RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > Merchandise Discussion

Old May 4th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #1
buddyndc04
Power Ranger

Best way to clean your zords?

Hey I've been getting my megazords in and was wondering if anyone had any good pointer or tips. Mainly trying to get the "sticky glue sticker stuff" off so I can apply the new ones. Also about getting some obvious dirt or something off. Thanks for all the help in advance!
buddyndc04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #2
Shirubaa
Mr. Silver

Really, REALLY big towels.
Shirubaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Riddle87
Power Ranger

use rubbing alcohol to remove the white sticker stuff but be careful not to rub the paint off.

As for general cleaning either get an air duster and you can clean them that way or you can get a rag and put plague on it and clean them with that, try not to spray the plague directly on the toy. It won't hurt the toy you would just be using more plague then you need to. Also a normal damp cloth works to just make sure to dry the toy after the wipe down. Also you can just buy a pack of baby wipes and clean your toys with that. So as you can see there are a lot of options.
Riddle87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

Do NOT put them in a washing machine.
Sadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Cosmo773
Power Ranger

My collection is on display out of the boxes and I use swiffers to take the initial dust off them. My collection is of such a size that I have to do a shelf a day and cycle through the week to keep up with it. Every 3 months I take them down for a big clean and use a plastic cleaner called NOVICE. It's antifog, antistatic and dust repellent, plus it gives them that "Just out of the box shine". Be careful around the stickers it can discolor/darken them.
NOVUS #1 is fine for general cleaning, if you get scuff marks or scratches on your toys NOVICE #2 or 3 are great for buffing them out!
Cosmo773 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #6
Gold Ranger Power
Power Ranger

I use swiffer alot
Gold Ranger Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #7
MysticMecha
Power Ranger

I buy tons of used figures so I do a lot of cleaning on figures that weren't well cared for.

I always start with pledge wipes. They take off dust and dirt and some food. And I have never had them hurt anything. Not paint or chrome or stickers.

To remove sticky residue use goo gone thats what its made for. and it works great. If you are trying to clean off a torn sticker with a bunch of paper still left get the paper wet with it and let it sit for a few minutes. Its also good for removing marker too.

For dirt or food I use rubbing alcohol. I apply both to a q-tip and apply directly to the spot.

GOO Gone and alcohol both hurt paint and stickers so make sure they are not dripping everywhere. Practice using them on crappy figures first. Things like how hard and fast you rub effect how quick the paint comes off. I do use goo gone to clean marks off paint. It does take off some of the paint but I often prefer a slight fading of the paint to a mark going across the graphic.

Rubbing alcohol takes paint off fast and also ruins chrome.

Last edited by MysticMecha; May 5th, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
MysticMecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #8
RussJericho23
Dragonzord!
eBay

Baby wipes and thumbnails...
RussJericho23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #9
acroyear5
Power Ranger

if i buy a played with dusty and greasy zord i give it a 'bath' in warm water with a drop of dish liquid in and use a soft tooth brush to gently scrub it clean.

If its got stickers on that are really shabby i will remove them before cleaning and googone the sticky off. I then dry with paper towels. It's surprising just how much better a toy can look sans all those years of finger grease.
acroyear5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #10
troyjk
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroyear5 View Post
if i buy a played with dusty and greasy zord i give it a 'bath' in warm water with a drop of dish liquid in and use a soft tooth brush to gently scrub it clean.

If its got stickers on that are really shabby i will remove them before cleaning and googone the sticky off. I then dry with paper towels. It's surprising just how much better a toy can look sans all those years of finger grease.
Great idea,, i never really thought of dunking it in the bath lol.
troyjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #11
OSUmike03
Power Ranger

Do you guys not recommend re-painting zords, even if the paint is faded? In the process of cleaning up a DX OG Megazord and replacing stickers but the paint is faded or worn down on 4 of the 5 zords.

I had planned on repainting them. Good or bad idea?
OSUmike03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Uncle Haim Saban
Tale as old as time

Depends on your skill. If you have a lot of it, then sure go for it. If not, it can make your zords so much worse.
Uncle Haim Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #13
PRSSFAN
Power Ranger

Paint Thinner works great to get off paint marks and keeps the factories original protective coat unlike goo gone which removes the protective coat.
PRSSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #14
rocky505
Writer of PRLW

I wouldn't put them in a bathtub. That would cause rust. I've had to use Air spray cans to get dust off my zords on display.
rocky505 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #15
thor55121478
Power Ranger

if my zords get dusty, i use baby wipes.
thor55121478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #16
Uncle Haim Saban
Tale as old as time

A towel just to get things that look gross and are lightly stuck(My mom did day care you never know what was on those hands) off. Baby wipes for gunk and such.
Uncle Haim Saban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #17
raz
razzle1337.tumblr.com
eBay

Like this?

^_^
raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #18
dracoknight92
くろきし
eBay

I personally would use these Pine o Cleen wipes to clean my megazords, but it's annoying that there are always some small dusty areas on the toy that I can never reach into.

The idea of bathing the zords sounds good, but I would not risk damaging the stickers on some of the older ones.
dracoknight92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #19
MysticMecha
Power Ranger

I think bathing them is a really bad idea. Horrible for the stickers and likely to rust the screws and springs even in figures without electronics. If you want to use dishwater to clean them I'd just dip q-tips in it.

to fit in small areas q-tips help a lot. For really tight spots I tend to wrap a pledge wipe around something like a toothpick or eye glass screw driver.
MysticMecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #20
dracoknight92
くろきし
eBay

I've bathed my Super Robot Chogokin Gokai-oh in hot water for many times (like 3-4 months ago) and the screws seem to be in perfect shape, not sure if it is due to my luck or the screws Bandai uses are good.
dracoknight92 is offline   Reply With Quote