RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions

Old March 4th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #1
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

The Video Game Thread: PC on your TV, Consoles on exhibition, VR on your head

This is the place to discuss video games. No matter the platform, no matter the era, no matter the genre, it's open to discussions as long as everyone remembers to be respectful, kind, and helpful. All of which we generally are should you be seeking suggestions on games to try out, or are having difficulties with hardware. Remember, they are games, so have fun.

So where do we stand in the realm of video games since the last thread? Well truth be told, not much has changed since I wrote this back in 2013 in the grand scheme of things. Oh the games that could be suggested to try out or show of the hardware to be sure, but we've been in a relatively stable time. Mobile game has stabilised and how games like Monument Valley can succeed, Facebook is just a general casual gaming place that remains popular even if not a phenomenon it once was, new suggestions for games that showcase hardware, but that would just be me going on a long discourse . Gaming now in 2015 hasn't gone leaps and bounds from what it was in 2013, things are simply more stable now and we've improved rather than evolved since then.

Still, a few things to think about.

-If you want to try your hand at building 3D worlds, setting up animations, perhaps even making your own video game, you can try your hand at Unreal Engine 4 for absolutely free. https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4. One only has to pay a licensing fee if they decide to sell a movie or game using Unreal Engine 4 and it makes a certain amount of money. Which even then, is just an amazing deal.
It, along with Source 2 (Valve's engine), is the growing trend of getting engines into the hand of as many people as possible. Which we shall see the benefit of as more developers can spend more money or time on other aspects of the game.
-PC gaming using your television is very easy and simply by streaming from your PC to your tele through NVidia Shield or the upcoming Steam Link, or simply putting a home computer and using it as a monitor via USB or HDMI connection.
One can have the comfortability of playing on the couch alongside all the boons PC gaming offers.
- Sharing of videos, pictures, and discussions about console games has increased over 200% since 2013 thanks to services like MiiVerse, Twitch, Facebook and Twitter connection, and other tactics now common place amongst console gaming. People are okay showing off to the world. You kinky exhibitionists you.
- Virtual Reality has come back in strong force and looks to escape the flaws of the past. Where before limited technology simply could not keep up with the human eye or mental processing we humans have, and as such could never appear to be "real" as far as we were concerned, today 120FPS, lack of screen tearing, and 1:1 movement of footage as one moves their head takes away much of what caused people to lose immersion and it's only getting better.
It's not a grand changer for those of us playing for fun, but as with many technologies of the past like medical imaging of internal organs, data connection speeds, voice recognition, pattern motion, and more. VR technology use for future operations will expand far quicker because of video games. However for us, it can provide some interesting experiences that could be worth it, from horror games for improve fright, to a level of detail simply lost in flat presentations of standard displays (360 degree range vs direct view). It's really just the matter of comfortable use, size, and price now, and I don't see it going much that far in gaming.

It's not much compared to last thread I know, but that's really how it is. No longer is the current generation so new, the wild frontiers are now just your big cities to the West, and it will be some time before the grand changes of VR, 21:9 Resolution, PC streaming, new gaming engines like Source 2, and other such improvements start to shape the world and what the next big unique IPs shall be. GDC has opened a lot to what developers could do, but it's all potential at the moment. E3 is still some time away and many will be playing it safe now that they know what the consoles can do and where the PC standards look to fall.

As such, I won't use this post to take up too much space. Rather, here are some links you can find to be rather helpful.

-Seeking out how to get all those trophies and achievements on Playstations and Xboxes? Click on those names for help.
-Whenever you wonder about how long it takes on average to beat a game, try http://howlongtobeat.com to give you a clue on it. Never exact, but a good idea for most every game. Includes speed run times.
- A benefit of playing games on PC, there are a lot of great deals out there from a variety of stores and distribution services. So to get the best prices, use http://isthereanydeal.com/#/
- Sometimes PC gaming can be difficulty however, with flaws and faults or age issues. To your rescue is PC Gaming Wiki. It just doesn't tell you info about past and present PC games, often if offers fixes and tips on how to get a game to work or be improved.
- Of course you may also be one who mainly sticks to home consoles or prefer retail. In that case, https://www.cheapassgamer.com/index.php?showforum=10 is a site to bookmark. One doesn't need to post to make good use of it. Mainly U.S. and Canada.
Are you one who imports games from Japan? Play-Asia and AmiAmi are at your service.
For a site that seeks to catalogue every game on every system and service, it's MobyGames you are looking for.
- What about the games we never got? The ones that were cancelled or transformed into something else Unseen64 is the archive for beta and cancelled games.
If you have a love for the Arcades of old. Try the International Arcade Museum which seeks to be an educational centre for a big part of video game history. If you just want to see the flyers used for them, http://flyers.arcade-museum.com
Not to be forgot, the retro and collecting scene is as big as ever from the first generation of home consoles to last gen. RacketBoy seeks to help you out on prices, gems, value, and setting up televisions so you can still play.
If you decide to take a look into the realm of independently developed games, http://indiegames.com/index.html is a valuable site to help you sort through the good. With links, articles, and discussions on many of them from those who worked on them.
Are you in the United States? Want to help out charities while getting to play games or watch others play games? Extra-Life is the way to go.
Want to help out, or simply to just understand, the struggle many disabled gamers go through when they want to play games. Ablegamers is a charity dedicated to just that. Alongside a guide illustrating how games could be made to help out those who need it, and Unstoppable Game which reviews games based on fun and accessibility to those with disabilities or other issues such as limited mobility or colour blindness.
If you wish to take advantage of Unreal Engine 4 being free to use, make sure to bookmark This documentation site, which offers starting guides, programming aid, and more. Not the starter tutorial, but good to have once you get a hang of things.

