RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 4 19.05%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 3 14.29%
Kamen Rider Fourze 5 23.81%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 6 28.57%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 3 14.29%
Other (Say what in the thread) 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM   #1841
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by timegold View Post
I vote for keeping it in one thread.
Yeah but had to put it out there.

Quote:
Needs more existential crises and questioning the worth of artificial intelligence.
Sadly we're years away from Frax...

Quote:
*twitch*

So... that means Tommy's going to be knocked up?
Now you put it this way...I think I like Sun Vulcan better. I'll make Jason Hiba and Tommy...um...that air force guy that nearly joins them before the end-game. (which means that Jason David Frank is now Astronema's VA)

Quote:
And boy, does that get cited all too often, even for teams that have nothing to do with Zordon.

Which brings up the ever persistent question of why. Obviously it wasn't to hide from the villains, because Rita knew who the Rangers were. And it wasn't some tax evasion scheme, because government officials knew the name and provided a space shuttle. Maybe the wall of separation was to avoid meddling in their lives, which couldn't have been super successful given how often their personal lives got caught in the crossfire.
Yeah it's the classic superhero trope but I guess when you start from Sentai #16 and kids of the 90s are more used to the Superman/Spider-Man dynamic, it probably is the only way to go at it at this point. (despite, as seen later, they seem to talk to Zordon in perfect view of everyone) Obviously this isn't Zyuranger and they need to keep some mysticism of "secret heroes saving the world from a space witch", but just something that had to be brought up.

Quote:
There we go. I think we now have an answer for where the revenue comes from.
Well that solves that mystery. Seriously with how often the Juice Bar gets attacked, Ernie's premiums must go through the roof at some point...probably about the time he gives it to Lieutenant Stone I suppose.

Quote:
Never gonna give... oh, wait.

Hey, it's not super heavy-handed with its messages; always teaching a valuable lesson but not to the point of being overbearing. Kids watch for the violence action and incidentally learn community engagement and responsibility. At least, I hope that's what the parents got out of it.
Yeah...let's save that for Danny and Max. (since Sotaro and Kai aren't enough to drive us nuts with their Rick Astley schtick) They'll all be "Together Forever".

It isn't Wild Force mind you and obviously it isn't going to be as "heavy" as that season but I guess considering how often the teens do this sort of thing, you do have to call it into question when it starts.

Quote:
It's the latest trend. Hiding all this secret knowledge for the sake of convenience.

"But wait, why didn't you tell us about this super powerful thing two years ago?"
At least we now know Gosei isn't alone in hiding crap from Rangers; like master like student.

-----

I almost forgot to do this but sort of something neat I wanted to do: my own titles for these episodes! Yeah its ridiculous but I think I can define the episodes as good as Saban.

Day of the Dumpster: aka: Let's Get this Franchise Started!
High Five: aka: ...And I'll Throw in this Giant at No Extra Cost!
Teamwork: aka: The One where Everyone's Psychic!

A Pressing Engagement: aka: Never Let Ernie Count

Wait, Ernie is Jason's spotter? So Ernie's into that sort of thing? Must explain the juice bar.

Jason, you can't count.

And...one? Two. 73.

Angel Grove High? Wait, the juice bar is associated with the school?

Um, he just bench-pressed over a thousand (give or take a few), Rita. I'd consider that maybe a bit out of your league with Jason's stamina.

Speaking of Stamina, no cut away or a day later; he's suddenly back over a thousand? Yeah, Rita lost.

Hey, Zack didn't even hit her! At least they both got mutual ABC.

I still say the problem for you Rita is Jason has stamina; his problem is his lack of a memory for numbers.

I like how Squatt sort of remains as part of the planning despite being the goofy one.

Neat, King Sphinx. He's a classic; has a toy and everything. (can't say that about...oh, Somnibot?)

Jason's just a good bro to his bro.

Quitter? You just did over 2000 a while back, Jase; I don't say that's a quitter. Just get a better counter!

I wouldn't call Jason a pinhead.

Wait Bulk is a bench-presser? Guess he's strong but just has no technique.

