RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions

Old March 4th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #21
tasti man LH
My Hope, Your Despair

So anyways, onto Stuff that I've been Playing:

Hotline Miami

...yeah full disclosure: this game isn't for everyone. At all. For several reasons.

1. The Violence and Blood.

This game is violent and bloody as hell. It doesn't take much to completely paint the level in the blood of your enemies. Now this isn't as bad as your usual ultraviolent AAA game with hyper-realistic graphics. No, this is all pixel art and viewed from a top down perspective. Still doesn't stop this game from being as gory as it is, considering it's possible for you to cut people in half.

2. The difficulty.

This game is also insanely hard. As in: you get hit once you're dead. While on one hand this makes you very vulnerable to the enemies, at the same time your enemies are very vulnerable; they can also die in one hit. Combine this with some AI quirks (enemies bum rushing you even though they have their back turned to you versus you shooting a dude in the face with a shotgun and the guy in the next room over doesn't even respond) and you're left with a hard game. It's not impossible or unfair by enemies, but there is the VERY real possibility of you clearing a level and you're on the last guy...only to be ambushed by a patrolling attack dog you didn't know exist and you have to start over. It's that kind of game.

So if you're the kind of guy where the reason you play Nintendo games is because you despise blood and violence (which honestly there's nothing to be ashamed of if that's the case: I'm personally friends with people who are like that) or don't like insanely difficult games, full stop Hotline Miami isn't for you.

That said, I personally really like this game.

The game does have stealth and tactical gameplay to it. Since you're so vulnerable that means that you can't just charge into a room and kill everyone you see. While guns are powerful, they're also loud. Which means if you fire them off, almost every enemy is going to rush your position and more likely then not, off you. Which means melee weapons are the way to go if you want to get silent, clean kills. Other tools at your disposal include throwing your weapons or using doors to slam into people, all to stun them and give you windows of opportunity to finish them off. All of this taken together and you have a very thrilling, tactical game at hand. Besides, I'm never one to pass by a challenge.

I kind of dig how the game both revels and subverts in its violence. It is not shy about showing all the ways you can maim and murder enemies and making the violence stand out with the varied weapons you have. At the same time, the game makes it pretty obvious that the protagonist is not right in the head, at ALL. If you consider how a lot of games' pacing and structure of progression is based around "go here and kill X enemies to progress" it does point out how "Y'know that you got to be a fucked up person if you've been willingly killing so many people like this, right?" Driving this point forward is at the end of a mission, when you leave a level, you have to walk through the previous areas of the levels, and as a result see all the bodies and blood you left behind in your mayhem. Since in this game, bodies don't disappear after you kill them.

I apparently picked a great time to pick up Hotline Miami, since the sequel is on its way in less then a week by now.
tasti man LH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #22
jediranger
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowNeko003 View Post
Does anyone know if there's a difference between Wii U/3DS for Mario v DK Tipping Stsrs?
Don't think there is. But whichever system you get it on, you get a code for the game on the other system as well.
jediranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #23
kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo Haim Saban View Post
Oh, I so want a Skullgirls sequel. That project was inspired.
It's still going. Beowulf should be out eventually.
kainhighwind2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #24
Myzou
The One You Love to Hate

Do you guys think a company will ever make a truly unhackable system?

The 3DS was the first one the online hacking community did label unhackable.

But all it took was Pokemon releasing on it to naturally draw the hardcore Pokemon hackers into it, and it only took a couple weeks to do what the other hackers spent over two years trying. Nowadays, thanks to the Pokemon hackers, there's quite a few cheat devices and other forms of hacking for the 3DS, even though Nintendo is ever trying to stop it with firmware updates.
Myzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #25
tasti man LH
My Hope, Your Despair

Nope.

Hackers are a crafty lot. Any and every computer system has flaws that can be exploited with some creative solutions. If anything the words "unhackable system" encourages hackers to try even harder.
Old March 4th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #26
Toddler Naruto
Playful Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainhighwind2 View Post
I'm waiting for MMOs to reach the level of Sword Art Online, myself. Pop on your headset, kick back on the couch (or lay in bed), and go kill some orcs! According to the show's timeline, though, we have a good 7-8 years, IIRC.
You and me both have the same dream of the VR gaming future hehe . I'd love to play in a game like SAO, minus the whole "being trapped and can actually die" aspects xD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasti man LH View Post
That kind of tech I'm not expecting until a decade from now, optimistically speaking. Especially since we're still trying to wrap our heads around haptics feedback without needing a bulky suit to wear, or a treadmill to simulate "walking".

Plus, we all know that Accel World's tech is the way of the future. Hail to AR baby!
I've heard that Accel World and SAO take place in the same universe, any truth to that?

Last edited by Toddler Naruto; March 5th, 2015 at 08:51 PM.
Toddler Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #27
tasti man LH
My Hope, Your Despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Naruto View Post
I've heard that Accel World and SAO take place in the same universe, any truth to that?
They do. In fact, the NETGEAR makes an appearance in a later episode of the Accel World anime.

However, Accel World takes place about 20 years after SAO. So naturally, the tech in that universe has advanced far and beyond the tech depicted in SAO, to the point that VR capability has become a default feature of AW's equivalent of a smart phone. And, well, no need to lie down and stay still for a certain period of time.
Old March 4th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #28
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

From the video game award show by those fully in the industry.

