RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions

Old January 29th, 2017, 01:11 PM   #2841
Blue22
Blue Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraculous Bikkun View Post
On that note, no one ever said we were getting something at the Superb Owl.

Couldn't resist
Blue22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #2842
Miraculous Bikkun
おす!

Oh, that was fully intentional. XD
Miraculous Bikkun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #2843
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

So, the long-range forecast from BoxOffice.com doesn't look great. They're estimating a $38M opening weekend and a $110M domestic total. They'll be updating it every Friday, but that's where they stand now.

Using the same 2.89 DOM/OW ratio BoxOffice figured, Lionsgate is probably going to want at least a $51M opening weekend and a $148M domestic total.
johnboy3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #2844
WTFlipable
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaJack View Post
I can't see them skipping Lord Zedd or Green Ranger. But man I'd by lying if I said I wouldn't love seeing The Machine Empire on screen.
Agreed. The way I see it is the second movie will adapt the green ranger saga while introducing Zedd, the third movie will be where Tommy gets the white ranger powers and some variation of the Thunder zords appear, then the fourth or fifth bring in the Ninja zords and powers, and finally the Zeo powers in the sixth or seventh film.
WTFlipable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #2845
hasso_opitz
Xiao the Uchu Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy3434 View Post
So, the long-range forecast from BoxOffice.com doesn't look great. They're estimating a $38M opening weekend and a $110M domestic total. They'll be updating it every Friday, but that's where they stand now.

Using the same 2.89 DOM/OW ratio BoxOffice figured, Lionsgate is probably going to want at least a $51M opening weekend and a $148M domestic total.
You should know better than to post negative theories, silly! Because:

But they're wrong and it'll make a billion and if it doesn't it wasn't supposed to be for the masses it was just for us and also pirating and sneaking in and reasons.
hasso_opitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #2846
⚡Dukemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasso_opitz View Post
You should know better than to post negative theories, silly! Because:

But they're wrong and it'll make a billion and if it doesn't it wasn't supposed to be for the masses it was just for us and also pirating and sneaking in and reasons.
I already outlined why I don't want us posting from that website. So let's not and say we did.
Dukemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #2847
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukemon View Post
I already outlined why I don't want us posting from that website. So let's not and say we did.
Sorry, I didn't see where you said that. I'll shut up about it.
Old January 29th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #2848
Kyle16
Figuring it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFlipable View Post
Agreed. The way I see it is the second movie will adapt the green ranger saga while introducing Zedd, the third movie will be where Tommy gets the white ranger powers and some variation of the Thunder zords appear, then the fourth or fifth bring in the Ninja zords and powers, and finally the Zeo powers in the sixth or seventh film.
Somehow I don't think they'll be aiming to hit all these predictable beats. They want to keep fans guessing at every turn, not merely adapt episode arcs we've already seen.

Last edited by Kyle16; January 29th, 2017 at 05:07 PM.
Kyle16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 02:16 PM   #2849
NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle16 View Post
Somehow I don't think they'll be aiming to hit all these predictable notes. They want to keep fans guessing at every turn, not merely adapt episode arcs we've already seen.
Yeah no point in adapting the Ninjetti powers twice.
NinjaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #2850
Miraculous Bikkun
おす!

Three times, really. At this stage, it's honestly safe to just throw away "This has to happen because the show did it". They're not following that rule.
Miraculous Bikkun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #2851
Darthbane2007
Power Ranger

They're probably going to mix certain elements for the sequel or sequels. I don't see every season getting its own movie...
Darthbane2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 03:54 PM   #2852
hasso_opitz
Xiao the Uchu Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukemon View Post
I'm sorry, didn't even see that either.
hasso_opitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:09 PM   #2853
RiffRanger
Super Mega Ultrazord

In the same breath, they say how the movie will bring in families and be successful but then that it won't even make back its budget domestically. It doesn't make any sense. Plus, I just don't see how such projections can be made this far out when so many variable are still at play. How will the final promotional push go? What will its critical reception be? These things affect box office numbers far more than whatever factors they're using to come up with these numbers now.
RiffRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:12 PM   #2854
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmssw View Post
In the same breath, they say how the movie will bring in families and be successful but then that it won't even make back its budget domestically. It doesn't make any sense. Plus, I just don't see how such projections can be made this far out when so many variable are still at play. How will the final promotional push go? What will its critical reception be? These things affect box office numbers far more than whatever factors they're using to come up with these numbers now.
To be fair, they could be projecting a better overseas performance than they are here in the US/Canada.
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:17 PM   #2855
RiffRanger
Super Mega Ultrazord

The response to the trailers can't be ignored. I think people are being too pessimistic about its chances. The reception of the trailers has been phenomenal and far beyond anything I ever expected. The interest is there. People will see this movie as long as Lionsgate can keep their attention over the next two months and the reviews are at least decent. I see no reason why it can't make a hell of a lot more than $110 million domestically.
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #2856
Primo Ron Pink
The Knockout Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy3434 View Post
To be fair, they could be projecting a better overseas performance than they are here in the US/Canada.
When does Japan get the film again?

After all, if this is a scale we've never seen before, you KNOW they haven't seen it before and they put rubber suits in the top 5 on a regular basis.
Primo Ron Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #2857
RiffRanger
Super Mega Ultrazord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo Ron Pink View Post
When does Japan get the film again?

After all, if this is a scale we've never seen before, you KNOW they haven't seen it before and they put rubber suits in the top 5 on a regular basis.
They get it in July, so we'll have to wait a while to see how it does. Of course, I'm hoping by that time, it won't particularly matter because it will have already been successful enough domestically and elsewhere overseas. Successful in Japan or not, if the movie doesn't do well enough here, we aren't going to get any more movies.
Old January 29th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #2858
RiffRanger
Super Mega Ultrazord

But again, hoping a movie does well overseas because it failed here isn't a good situation to be in. Lionsgate doesn't make anything off of their movies overseas. They sell the international distribution rights to fund their movies. They need it to do well here. Yes, their margin of success is smaller because of this model, but $110 million won't cut it.
Old January 29th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #2859
NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

I"m going to go and keep my expectations low. But I think it's going to do well
NinjaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #2860
RiffRanger
Super Mega Ultrazord

How many times has Pacific Rim 2 been delayed and even cancelled? It's hardly a runaway success. Again, barely successful isn't really successful, especially when it negatively affects the public perception. People know Pacific Rim 2 has gone through hell to be made and the studio doesn't really want to make it. That doesn't translate to a lot of interest from the general audience.

So, no, making $110 million here and then hoping it does well in China is not a good situation to be in. Now, I don't think it will actually do that poorly here. I think it has a very good chance to be very successful domestically. But if it isn't, we can't cling to China and Japan like it will somehow undo the damage done by flopping in the US where it really counts for our chances for a franchise to develop.

Tags
2017, power rangers movie, use spoiler tags.