And no cooridnation...and piggy underwear.

Sad thing is it's a legit cell ringtone these days so I doubt Ernie would care that much about the communicator.

Hey, it's an Apple Watch. Ahead of their time; I knew Billy was a genius.

Random nuclear tower poster? And I thought they were environmentally friendly in Angel Grove?

Wait, now King Sphinx is unknown? That wasn't the case with the Minotaur or Bones.

Ah yes, the theater set....classic Sentai setting.

Least it wasn't that bizarre "turn people into trees" like Dora Sphinx. (and there's his quiz clock and chair!)

They could just teleport back you know. The Youth Center isn't that far away.

Contact is impossible? At least try it first, Alpha, before you panic.

And thus we change locations to...another classic, the quarry!

Hey Goldar, I thought you were part of this plan too? Oh wait, here's where they grow, that was the intent.

Um Jason, you fought a giant with your Tyrannosaur; yeah stock footage but why not try a solo run?

What exactly is that pennat in Billy's lab? I need to know!

There, Trini provied he's cut off. You should have done that earlier with Alpha (that or Trini's just smarter)

Nice, first Morphing Grid mention.

Indeed it would...if it weren't for...something I should have mentioned earlier. (Zordon, again with the forgot to tell you bit!?)

Least the Power Crystals were easier to get here than the mess Geki went through. (a reminder: CONGRATULATIONS, YOU FAILED!!!! EXCEPT...you haven't yet...BUT YOU WILL!)

OK, this is a better usage of stock footage than Zyuranger. That's what I call writing.

And Jason knows what they are immediately?

OK that was awesome. Hey, meet my friends! (and here they come)

You know Jason you should have done that from the beginning with Tyrannosaurus.

OK this bares a question: why the heck did Zordon let them become the Megazord in the first episode considering the need of the crystals in both versions? Was that a test run?

Now the eye beams are crystal powers? So...they had the crystals all along but didn't realize it yet?

OK, I like that, Daizyujin is the "Battle Mode" and the tank is still part of the whole thing. (compared to the weird "evolution" thing Zyu did)

Ut oh.

Hey look, I saw a green panel! Does this mean there could be another Power Ranger?

He just has good wind resistance.

Love the accidental hand thing with the Power Sword.

Not as epic as the Daizyujin finisher music but hey, Wasserman effect.

And...Goldar chickens out again.

The Sphinx? Why not just call him King Sphinx? Does anyone remember him?

AND THUS TRINI IS THE COUNTER. SEE, SHE'S RELIABLE AS SHE IS ADORABLE.

Jason's eyes looked almost bugged out by the last number.

Almost sounds a bit like the Karate Kid ending music.

Hey, Jason's a Niners Fan?

Cake? Considering all the weights? So whose mom?

Seriously, Bulk and a huge cake? This isn't going to end well...and it doesn't.

And Zack gets the girls...as you'd expect.

Thoughts: Amazingly ignoring the nostalgia goggles, this one really holds up. While Rita's plan is petty and not thought out (really, he's bench pressed over a thousand times twice in a short period!), I do like the usage of how it is used for a Jason plan; while King Sphinx is an epic and memorable MotW, removing the goofiness of Dora Sphinx and just making him menacing and a perfect partner for Goldar. (oh and the crystal plan makes way more sense than the mess of Zyuranger's interpretation) Really this should have been the main Megazord's intro if it weren't for the first episode but what can you do.

Different Drum: aka: The Outcast from Goblin City

Wonder if Linda Rondstat would show up based on the title?

Aerobicise? Not gymnastics for Kim's class?

And why is Billy in this class? Is Billy not telling us something or is this to work up to Jason's?

And...down goes Billy...and most of the laundry in the Juice Bar.

Sure Billy wants to meet girls, Kim?

Wait, music is the theme? That music at Kim's class was very phoned in, Rita.

Meanwhile, Billy still has a neglige on him.

Hey, not being able to dance never stopped Leo Sayer...or Phil Collins.

Maybe this other girl she needs to have better coordination like Billy...OK, skip Billy.