The Game Developers Choice Award winners:

Game of the Year - Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (Monolith Productions/Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
Best Debut - Stoic Studio (The Banner Saga)
Innovation Award - Monument Valley (ustwo)
Best Technology - Destiny (Bungie/Activision)
Best Audio - Alien: Isolation (Creative Assembly/Sega)
Best Visual Art - Monument Valley (ustwo)
Best Narrative - Kentucky Route Zero: Act III (Cardboard Computer)
Best Design - Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Blizzard)
Best Handheld/Mobile Game - Monument Valley (ustwo)
Audience Award (Voted as the best game by those in the audience) -Elite: Dangerous (Frontier Developments)
Pioneer Award - David Braben
Ambassador Award - Brenda Romero
Lifetime Achievement Award -Hironobu Sakaguchi

--------------------------------------

For those interested in the upcoming Steam Controller , a fun fact about it. As it is more of a Keyboard and Mouse in the form of a game pad rather than just another game pad, it shall work on anything accepts a keyboard and mouse.

Thus if you wish to use it on your SEGA Dreamcast, you can go right ahead. Likewise the PS3 and PS4 (note only certain titles allowed keyboard and mouse support in game).

Last edited by McAster; March 4th, 2015 at 11:50 PM.
McAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:16 AM   #29
Primo Ron Pink
The Knockout Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAster View Post
Best Technology - Destiny
Very well deserved.
Primo Ron Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #30
SanyuMiyazaki
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainhighwind2 View Post
It's still going. Beowulf should be out eventually.
I know Beowulf is available in Endless Beta, and Christina Vee said that they have his voice actor when I asked her at Kami-Con, so it shouldn't be too much longer to get him. I've played him and he's pretty fun, but difficult since you can put down/throw his chair and change his high punch to a grab, which changes his gameplay slightly.
SanyuMiyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 03:38 AM   #31
Internutt
Scottish Sentai

ROCK BAND 4 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 AND XBONE. FULLY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH ALL PREVIOUSLY BOUGHT DLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
Do you guys think a company will ever make a truly unhackable system?

The 3DS was the first one the online hacking community did label unhackable.
Has the Vita been hacked yet? The ease of PSP hacking led to the PSP being a huge success hardware wise, at the cost of horrible software sales later on in the console's life since everyone was just downloading PSP game roms and running SNES/Genesis emulators. If the Vita was easily hackable I imagine it would be just as popular as android devices currently are with the hacking community since the Vita would offer actual buttons to use.

Last edited by Internutt; March 5th, 2015 at 06:35 AM.
Internutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #32
Gone Rampant
El. Psy. Congroo

In recent news, it's been confirmed that the split screen function from Borderlands 2 will be brought into the Handsome Collection.

And the award for Best Fuckup On Stage at the GDC goes to Tim Schaffer for not even making a mathematically correct joke about the #NotYourShield hashtag campaign (How many Gamergaters does it take to make a single piece of armor? Fifty- one to model, one to do materials and fourty to tweet that it's Not Your Shield) he ran eight short on his own fucking joke, I don't even care that's another white guy telling the minorities to shut up.

I know talking Gamergate's a "Ban me please!" button on many places across the internet, but I wanna just point out the math error, and in some news, Tim was trending on Twitter, and the majority of Tweets were quite pissed off at him.
Gone Rampant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #33
Random
The Lizard Queen

Sounds like nothing more than a slip of the tongue and if he wants to criticise gamergate, he has every right to. The gaming community is already seen as ignorant, juvenile and closed minded, the last thing we need is those people being given any encouragement.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #34
Gone Rampant
El. Psy. Congroo

So, you're OK with the women and minorities of NotYourShield being the butt of a joke? Because that's the entire point that hashtag was created.
Old March 5th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #35
Primo Ron Pink
The Knockout Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internutt View Post
ROCK BAND 4 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 AND XBONE. FULLY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH ALL PREVIOUSLY BOUGHT DLC
That's still popular? I thought music games were so binged that they'd largely played out by now.
Primo Ron Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #36
Gone Rampant
El. Psy. Congroo

Quote:
That's still popular? I thought music games were so binged that they'd largely played out by now.
Considering the last Rock Band came out five years ago? I think it's time for a revival.
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #37
Internutt
Scottish Sentai

Quote:
That was entirely Guitar Hero's fault. Activision went on a gigantic release binge by releasing around 8 games over the span of 12 months:

GH mobile
GH 5
GH 6
GH AeroSmith
GH Metallica
GH DS 2
GH DS 3
GH Band Hero

From the top of my head. There were only 7 Rock Band releases in total, 1-3 and Beatles, LEGO, Greenday and ACDC. With the last 2 mostly just being DLC for the main game.

The series was always a fun party game to crack open once in a while. Activision ruined a good thing and the fad died under the weight of so many releases over a short period of time.
Internutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #38
ZeoRangerVIIWhite
The Ranger That Never Was

My wish has come true!!!! Rock Band 4 is coming! And I don't have to re-buy anything!

Potentially... They're working out the bugs on legacy instruments... Here's hoping they get it worked out! I'd LOOOOVE to not have to buy new plastic instruments lol
ZeoRangerVIIWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:22 PM   #39
AkaMarvelous
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Naruto View Post

Yes! The story of AW takes place in the future of SAO and the main character of SAO is responsible for the technology present in AW.
AkaMarvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:22 PM   #40
PinkKimberly
Forever Light-ish Red

Lucky you! I need new plastic instruments XD
PinkKimberly is offline   Reply With Quote