RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > Advertisements

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #1061
kalenabear
Time Force operative

Um, I actually went to listen to the Chumbawamba song afterwards. Oh the memories, hilarious!

Oh crap, I have to keep you guys posted about Sunday, too.
kalenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #1062
Lisa J
[insert wit here]

We've got a couple of promos for our fundraiser, including sneak peeks of upcoming convention footage. Again, we're raising money to get equipment for video production. If you love what we do, donate: http://indiegogo.com/nps

Promo 1 - Featuring Blake Foster, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Jason David Frank
Promo 2 - Featuring Johnny Yong Bosch, Jason David Frank, and David Yost
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1063
Lisa J
[insert wit here]

Episode 139: Precognitive Asian Powers is up!
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #1064
WhiteCrystalRanger
Banned

I'm sorry. Kudos to you guys doing what you do, but I don't like the show. I think what pulls me out is that you guys are trying to be "intelligent" by comparing it to Sentai, which is grating on the soul, instead of just doing what Linkara does (and gets rave reviews for his HOPR btw) and treating Power Rangers on its own merits. Also the overanalyzing a kids show... Nerds or not, it is annoying.
WhiteCrystalRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #1065
Lisa J
[insert wit here]

If the show didn't copy the Sentai instead of trying to make something new and on "its own merits", then it would get less comparisons. Even on its own merits, the show doesn't make sense a lot if the time.

And the whole "it's just a kids' show" is the oldest trick in the book when people don't like criticism. It was just a kids' show with seasons that I enjoy and would watch over again. Samurai shouldn't be treated any differently. Kids aren't dumb. You don't have to dumb down a show to the point where it's just flashy colors and sing-song voices. Treat your audience a little smarter.

Thanks for not screaming all over the place here like you did on the website. We've been upgraded from "idiots" and "morons" to just annoying. Success!
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1066
WhiteCrystalRanger
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa J View Post
If the show didn't copy the Sentai instead of trying to make something new and on "its own merits", then it would get less comparisons. Even on its own merits, the show doesn't make sense a lot if the time.

And the whole "it's just a kids' show" is the oldest trick in the book when people don't like criticism. It was just a kids' show with seasons that I enjoy and would watch over again. Samurai shouldn't be treated any differently. Kids aren't dumb. You don't have to dumb down a show to the point where it's just flashy colors and sing-song voices. Treat your audience a little smarter.

Thanks for not screaming all over the place here like you did on the website. We've been upgraded from "idiots" and "morons" to just annoying. Success!
Then how come I can watch it and enjoy it for what it is then if it was all flashy colours and sing song voices. Its Sentai counterpart can at times be 10x as cheesy and stupid, arguably more so at points (I mean an entire crew of flag carriers? REALLY?! Not to mention they talk a shitton more when doing intros the monsters would've killed them anyways, which is just down to "Rangers Together, Samurai Forever"). And I honestly don't see how they are not treating their audience smart or stupid because bad delivery aside due to inexperience as actors, the story has been purty solid. Sure not everything's quite explained, but then again, Power Rangers. Nuff said.

I don't see how an hour of nitpicking such overt silliness is going to make things feel better... At all. Because adult fans only make up approx. 10% of the audience and unlike the WWE as of late, Saban is NOT going to cater to that 10%. And since I don't really like Shinkenger very much (and I DID watch it ftr), I've just learned to stomach some of the cheese. Besides. Power Rangers. SUPPOSED to be cheesy and corny.
WhiteCrystalRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #1067
Lisa J
[insert wit here]

Speaking personally, I'm not a big fan of Sentai, so your inferences about me liking the sentai more is incorrect. I don't care for it, and wouldn't go out my way to watch. When we do talk about Gokiger, I'm just as hard on it as Samurai. There are things I like, things I don't like, and things that just don't make sense.

If you want to watch Teletubbies 24/7 and enjoy that for what it is, by all means. That show never changed, pretty much stayed the same, and never grew. Fine. But Power Rangers has changed over the years. Nothing wrong with some cheesy fun, but I don't want Teletubbies. That's the difference. You can have fun while having clever and smart characters. Other kids' shows have that aspect and are successful. Heck, other Power Rangers seasons have had that aspect and been successful.