Heh, it's like with how old fashion she looks, they wanted to single her out.

Ah, deaf girl. And Kim knows sign?

Yeah, let's just keep bullying Billy. As if he hasn't beeen through enough so far.

Risky? I say it's more suit...er, sweet.

It eats cars and smells like a fish? Now that's a MotW I'd love to see.

Yeah, musical monsters aren't reliable; can attest to that.

Really, Finnster needs to unionize againt Rita...though I don't know if Goldar, Squatt or Baboo would be in.

So...the mean girl is a lip reader I suppose.

Ballerinas? Um, that's not ballet, Bulk.

Hey Zack, neat hat there.

Hey, that's how I dance too, Bulk.

Michael Jackson bit...Zack's got this.

And there goes the pants again. Or Bulk's back.

That's unsanitary. You don't know what Ernie put there!

Yeah, saw that coming. Too easy.

Seriously they abandon Bulk? That's cold. Least he has Skull...and good counter food.

Don't know if a gnome can be...um....gnarly.

Wait, capture kids? At the juice bar? They're teenagers...or actors who play teenagers.

Pepsi product placement!

And...that's why she's deaf. Though I do like Gnarly Gnome's creepy laugh. And the Labyrinth influence of the gnome/goblin.

Oh boy, a net! Just get some scissors and you've got this!

What is it, girl? Little Tommy...er, Timmy's in the well?

All hail the power of a notepad!

DANCE MAGIC DANCE! (DANCE MAGIC DANCE)

I wonder how good Baboo's cooking is?

Girl on putty action!

The secret ingredient is...rubber balls?

Squatt eating a bug...so random, but so classic.

Just wake them at 13 o'clock and we'll be alright.

So Rita knows they're all slackers? What a taskmistress.

No, just threaten turn them into princes of eternal stench, then they'll do whatever you want.

Wait, why did Gnarly Gnome turn invisible again?

Seriously, where was Kim when she needed to tell them that?

DINO BUCKLER!!! (well they're all there so it worked)

And these sound...off....was this recorded earlier...and why is Kim gray?

It had to be; the Power Weapons names are...bizarre. (Cosmic Cannon? Double Bow? Double Daggers? MIGHTY MACE!? THAT'S NOT A MACE!!! At least Power Sword remains as is)

Damn, Gnarly Gnome did nothing when it came down to it...then again, neither did the goblins in Goblin City.

Did like the "rebuilding effect" of his growth; that made sense with how the MotW are made.

Kim really loves her stereo in Pterodactyl, doesn't she.

They like the tank form way more than the Zyuranger did.

Now the stock footage has Triceratops miscolored.

Hey, now he's doing the Fiery song! (let's see him remove his head like Bones!)

You know if you had illusion abilities like that, use them in your small form first!

And now it's the "Mega Sword"...this really was done prior to things being standardized.

Gnarly Gnome's last words: "If you need us...for any reason..."

And where the heck did the net go?

Hugs make everything better...though I swear they made up earlier prior to Gnarly Gnome.

I wouldn't blame Squatt or Baboo; they just helped, they weren't the monster.

SODA!? THAT FORBIDDEN DRINK IN THE JUICE BAR!?!?

From her glass, I say Trini's a blue creme fan.

Jason: never sign again.

And thus Billy Love Interest #....1?

Oh great, now Billy can dance? So...where was the montage sequence and why weren't we allowed to see it?

Thoughts: It's interesting our first real "character of the day" episode was more or less about working with the deaf; yeah it's a weird choice but I think it wasn't a bad idea with the weird footage from the episode. But hey, I still say if Gnarly Gnome wanted to be in Labyrinth, we should let him...even if Jareth probably wouldn't stand him either. (well it's better than working for Rita I suppose) Also really remembering Squatt and Baboo; yeah it's mostly Sentai footage but I actually like their goofiness as much as Bulk and Skull.

Food Fight: aka: Can Someone Fix Pudgy Pig's Mouth!?

Silly costumes; this isn't going to end well...same goes for the sudden creme pies Ernie's brought in.

