RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Merchandise

Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #1041
a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMPRangerFan86 View Post
not liking that paint job to the belts can really tell a novice painted them the reason why i haven't tried to repaint them myself for fear of having very similar results.
Yeah it's not the best but I'm satisfied. And TBH once you start painting them it's not as scary as it seems.
a squad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #1042
MMPRangerFan86
'90s kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a squad View Post
Yeah it's not the best but I'm satisfied. And TBH once you start painting them it's not as scary as it seems.
i'm one of those nitpicky weirdos if something isn't near perfect on a figure it bugs me sorry about being a jerk.
MMPRangerFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #1043
a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMPRangerFan86 View Post
i'm one of those nitpicky weirdos if something isn't near perfect on a figure it bugs me sorry about being a jerk.
Oh not at all man trust me I'm very hard to offend. So think nothing more of it.
Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM   #1044
AcceLOWorst
Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycor View Post
Whenever new toys come out I’m always watching Bruno, Hassan, DosmRider etc’s reviews. Normally its weeks or months until I can get my hands on the same thing as I'm in the UK.

Something weird’s happened this time and I think I’m the first to get White and Yellow, so wanted to pay it forward and share a video of my own. Let me know what you think!

*vid snip*
Love the little headshake of exasperation after recapping the possibilities while we have no Metallic Green and White coming, haha!

Great review, with the only downside being the sheer number of issues these figures seem to be having... maybe you're just unfortunate to get a very bad bunch, but I'm pretty confident now in not trying to get any of these. Though I'm sure possible Turbo figures would change my mind... and even then, as you say, having individual weapons really helps make each one unique and give them more character, so I don't know if I'd go for it even then... Space and Zeo haven't had enough power yet.
AcceLOWorst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #1045
Garrek45
Power Ranger

Did you hand paint the belts?
Painting with a brush takes a great deal of practice and experimentation to get a smooth finish.

My suggestion would be to use a white spray paint and then a gloss or semigloss clear coat to your preference.
Spray paint is easier to get a smooth finish and easier to get full coverage in thin layers.

If you can, get a spray paint meant for models as they often have a finer spray than paint meant for larger projects.
Get some blue painters tape, make a tight clean seal on both sides of the belt, if you leave an air pocket paint will seep in and you will have white streaks on your figure.
Use a toothpick or similar pointy object to get the tape into the very edges.
Use a plastic bag or news paper to cover the rest of the figure, attach it with painters tape, again make sure the seal is good or paint will find a way in.

Spray from a good distance away in light coats, don't worry about getting it in one pass, let it dry as per the instructions for multiple coats, repeat a few times until you have complete coverage and then give it one last coat of white and top it of with a coat or two of clear coat.

If you're lucky you should have something that looks close to the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcceLOWorst View Post
Love the little headshake of exasperation after recapping the possibilities while we have no Metallic Green and White coming, haha!

Great review, with the only downside being the sheer number of issues these figures seem to be having... maybe you're just unfortunate to get a very bad bunch, but I'm pretty confident now in not trying to get any of these. Though I'm sure possible Turbo figures would change my mind... and even then, as you say, having individual weapons really helps make each one unique and give them more character, so I don't know if I'd go for it even then... Space and Zeo haven't had enough power yet.
Given that both his figures had issues, I'm going to have to say they are likely going to be common in this wave.
Garrek45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM   #1046
AcceLOWorst
Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrek45 View Post
Given that both his figures had issues, I'm going to have to say they are likely going to be common in this wave.
Not even this wave alone - Red's broken wrist, Blue's floppy hand, Pink's obstructive skirt, and the slight head-tilt on all of the male figures. Lots of QC issues or, in the case of the skirt, cumbersome design choices.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM   #1047
a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrek45 View Post
Did you hand paint the belts?
Painting with a brush takes a great deal of practice and experimentation to get a smooth finish.