Last, but not least. The previous Video Game Thread... threads here on Rangerboard. Some posts where we were silly, some where we predicted the future, some where we were just flat out wrong, and plenty more.
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=53223
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=103317
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=121267
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=126085
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=141417
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=151743
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=160282
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=165954
McAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #2
Quantum Wolf
Confusion & Delay!

Yeah, way I see it, gaming tech has pretty much reached a massive high at this point, what could possibly be next? Then again I'm sure that's what some people must've thought during ye olde days of console gaming. We can guess that some people thought that the idea of games on CDs or 3D gaming was crazy talk.

Honestly though I'm not really up to date of gaming now. Because of my lifestyle, I can't really afford to buy a new console and take time out to sit down. And even then except for the Wii U, I can't be bothered to follow developments for the PS4 and X1.

99% of all gaming I do now is on my 3DS.
Quantum Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #3
Primo Ron Pink
The Knockout Game

Well no wonder the new thread took so long, that mural is good stuff, Ken. And somehow I made the cut!

So let's start with what truly matters. STREET FIGHTER V! Is the roster going to use more of the SFIII stable? I'd love to see Sean and Oro back. Just sucks that PS4's the only console release...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Wolf View Post
Yeah, way I see it, gaming tech has pretty much reached a massive high at this point, what could possibly be next?
Virtual Boy.

But done right this time.
Primo Ron Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:00 AM   #4
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

While I do love Third Strike and consider it the best in the franchise, a part of me would greatly enjoy the hilarity that at the big reveal of who is in the game, it turns out it was really Street Fighter II V : The Game all along.
While it's true PS4 will have the only console release, it's only limited to the base version. It's Capcom, expect Super Street Fighter V: Championship Arcade Edition Deluxe Φ to be released on every console.

Speaking of fighting games. Interplay did announce they plan to make a remastered ClayFighter for modern platforms. I was not aware anyone really wanted this back, but it seems to have made some people happy. Even if it is Interplay, and I'm not sure they can actually release a game.

Quote:

Virtual Boy.

But done right this time.
Sony's Project Morpheus has that potential. No headaches, high processing power, great graphics, smooth frame rate when a demo/game is done right.
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #5
kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

I'm waiting for MMOs to reach the level of Sword Art Online, myself. Pop on your headset, kick back on the couch (or lay in bed), and go kill some orcs! According to the show's timeline, though, we have a good 7-8 years, IIRC.

Or imagine a fighting game where you lose to *actual* martial artists. Okay, maybe not.
kainhighwind2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #6
tasti man LH
My Hope, Your Despair

And with the announcement of Valve's partnership with HTC on the Vive, things have gotten more interesting in the small yet full of potential, market on VR gaming. Nvm with the new announcements on the front of Steam Machines.

No HL3 yet, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainhighwind2 View Post
I'm waiting for MMOs to reach the level of Sword Art Online, myself. Pop on your headset, kick back on the couch (or lay in bed), and go kill some orcs! According to the show's timeline, though, we have a good 7-8 years, IIRC.
That kind of tech I'm not expecting until a decade from now, optimistically speaking. Especially since we're still trying to wrap our heads around haptics feedback without needing a bulky suit to wear, or a treadmill to simulate "walking".

Plus, we all know that Accel World's tech is the way of the future. Hail to AR baby!
tasti man LH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:23 AM   #7
Primo Ron Pink
The Knockout Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAster View Post
Speaking of fighting games. Interplay did announce they plan to make a remastered ClayFighter for modern platforms. I was not aware anyone really wanted this back, but it seems to have made some people happy. Even if it is Interplay, and I'm not sure they can actually release a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kainhighwind2 View Post
Or imagine a fighting game where you lose to *actual* martial artists. Okay, maybe not.
Speaking of which, I've been thinking about this for the past few days. What's the biggest fighting game right now? I'm trying to stay on established franchises over character ports like Injustice or Super Smash. Obviously it was Street Fighter at one time, then it was Mortal Kombat, then it was Tekken, I think DOA had everyone's attention at some point... Or did fighters just fade out of wider gamer consciousness once FPS became the go-to?
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:42 AM   #8
Quantum Wolf
Confusion & Delay!