Seriously, let Erine get laid. He deserves it for what he puts up with here.

And thus he asks Bulk and Skull with the creme pies...yep, here it comes...

Seriously, getting Bulk and Skull laid would help their lives drastically.

Hey, nice pigtails, Kim.

20 bucks? Seriously, you're not just going to slice it up!? That's what you do with cake!

Jason in that hat...sure this isn't "Powerful Rangers" and not "Power Rangers"?

Really they need to change that stock footage of the telescope to Southern California; every time it zooms on Tokyo, it just shows laziness. (and last episode showed they can do such a thing)

So...Rita's on that "air diet"? That's why she's repulsed by food?

Just "Asian"? No real definition of what it is?

So Zack is "American" and Jason is "USA"...wait what? So is Zack Canadian and Carribbean? (or is this subtle racism?)

Healthy? Jason and Kim are giving out cheeseburgers, soda and cake. I doubt that's very healthy, Mr. Kaplan.

Hey neat, the Bulk army's up to 4 now...and is as racially inclusive as the Power Rangers!

Hey, Skull may just like eating cream pies. Let him have it.

Chow mein isn't Asian; it's an American invention!

And thus it begins. Still not as epic as "The Great Race"'s pie fight.

KETCHUP AND MUSTARD FOR ALL!

OK there's the dash...seriously, African American food is just as American as burgers and fries!

Not your usual? Um, considering the last couple times, Finnster's been rather accomodating.

At least they're on the same wavelength for once.

All the food on Earth...you do realize people can eat weird things if desperate, Rita.

I'm with Finnster: I see a fork and knife and I don't think it's going to end well.

And Pudgy Pig starts with garbage...at least he's not picky.

Save the food fair? You probably made a ton of money already.

Meanwhile in Bulk's bunker...

Hoo boy, sausage fu. Jason's serious.

And Jason won by...stunning him with sausage nunchaku's silliness? Yeah, that works.

Now that was a nice set-up...then again Kim's got reflexes.

Now here we go with Pudgy Pig's mad feasting.

Seriously, the food wasn't going to waste as ammo, Billy; maybe you can remake the burgers somehow.

Well...he got beaned. (terrible pun but it works)

20 bucks for that!? OVERCHARGING!

And now Bulk forgoes the whole "tin plate" thing and just squirts whipped cream everywhere.

Bulk, you have long distance ammo; you're just being set up by Zack!

Seriously if Mr. Kaplan doesn't just suspend the entire school, he's a bad principal.

Now that's how you take charge! And yeah, if they do all the charity work, they should clean it too.

Saved by the Zordon.

So whose gonna clean up the juice bar? And whose going to wear Jason's silly hat? And whose going to tell them about Uncle Joe!?

The images you see are Japanese stock footage. Don't mind them because they have nothing to do with you.

48 hours? So can Pudgy Pig just swim everywhere? Or will Rita just teleport him country by country?

OK, Kim's valley girl speak here works.

Um Alpha, not now; we have a pig to stop.

Fighting like a pig means eating...so not the best words, Trini.

Well that's going to hurt. Daggers in the stomach are just going to rip him apart.

Seriously, he starts eating weapons and Finnster now likes Pudgy Pig?

Full course. Burp a Power Cannon laser attack!

...or nostril gusts, those work too.

Well this has gotten surreal fast.

Seriously, what's left at the food festival that hasn't been turned to ammo or smears they SHOULD BE CLEANING UP!?!?

I never knew popcorn was Italian.

What happened to his mouth? He's just nosing it all inside!

OK, Bulk standing up to Pudgy Pig was awesome. Too bad the fabric mouth did him in.

Yes, Ernie, take the Hawaiian girls! Embrace your destiny!

Hot, hot hot...seriously, just put "Mexican" there and don't try to hide the fact.

Seriously, you all caused the mess first. Pudgy Pig just sort of finished what you didn't.

Trini remains the smart one. Why isn't she the nerd instead of Billy?

Hmm....horseradish. Maybe they should have used that for a Passover sedar plate.

That Finnster, really holding out for more...he really is the savviest of the forces.