My suggestion would be to use a white spray paint and then a gloss or semigloss clear coat to your preference.
Spray paint is easier to get a smooth finish and easier to get full coverage in thin layers.

If you can, get a spray paint meant for models as they often have a finer spray than paint meant for larger projects.
Get some blue painters tape, make a tight clean seal on both sides of the belt, if you leave an air pocket paint will seep in and you will have white streaks on your figure.
Use a toothpick or similar pointy object to get the tape into the very edges.
Use a plastic bag or news paper to cover the rest of the figure, attach it with painters tape, again make sure the seal is good or paint will find a way in.

Spray from a good distance away in light coats, don't worry about getting it in one pass, let it dry as per the instructions for multiple coats, repeat a few times until you have complete coverage and then give it one last coat of white and top it of with a coat or two of clear coat.

If you're lucky you should have something that looks close to the factory.

Paint pen actually.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #1048
Garrek45
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcceLOWorst View Post
Not even this wave alone - Red's broken wrist, Blue's floppy hand, Pink's obstructive skirt, and the slight head-tilt on all of the male figures. Lots of QC issues or, in the case of the skirt, cumbersome design choices.
Reds wrist could have been his fault as it doesn't look like the peg was meant to be removed like on the Green.
Pink's skirt is...well completely down to Bandai's poor decision, there are plenty of figures with rubber skirts or jackets that have plenty of flex.

Apparently, from a few videos giving warnings, Pink was being put out with her boot and glove diamonds unpainted.
Seriously, if I put out a product this dodgy I would have been fired instantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a squad View Post
Paint pen actually.
:/ That might be worse.
I've never had a good experience with a paint pen outside of Bandai's Gundam Marker.
Garrek45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #1049
HAVortexDude
a.k.a. DarkWish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycor View Post
Whenever new toys come out I’m always watching Bruno, Hassan, DosmRider etc’s reviews. Normally its weeks or months until I can get my hands on the same thing as I'm in the UK.

Something weird’s happened this time and I think I’m the first to get White and Yellow, so wanted to pay it forward and share a video of my own. Let me know what you think!

Great video! Glad you were able to get those figures so quickly. And thanks for watching my reviews

Looking forward to eventually finishing off Mighty Morphin and moving on to other teams. But so far, I'm happiest with the Movie Legacy team and I'm glad to have a full set of those.
HAVortexDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #1050
GreenRanger121490
Power Ranger

Man, I really want those Power Coin sets...
GreenRanger121490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:41 AM   #1051
Ranger4612
Power Ranger

I know I just spent the last few pages arguing about the viability of this line, but I found something this weekend that really disappointed me, and felt the need to share it, as it's changed my tune a little bit. I took a stab at painting the belts, which didn't turn out as clean as I'd like, but it will suffice for me. When taping off the belt area, I raised blue and black's arms to perpendicular to the body, and when I moved them back down, I noticed that due to the shoulder guard design they had pressed against the body and actually dented the plastic. I didn't apply excessive force, I just ratcheted them up to where they would naturally stop moving, and I tested with my fingernail afterwards to see if maybe I was just seeing things, and even a little pressure from my fingernail caused a dent. Maybe I just got a defective set, but if not, using a cheaper plastic and design where the figure damages itself upon normal use, that's unexceptable. I can find workarounds for missing paint or weapons, but an inferior quality build is not easily fixed. I hippie this was a one off, but this new wave will tell for sure I guess.
Ranger4612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:03 AM   #1052
Phoenix-Ikki
Power Ranger
eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger4612 View Post
I know I just spent the last few pages arguing about the viability of this line, but I found something this weekend that really disappointed me, and felt the need to share it, as it's changed my tune a little bit. I took a stab at painting the belts, which didn't turn out as clean as I'd like, but it will suffice for me. When taping off the belt area, I raised blue and black's arms to perpendicular to the body, and when I moved them back down, I noticed that due to the shoulder guard design they had pressed against the body and actually dented the plastic. I didn't apply excessive force, I just ratcheted them up to where they would naturally stop moving, and I tested with my fingernail afterwards to see if maybe I was just seeing things, and even a little pressure from my fingernail caused a dent. Maybe I just got a defective set, but if not, using a cheaper plastic and design where the figure damages itself upon normal use, that's unexceptable. I can find workarounds for missing paint or weapons, but an inferior quality build is not easily fixed. I hippie this was a one off, but this new wave will tell for sure I guess.
I took the risk and tested out the shoulders on my figures after reading your post and my Black and Blue Rangers are just fine.