You can call it nitpicking all you want, but asking for developed characters and a good story is not nitpicking.
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #1068
Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

I think the fact that you were just banned for being an unruly douche elsewhere on the board speaks volumes about your critique of our critique here. I already responded to your increasingly angry comments on the website, so I'll choose not to triple-post the same mess, as you did. Suffice it to say, we disagree, so you can enjoy the new season and I'll do my best to give it a chance, as I always have. However, "a chance" does not equal "a free pass." Nor has it ever, for any season.
Multiple Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #1069
JDF'd
When I Move, I Slice Like A Fucking Hammer

Like Lisa said, we talk so much about Shinkenger because Samurai has all but forced our hand if we want to get any deeper than discussing martial arts action and explosions... which we do. Even if the show is complete dog shit, I still look forward to sitting down on a Sunday night and hashing out the episodes with my friends. The fact that Lisa records it, edits it, and turns it into a podcast that people enjoy listening to is icing on the cake.

WhiteCrystalRanger/Matt? By all means, people have a right to disagree with us. I welcome more people to comment both here and on the official website no matter what their own opinion may be. The only thing I ask is that everyone conducts themselves with some measure of decorum. Calling us "morons" and "tools" for disagreeing with you ranks a zero on the decorum meter.

Spoiler alert: adults talking about a kids' show is our bread and butter. I'm guessing you knew that before listening to an episode (assuming you actually took the time to listen to a full episode before jumping to your keyboard.) Unlike the series itself, I urge you to stop listening if you don't like it. We're not an institution from your childhood and thus you have no duty to keep listening. You seem to hate the very foundation of what we do. I'm sorry, but that's not going to change.

Although, if you feel like we talk too much about the sentai then I urge you to listen to any of our older episodes about RPM. If you do, you'll notice that we very infrequently mention Go-onger. If we do, it's very briefly for a funny anecdote. We do that because RPM decided to be its own animal. It didn't necessitate discussion by basically being the result of a transparency rubbing. We judged it on its own merits. Most of the time we liked it. Rarely (i.e. "The Dome Dolls") we didn't. We had varying degrees of appreciation for Scott and the twins that ran the table of possibilities.

You can make all the excuses that you want for Samurai and pretend that certain series are special circumstances but that all boils down to excuses and a profound misunderstanding. We're here to discuss Power Rangers. End of. If the current season sucks, we'll say so. If the current season is great, we'll say so. We'll also discuss why we think it is the way it is and what led up to that. That's the point.

We're not trying to be cool. We're trying to have fun. Maybe you should practice some of that respect and tolerance that Samurai is supposedly teaching?
JDF'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1070
puperazzi
Dormant Org
eBay

I don't think it's that big of a deal. Everyone has their opinions. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
puperazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #1071
JDF'd
When I Move, I Slice Like A Fucking Hammer

I don't want your sass, Henry Clay!
JDF'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #1072
puperazzi
Dormant Org
eBay

Ugh, don't make me look things up.
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #1073
Lisa J
[insert wit here]

Episode 140: The End of the World is up!

For those who downloaded from iTunes, you'll get a little easter egg. (Being censored on Facebook is not cool, lol!)

Last edited by Lisa J; February 16th, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #1074
Clarky
Waka! Waka!

Great episode guys, also I want to point out a part in the episode when JDF'd was talking about the dream sequence in Shinkenger. When Genta was dreaming about having 3 stars for his sushi cart. JDF'd ends up saying "Even in your perfect ideal world you still have only 3 stars that's how much you know your sushi sucks".

Having 3 stars is actually the highest rating you can get in the restaurant business and it's rare to achieve. Restaurants are rated by the Michelin Guide book.

One star means "very good cuisine"
Two stars means "excellent cuisine, worth a detour"
Three stars means "exceptional cuisine, worth a special journey"
Clarky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #1075
Lisa J
[insert wit here]

I made an appearance on This Week in Geek talking about Power Rangers in general: seasons, toys, rumors, and more. Listen or DIE!

http://thisweekingeek.net/episodes/t...k-spandex-live
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #1076
SuperKnight
Power Ranger

Hi Lisa, I recently subscribed to no pink spandex on itunes, and will begin listening to all the podcasts starting tonight....
SuperKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:44 PM   #1077
Lisa J
[insert wit here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnight View Post
Hi Lisa, I recently subscribed to no pink spandex on itunes, and will begin listening to all the podcasts starting tonight....
That's awesome! Glad to have a new fan!

Episode 145: Precocious Man Child is up!
Old June 22nd, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1078
puperazzi
Dormant Org
eBay

Oh I do love the blooper reel.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1079
nes1984
Power Ranger

Have to save I love :No Pink Spandex" Great shows and interviews!
nes1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1080
Yazuka
yazuka.net

Really great podcast! One of the few I listen too.
Yazuka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discussion, interviews, news, no pink spandex, podcast