MGR? Wonder what that stands for.

Yay, Power Coin display! Love when the show did that.

I forgot how huge that sushi prop is. (and that I'd blame Zyu for)

Hey that may be a bah mi; Trini must have known how to make that.

Now that's indigestion!

Pudgy Pig's face really is so squashed he can't see what's coming.

Great, now it's worthless. Rita really has no perspective.

Squatt and Baboo didn't do anything; how is it their fault?

And meanwhile...yeah, the place is still a mess.

Rastabear!

Um...Alpha, are your circuits that slow? Now you think of a Pudgy Pig plan when he's dead?

See, they made all the money before the mess. Told you it wasn't going to affect a thing.

Again with the 20 bucks!? Is food in Angel Grove that overpriced? Or is it all taxes?

Hoo boy, it's the speecee spaishee jimmy juice!

Maybe you need a glass for that water first, Mr. Kaplain.

Didn't know the principal was into sinus clearers.

Thoughts: Really the whole episode was just a big excuse to throw a huge food fight; it was silly enough but it worked. The footage to series worked to the advantage of PR I say; they cut out that annoying Gnome (he really only had two appearances, both here and when Burai shows up) and it gave Trini a victory due to the Boi storyline even if it really wasn't about anyone. And heck, I did like Finnster playing Rita along when Pudgy Pig almost worked better than expected despite his feelings initially it was a dud.

-----

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Book 2:
Ep. 16: Appa's Lost Days & Ep. 17: Lake Laobai

No one ever seems to trusts ol' Scruffy

So considering that Appa is still around somewhere and where exactly he's been that will lead to the reunion with Aang and the other, the question now is: so what was that bison doing? 16 basically is that in a nutshell, basically being the last few episodes from the perspective of the Air Bison (well, Wind Buffalo according to that latest Fire Nation circus jerk) from the moment he is captured around the library to the moment he made that footprint that Momo found in Ba Sing Se. It really isn't that good for the most part since it's mostly just Appa not ending up where you'd expect and sort of just getting on a rather ridiculous and improbable adventure on his own, going from the traders to some beetle men to a Fire Nation circus to just wandering around for a bit to finding his way to the Eastern Air Temple, more or less going there since it seems Aang won't be able to. There are a lot of cliche moments like the Fire Nation boy who befriends it at the circus and the whole end part with the guru, where he can't trust it but then has to leading to an important message. (and of course how it just happens to end up with the Dai Li of all people, with Long Feng himself taking it hostage and taking it elsewhere). The best part of the episodes is actually another catch-up with Suki and the Kyoshi Warriors, who find Appa at one point and heal it's wounds and regain it's trust after a lot of the mess it goes through. This also leads to a battle of girls vs. girls when Azula and her entourage meet up with the Kyoshi Warriors and we get a neat battle between them; it sort of isn't fair since Azula is a master Firebender and the Kyoshi Warriors are just warriors closer to handling the likes of Mai and Tai Lee, but I did like the confrontation and I liked that Suki was able to hold her own even if she obviously doesn't seem a match for the likes of basically the most powerful Firebender not named Ozai...or maybe Iroh. (and as an aside: I know she isn't an Earthbender but Suki being in team Aang would have been way better than Toph, who I find vastly overrated despite her abilities)