Looks like you just got two faulty ones
Weird that it was both and not just one
Phoenix-Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:04 AM   #1053
fryguy81
Auric The Commentator

the belt issue doesn't bug me. And I have posed my blue and black rangers in various ways and no dents.
fryguy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:14 AM   #1054
thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

Astro Megazord is AWESOME!!

thunderzordpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:29 AM   #1055
AcceLOWorst
Dazed

Had a little chuckle over Trini's pose there!

Seeing the Space Rangers together... I think my "suits are too similar" outweighs the nostalgia here. Maybe also to do with Blue being a bit dark and Pink perhaps being a little too reddish - and maybe it would help to see them posed with individual weapons, if only that were possible - but yeah, I don't mind not having these right now. Maybe other photos would change my mind again, haha!

And yeah, Astro Megazord looks pretty neat! The overly-long calves actually make sense with its design, compared with the likes of MMPR and Zeo.

Collection's looking good!
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #1056
GalaxyGlider
Power Ranger

Wow I love how the In Space team looks. I cant wait to complete the set. Well partial as Zhane will essentially complete the team. A Legacy Astro Megazord is on my list of must haves!

If Bandai ever released a weapons pack for MMPR and In Space I'd buy it. Individual weapons and if they don't combine then also include a Power Blaster and Quadroblaster.
GalaxyGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:47 AM   #1057
Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Build a figures should have been Head Villains!
Rita, Zedd, Ivan Ooze, Master Vile or Rito
Darkonda, Dark Spectre, Astronema, Ecliptor
Mesogog
Mondo or Machina
Zurgane or Choobo :p Lothor
Tsukasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:47 AM   #1058
⚡Taichi
Agumon... Shinka!!!
32 eBay

God I cannot wait to finish my core Space team, they look fantastic!
Taichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06 PM   #1059
thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

Forgot to mention, the fists come out of the Astro megazord for some reason, like as a functionality thing.
I wonder if this will be to swap open megazord hands.... perhaps thats what Zhane will come with?

Last edited by thunderzordpower; Today at 12:43 PM.
thunderzordpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:37 PM   #1060
zeddhead182
Giant Floating Head

Can't wait to complete MMPR and PRiS teams. I have been on the lookout but so far no wave3 stuff at any of my local stores. Although, one good thing is that most of the female figures that were pegwarming shelves are starting to go (or so it seems) in my area.

Like many others, I'm hoping after the Zeo & DT waves hit we get one of Green, Crimson & Navy Ninja Storm, in space silver and white Dino thunder. Seems probable since the Trent figure prototype was shown. And I think that wave would sell really well.

I do really hope Bandai works out the kinks with this line and we do get a lot of the teams we haven't gotten good full sets of yet or in a long time. I feel like they will use the 25th anniversary of MMPR to milk the crap out of anything they can, especially movie stuff if possible. So we will be sure to get more MMPR team releases and maybe a proper release of MMPR legacy figures. I'm just hoping to complete ninja storm and in space so we can move on to getting other teams.

Personally i would love decent Turbo figures and also would really enjoy getting a set of time force rangers. IF (a big if) the line does really well and gets into a rhythm, perhaps we can start getting some legacy villains (please)...

I was able to get two of the six movie legacy figures today, Yellow ranger and Alpha 5. My local TRU didn't have any of the other rangers, which disappointed me since they had them 20% off.
zeddhead182 is offline   Reply With Quote