeredRanger
YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Naruto View Post
I've been wondering, but how big is everyone's gaming backlog here?

I own 121 PS3 games, but I've only beaten 49 of them.

I'll be lucky if I get to 60 or 70 beaten games by Christmas, especially since I should be working soon.
Not sure how big my backlog is.Back in my teens,I always wanted to get games beaten ASAP.I remember having some games that I had trouble beating that caused me to pull my hair out in frustration.
One of those games in particular?
Garfield:Caught in the Act for the Game Gear.The game itself was rather easy up until the final boss.I did eventually beat the game,about a year after I had originally bought it
CheckeredRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #70
Dark Megazord
Chou! Denshi! BIOMAN!

I just beat Kirby Triple Deluxe, including getting all Sun Stones. Spent 15 hours on it, good length for a Kirby game (that I recall), and there's more I could do. Collecting all Sun Stones isn't all that worth it though, as you only get a keychain of Queen Sectonia. I'm going back to Zelda: OoT 3D.
Dark Megazord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #71
kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

Quote:
But the point is not to add any more money. I don't use my credit cards for any online game purchases, so I'd have to purchase more than a dollar worth of credit, and then I'd just end up in another situation of having leftover credit that I have no idea what to do with.
Grab Legend of Dragoon. It's $6, and it's a really awesome 4 disc RPG. Translation leads to some Engrish every now and then, but the story never gets muddled. It's one of the PS1's great cult hits.

---

Got myself a MOGA Pocket controller for my Galaxy S4 phone. It's okay. Worth the $12 I paid for it on Amazon, although I wish I'd shelled out the $30 for a Power Pocket, which add's a D-pad (in addition to the standard dual PSP-style analog nubs), 2 more shoulder buttons, and charges your phone as you play. IF I was big on emulating on my phone, it'd be even better, but for Android-specific games, it works well on the games that support it. Notables include the GTA games, The Bard's Tale, and The Conduit. I'm having issues with Samurai Shodown 2, though.

I had thought about getting a Pro, which is the size and shape of a 360 controller, but I figured it rather defeated the purpose of a controller for my phone. Would work for tablets, though.

Just don't try to play with the MOGA Pivot app, get the free MOGA Universal Driver instead, if your phone is rooted. Through the official Pivot app, my controller kept disconnecting after 5 or so minutes. I'd keep the Pivot app to know which games are set to be played with MOGA, though.
Old March 9th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #72
GokaiGold
Phantom Thief

Quote:

Oh wait, Suikoden II. I totally forgot I think it's $9 but that is a really good rpg. It's a PSone game.

Edit: Actually Suikouden II is $10, the first one is $6.
GokaiGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 07:59 PM   #73
kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GokaiGold View Post
Oh wait, Suikoden II. I totally forgot I think it's $9 but that is a really good rpg. It's a PSone game.

Edit: Actually Suikouden II is $10, the first one is $6.
Both are good, and great games. I'm sticking with Legend of Dragoon, though. Aren't some of the Mega Man games up on the PSN, too?
Old March 9th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #74
John Pannozzi
Power Ranger

Square-Enix has a customer survey :

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8L8WHJR
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #75
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
Square-Enix has a customer survey :

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8L8WHJR
Question: Should we milk the Final Fantasy brand harder?

a.) Yes
b.) Fuck yes
johnboy3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 09:09 PM   #76
Lightsaberboy
COME ON!

i finally played toonstruck for the first time over the weekend, after finding it on gog for only like $9. i had been looking for the game for a while and never got the chance to play it as a kid. boy it was so fun, i wish they made more adventure games like they did in the 90s XD
Lightsaberboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #77
Primo Ron White
The Knockout Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy3434 View Post
Question: Should we milk the Final Fantasy brand harder?

a.) Yes
b.) Fuck yes
Thank you for my gut laugh of the day.

Though, I suppose the great question to ask in this thread: Haven't I seen fans largely unimpressed with the last few franchise entries?
Primo Ron White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #78
kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

13 was pretty dry. 13-2 and Lightning Returns are both great games. 14:ARR is easily one of the BEST MMOs on the market right now, with the subscription base and reviews to back that up. Theatrhythm has been getting some love, too. Did well enough for a sequel at least. There's also that new Dissidia game coming to arcades.
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #79
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo Haim Saban View Post
Though, I suppose the great question to ask in this thread: Haven't I seen fans largely unimpressed with the last few franchise entries?
Like kain said, there's certainly some good recent titles in the series, but the one consistent complaint that I've seen is "predictability". The stories somehow manage to be both overly-complex and paint-by-numbers. The art design seems to have become a homogenous blend despite coming from more than one artist and depicting what are supposed to be completely disparate universes. The characterization is largely one-note, sometimes gratingly so, and the common character archetypes and tropes are abused to the point that you can practically write a character's subplot just from looking at him.

Are those criticisms valid? Maybe, maybe not. But that's what people are saying.
johnboy3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #80
tasti man LH
My Hope, Your Despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo Haim Saban View Post
There are fans, to be sure but for the most part their reception was lackluster.

Personally speaking: FFXIII was the first game were, in the first few hours, I was angry at a game. It was boring, the story and game design sucked, and I felt insulted by the game as a Final Fantasy fan.

XIII-2 and Lightning Returns were essentially hacked together to "fix" XIII. And while they addressed gameplay issues (can't speak for it myself since I have played them) but story and character wise, well, there isn't exactly a standing majority that wanted to return to the world of Pulse and Cocoon.

That said, the more I hear about XV the more optimistic I personally get. Particularly that it seems to return to the Final Fantasy I personally enjoy and love. And not whatever the hell XIII was.

Type-0 HD I'm considering buying despite not owning either an Xbox One or PS4 because, well, it's delivering trailers like this.
tasti man LH is offline   Reply With Quote