17 more or less returns to Aang's group on the trail of Appa in Ba Sing Se, but also picks up the other key elements held on hold with the last few episodes but building in the background. Namely, the team meet up with Jet finally, who we know was brainwashed by Long Feng but to a point that basically he's able to lie about where Appa is but still be seen even by Toph as telling the truth. Its this situation that I think really shows how Sokka's instinct (despite not being a Bender) determines that he's lying as well as the meeting-up with the other two members of his entourage; we know Jet's been brainwashed but it sort of takes logic on behalf of the Avatar group to figure it out, especially with how even someone like Toph can't tell on her own with reading personal readings via the ground. Through a bit of Waterbending "wiping", the group find out about a secret Dai Li base beneath Lake Laobai, which is where their worst elements are being done (such as...creating an army of Ju Di's), as well as, of course, where Long Feng took Appa. At the same time, Zuko is trying to figure himself out when Iroh ends up nearly getting a new tea shop in the richer part of Ba Sing Se, with him knowing this isn't for him...but not sure what he wants to do, outside maybe finding Appa himself to answer the question. It all sort of collides in Lake Laobai, with the Avatar group trying to find Appa but deal with Jet's brainwashing and the Dai Li, while Zuko infiltrates Laobai as the Blue Spirit in hopes of getting Appa before Aang. Ultimately, Aang is able to break Long Feng's hold on Jet, but it isn't enough prevent the Dai Li leader from smashing him with some rocks, more or less leaving him in a critical state and potentially leaving him for dead. We don't know what Jet's group are going to do with him or if Jet will be back, but that is probably for the future to reveal. Meanwhile, Zuko gets to Appa, but Iroh confronts him and tells him the honest truth: does he even know what he's doing when he has it; bringing up the whole incident at the North Pole and the truth that when Zuko gets what he wants, he really has no plans or ideas of what he needs to do! Zuko really is clueless and just seems to be driven by the spur of the moment than having any real thoughtful plans; whether as Fire Nation warrior or even as the Blue Spirit. Ultimately this leads to him freeing Appa and the reunion with Aang's group, as well as him abandoning the Blue Spirit element...but what will Zuko do now if he's gained this sort of conscious to figure out what to do?

Last edited by Ataruman; Yesterday at 02:02 PM. Reason: Element Boy! 2: 16-17
Ataruman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #1842
timegold
Bioluminescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataruman View Post
Wait, Ernie is Jason's spotter? So Ernie's into that sort of thing? Must explain the juice bar.
Suddenly I'm imagining Ernie is secretly dealing steroids. Well, at least that explains the Powerful Rangers in another universe.

Quote:
Neat, King Sphinx. He's a classic; has a toy and everything. (can't say that about...oh, Somnibot?)
And on that day, shots were fired.

Quote:
Sad thing is it's a legit cell ringtone these days so I doubt Ernie would care that much about the communicator.
One of these days, maybe in 1997, their communicators are going to sound identical to common electronic tones, and it's going to be the perfect disguise.

Quote:
Random nuclear tower poster? And I thought they were environmentally friendly in Angel Grove?
Actually, nuclear is one of the most environmentally friendly power sources. Coal power plants emit more radioactive waste.

The more you know.

Quote:
Um Jason, you fought a giant with your Tyrannosaur; yeah stock footage but why not try a solo run?
It's as if Jason realizes the value of teamwork and that there's a central message for him to promote.

Quote:
Least the Power Crystals were easier to get here than the mess Geki went through. (a reminder: CONGRATULATIONS, YOU FAILED!!!! EXCEPT...you haven't yet...BUT YOU WILL!)
It's interesting when the writers write around the source, instead of having constant trials from meddling gods. On the other hand, when it's constant handouts from meddling interdimensional beings...

Quote:
Hey, Jason's a Niners Fan?
Not too many options when it comes to California football teams.

Quote:
Aerobicise? Not gymnastics for Kim's class?
Gotta get with those 90's trends.

Quote:
Ballerinas? Um, that's not ballet, Bulk.
Swamp Lake, at its finest.

Quote:
DANCE MAGIC DANCE! (DANCE MAGIC DANCE)
Maaji Jiru Majiro, Maaji Maji Majika!

Quote:
And these sound...off....was this recorded earlier...and why is Kim gray?
Ah, the cheap editing. Classic moments of things the creators hope get overlooked.

Quote:
It had to be; the Power Weapons names are...bizarre. (Cosmic Cannon? Double Bow? Double Daggers? MIGHTY MACE!? THAT'S NOT A MACE!!! At least Power Sword remains as is)
Nowadays (by which I mean a few years back), everything's a shark, so what gives.

Quote:
Kim really loves her stereo in Pterodactyl, doesn't she.
Gotta counter those music monsters. Too bad she didn't get a chance to pull a Hoshikawa.

