Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > FanFiction

Closed Thread

Old January 3rd, 2013, 04:54 PM   #1
ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER

Edited work requires Credit

This is now officially a rule:
Quote:
You must credit the artwork that you modeled your work after. Failure to comply will result with your images being removed, and possible infraction.
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Crazy Firebird
Death Comes Swiftly!

For clarification; Working from bases (such as Acatl's or Taiko554's) would fall under this, correct?
Would the typical post-images crediting lists most of the older pixel artists use (eg: "Bases from: <blah>. Palettes by: <blah>. Inspired by: <blah>. <Blah>'s <item> used with permissions.") still be enough or would they need to be adjusted to fit the new rule?
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Underground Blue
Power Ranger

I believe this should be fixed for writers as well because it's possible that a writer takes another writer's ideas for their story.

Just a thought.
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #4
ϟDecade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground Blue View Post
I believe this should be fixed for writers as well because it's possible that a writer takes another writer's ideas for their story.

Just a thought.
Disagreed. Sometimes people really do come up with the same things. Coke & Pepsi can co-exist, why can't you guys?

Theft of ideas are too difficult to prove, so we're not policing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Firebird View Post
For clarification; Working from bases (such as Acatl's or Taiko554's) would fall under this, correct?
Would the typical post-images crediting lists most of the older pixel artists use (eg: "Bases from: <blah>. Palettes by: <blah>. Inspired by: <blah>. <Blah>'s <item> used with permissions.") still be enough or would they need to be adjusted to fit the new rule?
Yes, bases would fall under this. I don't understand your second question.
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Underground Blue
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post
Disagreed. Sometimes people really do come up with the same things. Coke & Pepsi can co-exist, why can't you guys?

Theft of ideas are too difficult to prove, so we're not policing it.
Your comment is obvious, but I think an example is necessary so you could understand what I'm saying:

If a writer creates the name of a made up city in their story, but another writer takes that city name from another writer, is that fair?
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #6
ϟDecade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground Blue View Post
If a writer creates the name of a made up city in their story, but another writer takes that city name from another writer, is that fair?
No, that's still not enough. That's like saying because you came up with a unique name for something, no one else can use it. Like Underground Blue, are you going to ask everyone else out there named "Underground Blue" to stop using your username? That's ridiculous. Names have been used over and over.

Direct plagiarism is one thing (meaning if the entire story was almost copied word for word), but the reuse of a name can't be proven. They still could have came up with it themselves.

It's like this scenario with the two Primal Rages:
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=150409
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=152239

Whether it's the name of a city, character, or story title, it just isn't enough. As long as the story was written by the other user on his or her own, it's going to be valid.
Old January 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Underground Blue
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post
No, that's still not enough. That's like saying because you came up with a unique name for something, no one else can use it. Like Underground Blue, are you going to ask everyone else out there named "Underground Blue" to stop using your username? That's ridiculous. Names have been used over and over.
I agree except for the use of usernames because that's usernames (which doesn't make sense to do in fan-fiction) and not the use of names from other stories without representation (my original question).

Quote:
Direct plagiarism is one thing (meaning if the entire story was almost copied word for word), but the reuse of a name can't be proven. They still could have came up with it themselves.

It's like this scenario with the two Primal Rages:
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=150409
http://www.rangerboard.com/showthread.php?t=152239

Whether it's the name of a city, character, or story title, it just isn't enough. As long as the story was written by the other user on his or her own, it's going to be valid.
I did not know of that instance. So, thank you for the clarity.
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #8
sky_queen3
Blue Ranger Power

So for photoshops with screencaps/promo images do I just link to the original image or what do I do?
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #9
ϟDecade

Those aren't affected. This only affects custom created artwork.
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #10
RussJericho23
Dragonzord!
eBay

As it should be. There's a person named Tyrone Swanberg (who I don't believe is a member here), who goes around stealing images he takes from deviantART, pastes them together, sticks himself on them and claims the design as his own.

I caught him with doing that to my designs, posting them on the official Power Rangers Facebook page, whilst he tried to lap up all the credit for them.

I reported all 10 of "his" images to Facebook for copyright and they were removed. I sent him a very public message saying I was watching him very carefully and the thieving little weasel blocked me... But that's okay, because I've got other accounts I can watch him from.

I'm glad to see the rule is in place here too.
Closed Thread