I think it's a mix of that last bit, plus the fact that the question of "biggest fighting game" ultimately depends on the area of the world you're in.

Street Fighter I can imagine made an impact everywhere thanks to it being successful on both consoles and in arcades. Mortal Kombat I think was only big in the West, and its arcade scene faded by the time of Mortal Kombat 4. Tekken is the dominating one in the east, with the arcade scene still big in Japan plus its console releases.
Quantum Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:52 AM   #9
tasti man LH
My Hope, Your Despair

I don't think there's any one definitive fighting game that defines the market as much as we'd think. From my perspective, fighting games have stabilized, so to speak.

Despite what your personal feelings are on the Street Fighter franchise and its more recent direction, there's no denying that SFIV revitalized the fighting game genre in a big way by proving that the classic 2D sidescrolling style can still be popular and profitable. And that it opened the way for other "classic" fighting game franchises to return (Mortal Kombat, MvC3) and paving the way for some new franchises (Injustice, Skull Girls, Nidhogg). Especially since before SSIV, it can be argued that fighting games released throughout the 2000's were suffering bouts of identity crisis to stay current. SFIV sort of brought things back in a big way. Because let's be fair: SF is the industry standard when it comes to fighting games.

Now obviously it's no longer the fighting game heyday of the 90's anymore, and I don't think we'll ever reach that peak in popularity ever again (the decline of the arcades made sure of that). But in terms of still being relevant? Well, last I checked, EVO was still a thing.

(I'd also argue that FPS's are starting to cool down a bit with EA and Activision realizing that now was the time to move on from modern warefare shooters. If anything, sci-fi shooters with more verticality options seem to be the next big thing)
tasti man LH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 07:41 AM   #10
DukeNukem 2417
Power Ranger

So, Five Nights at Freddy's 3 was released this past Monday....anyone here have a chance to play it yet? I haven't played the first two (though, just reading about them and checking out pics has given me ONE NIGHTMARE of being jumped by Freddy Fazbear), but I do find the series interesting.
DukeNukem 2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #11
Primo Ron Pink
The Knockout Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasti man LH View Post
Skull Girls
Oh, I so want a Skullgirls sequel. That project was inspired.
Old March 4th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #12
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNukem 2417 View Post
So, Five Nights at Freddy's 3 was released this past Monday....anyone here have a chance to play it yet? I haven't played the first two (though, just reading about them and checking out pics has given me ONE NIGHTMARE of being jumped by Freddy Fazbear), but I do find the series interesting.
The skit VanossGaming did in Garry's Mod about FNaF has killed all the terror in it for me. I can't hear the big jumpscare noises without imagining the animatronics jumping in fright as well.
johnboy3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #13
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

In a bit of exciting news to many I'm sure, the rights of Battletoads has finally been settled all around. Fully a Microsoft property now, and to celebrate, the three toad brothers shall be appearing in upcoming Shovel Knight DLC on Xbox One. https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/s...08273681182721

As to the rights of the original games, all but Battletoads & Double Dragon (Double Dragon is owned by Million) can be re-released if they so choose. Likewise a new game could very well be made.
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #14
OujaStrike
King Snake
eBay

Started playing the PS4 really enjoying it, installed The Order: 1886 and it took like 3 minutes to installed i wish Xbox One games would take 3 minutes to install a game.
OujaStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #15
CheckeredRanger
YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!

Quote:
In a bit of exciting news to many I'm sure, the rights of Battletoads has finally been settled all around. Fully a Microsoft property now, and to celebrate, the three toad brothers shall be appearing in upcoming Shovel Knight DLC on Xbox One. https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/s...08273681182721

As to the rights of the original games, all but Battletoads & Double Dragon (Double Dragon is owned by Million) can be re-released if they so choose. Likewise a new game could very well be made.
If they do re-release Battletoads,they better keep this in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRPXRHS4XNQ
CheckeredRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #16
Primo Ron Pink
The Knockout Game

Quote:
Likewise a new game could very well be made.
I'll go ahead and not hold my breath.
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #17
Myzou
The One You Love to Hate

The only thing I ever know about Battletoads is the hilarity of watching someone do the sewer level ever since I saw Felicia and Ryon Day do it on Co-Optitude. Lol.
Myzou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #18
Primo Ron Pink
The Knockout Game

Rash, Zitz and Pimple did extremely well in the gaming world of the early '90s. They were exclusively the first challenge on every episode of the game show Video Arcade.

Pretty good for a blatant ripoff of the Ninja Turtles.
Old March 4th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #19
CheckeredRanger
YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!

I will just leave these two things here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAMlb7geKV8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8d1zkUusqY
CheckeredRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #20
ShadowNeko003
~NYAH~
eBay

Does anyone know if there's a difference between Wii U/3DS for Mario v DK Tipping Stsrs?
ShadowNeko003 is offline   Reply With Quote