Quote:
SODA!? THAT FORBIDDEN DRINK IN THE JUICE BAR!?!?
OMG totally a reference to Hiroshi Soda!

Quote:
Silly costumes; this isn't going to end well...same goes for the sudden creme pies Ernie's brought in.
This could easily have been the Recipe for Disaster. As in, the title.

Quote:
And thus he asks Bulk and Skull with the creme pies...yep, here it comes...

Seriously, getting Bulk and Skull laid would help their lives drastically.
There are so many puns I'm choosing not to make here.

Quote:
All the food on Earth...you do realize people can eat weird things if desperate, Rita.
For instance, pigs. Which isn't even all that weird.

Quote:
Seriously if Mr. Kaplan doesn't just suspend the entire school, he's a bad principal.
But if he does that, he loses state funding. That nonexistent revenue has to come from somewhere.

Quote:
OK, Bulk standing up to Pudgy Pig was awesome. Too bad the fabric mouth did him in.
Bulk: always had some degree of a heroic side in him, but had to repress it to keep up his image. It's interesting how these things retroactively become part of his character development.

Quote:
Squatt and Baboo didn't do anything; how is it their fault?
Maybe that's why it's their fault.
timegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:15 AM   #1843
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by timegold View Post
Suddenly I'm imagining Ernie is secretly dealing steroids. Well, at least that explains the Powerful Rangers in another universe.
Sure he informed Zordon that he'd do it so the suits could be more bulky?

Quote:
And on that day, shots were fired.
With what I've been through, I had to say it.

Quote:
It's as if Jason realizes the value of teamwork and that there's a central message for him to promote.
Yeah but at least show Jason failing before he realizes he needs the others; as I said, considering they were making original footage even from the start, it would have helped that lesson along. (then again they weren't making their own Zord footage yet so I guess this is the only way that it could have gone)

Quote:
Gotta counter those music monsters. Too bad she didn't get a chance to pull a Hoshikawa.
Do you want me to have nightmares of that horrible "Do, Re, Mi" ripoff again? Remi, you scare me as much as your twin brother.

Quote:
Bulk: always had some degree of a heroic side in him, but had to repress it to keep up his image. It's interesting how these things retroactively become part of his character development.
May be retroactive but I did like seeing that Bulk was willing enough to see Pudgy Pig and go "what are you looking at, you freak". Sure it means nothing now but at least it does show he has some sense to stand up to the weirdness Angel Grove is going to go through for the next 6 seasons.

-----

As a forewarning like last week: yeah, this comes before the Fourze movie but I just wanted to do that over the long holiday weekend.

Kamen Rider Fourze: Ep. 37: Star-Group-Selec-Tion & Ep. 48: Win-Ner-Deci-Sion

I wonder if anyone would have noticed if they just called the football robot "Powerdizer Jr"?

One of the biggest turn-offs about having a Rider group who basically is stationed on the moon is that the ability to actually go to space on your own becomes more jaded: you've made it off the planet, so why do you need to do it the hard way? Luckily, a good chunk of the cast still wants to go into space the right way (probably in case their magical little journey has ended) and thus applaude when most of them (well not JK) are chosen for a special program that Amanogawa does to select those that possibly have "the right stuff" to take part in an actual space training program. It's a nice PR move due to the school's interests, but it's also of course a bit of Gamou's own master plan in that by pushing a bunch of students to their limits, the remaining Horoscopes could appear and they can just get right to them immediately. To further that along, we get another "transfer to happens to already be a Horoscope" joining with the process: a half-Japanese girl by the name of Erina who is also the Aquarius Zodiarts. The good news is that Erina also wanted to take part in the space selection besides her Horoscopes duty, but due to her own personal pride: her father trained to be an astronaut but was never chosen once, thus she wants to finally vindicate her family and allow for someone to finally make it into the great beyond. Erina appears to be much better than she seems; even her Horoscope ability is an unstoppable healing ability that she uses to help out others including Kengo at one point early on. Unfortunately being a Horoscope she still has her own mean streak in hurting those that get in her way. And then there's another problem: due to her elite nature and status, she isn't a fan of those who don't have what it takes sticking around and being part of the whole process and gets suspicious when someone who doesn't seem like they're made for this just keeps breaking through into the process...and unfortunately, most of that wrath in this two-parter is thrown directly at Yuuki.

Obviously, a rivalry between Erina and Yuuki seems almost natural: the perfect elite girl who wants to secure her family legacy...vs. the nutty space otaku who just feels like she knows nothing and keeps getting by due to circumstance and her weird cheerful nature. Erina wants to prove herself with her leadership and smarts; while Yuuki seems better at thinking on her feet and just figuring things out even if things are turned against them: such is the case with the first two tests and particularly when Yuuki is forced to abandon a part to help the team "get past a crisis" as secretly instructed by the head of the space program. Ultimately the reason Yuuki get s to the end of the road and to the final program is revealed to be that determination that she has; when she is pushed to it, she can do great things like anyone else and in many ways her determination is probably greater than anyone...which considering how much she has wanted to go into space from the start, makes sense for someone like her. It really takes a bit for Erina to finally get through and realize this...but at the same time, she's also sort of bound in the Horoscopes due to her promise and the believes that "Gamou is a good, noble man" and that she's doing a good cause by working with him. The situation with her and Gentarou is sort of a cheesy "youth story" sort of ordeal, particularly with the end with the final battle in the rain (though I'm surprised it was the Claw Switch that stopped her; I would have actually though Freeze would have worked); the stuff like that was way over the top but I think that was sort of the point. And despite Erina's failures and her morality, the whole thing did work out to Gamou's advantage...since the class vice-president, one of the other members of the final group (alongside Erina, Kengo and Yuuki....though you could suspect Kengo or Yuuki but their KRC connections means it obviously was the odd man out) happens to be another Horoscope: Taurus...which means they'll have to deal with him soon enough.
Old Today, 09:53 AM   #1844
timegold
Bioluminescence

These episodes feel kind of confused about the message for achieving dreams, as it's only now do they realize that using a shortcut to get to the moon is selling themselves short. But better late than never, because they'll eventually have to move on with their lives and out of the high school. It may be hard for them to realize just how important these types of obstacles are, especially Erina suspecting sabotage.
timegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:15 PM   #1845
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Speaking of sabotage: I think the second test was one of the weakest element of the episode. Really, if they wanted to teach adaptation, then don't just give instructions to abandon a part to members within the testing group. Just give them a bunch of parts without telling them and make them make a robot that works with said parts; then you wouldn't have had that stupid idea to build up the Erina/Yuuki arc in the two-parter.

-----

Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart: Ep. 33: Summon your Courage! Nagisa's Troublesome Birthday!!

I wonder if anyone has made Nagisa and Uragaros as their OTP?

I don't get why this series keeps trying to push Fujimura into the forefront, especially considering he's in high school now and they want to make it appear like that we've moved on from it when they keep trying to push this stupid love element that never works in a franchise like this. But then again with this episode being about Nagisa's birthday and after what happened last season (then again a lot of that had to do with hunting for chestnuts with some other guy), Nagisa unfortunately thinks that her birthday means that Fujimura will be able to give her the time of day. It also doesn't help that Honoka is also friends with Fujimura like before and thus is able to arrange said meetup between the two of them. So...yeah, here we are again, Nagisa's still awkward, Fuji-P is still acting like Fuji-P...and we're just stuck watching the trainwreck that is Cure Black's emotional life. Oh...and Uragaros shows up to break things, which in this episode I consider a lifesaver. Oh and speaking of the Guardians: somehow without us knowing, the Guardians have noticed something has changed within Baldez and that he can somehow hear the emergence of the Dark King, which he thinks soon something important will happen...that and really this is the first we've seen Baldez since he's returned to the mansion, so how the heck do they make it like they know he's changed if this is the first we've seen? What is with this season not showing us important things like this...while we get the continued dull stupidity of Nagisa's non-existent love life? (though she does get two cakes out of this birthday so she did at least make out like a bandit on that front)