RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old April 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4221
Thermite Kitten
i am rayblad man? щ(~Д~щ)

There are an infinite number of AR worlds. The first 9 were just the worlds that he was required to go to get powers for the suit and things that I won't spoil. Decade could have theoretically journeyed indefinitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron723 View Post
When Yuka had enough and started to attack her other classmates, I wasn't thinking "Oh my god what is she doing?!" I was thinking "They deserved it, each and every one of them". Being a show I feel comfortable saying that, but I felt no pity whatsoever when she killed them.
That was the point. It was supposed to be cathartic, vigilante justice. You, as a viewer, were never meant to be horrified or disapproving.
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #4222
Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

No, I think it's pretty easy to be both horrified and understanding at the same time. The people who treated her like crap were obviously terrible people and deserved some kind of punishment. But it's also murder (or could be interpreted as such at least), and she doesn't want to be a murderer. She ripped them apart because she's angry and powerful and doesn't know how to control herself.
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #4223
timegold
Imagin Nation

I've finished the Chou Den-O Trilogy and Decade 24-25.

Episode Red focuses on Yuuto's and Airi's relationship, focusing on Airi's feelings. This wasn't possible in the series, as by plot necessity, Airi's memory had to be erased. A random guy and Yuuto are both trying to earn her love, which causes her to be put into the "damsel in distress" role. Yet this doesn't significantly weaken her character; she initially chose to be separated from Yuuto, meaning she was making her own decisions. I'm surprised that a certain point wasn't emphasized: their relationship was necessary for the timeline, as Hana needs to exist for the Den-O series to take place. If Yuuto failed to woo Airi, it could've created a time paradox.

Episode Blue focuses on Kotaro's and Teddy's (or should I say Alexandrovich?) partnership. There were parallel plots about taking someone for granted and not realizing how important they were until they were lost - these stories captured the emotional range of a partnership very effectively. Kotaro is forced to work with new partners (Ryotaro's Imagins), and they don't mesh as well - this is toyed with for some interesting humor. Teddy/Alexandrovich and Miku both recognize the importance of their partner to the extent of being willing to sacrifice themselves, their times, in order to help the one they care about. The ending was bittersweet and touching.

Episode Yellow focuses on Daiki's attempt to change the past, and on an overzealous Time Police officer's attempt to stop him. Daiki and Reiji are actually rather similar: they're solitary and have trust issues, and they stop at nothing for their personal missions. Daiki's philosophy is that treasure should be protected, and he goes to great lengths manipulating the timeline to protect the treasure that got away. In doing so, he inadvertently uncovers and protects Reiji's treasure, and while Reiji learns from this experience, becoming more trusting, Daiki's still the same Daiki, a self-centered solitary antihero.

About the color names: I'm guessing Red refers to Yuuto's Zero form and to love; Blue refers to the New Den-O form and Teddy, and to melancholy; Yellow refers to the color of the gun.

Decade 24-25 was the crossover with Shinkenger. Genta's attitude towards Riders is somewhat prejudiced; he acts as if they're all the same. Takeru's more open to them, willing to listen to what they have to say. Narutaki reveals more about himself, spreading rumors about Decade and even appearing before Tsukasa. Daiki actually was willing to throw away one treasure to gain something valuable - this is more like Basco's philosophy than his own. Judging by release dates, this and Episode Yellow occur at about the same time; perhaps Genta outwitting him made him realize the importance of protecting treasure and prompted him to steal Den Liner.

As the previews indicate, the next episode will introduce Dai Shocker, presumably the evil organization who will end up the main villain. It could be a great shock.
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4224
tasti man LH
Contract?

Ep 30 of Faiz.

So after 30 episodes, we FINALLY have the moment where Takumi and Kiba find out each other's true identities! Alright, now the two of them can finally take the fight to Smart Brain together!.....

....aaannnd Kusaka continues to be a colossal dick by sabotaging the budding friendship between Takumi and Kiba.....by stealing the Faiz belt and attacking Kiba while using it, and then telling Takumi that Kiba was the one who swiped his belt.

Just....why?

I mean, is the guy that hell-bent on trying to win over Mari? I mean yeah, I get the guy is pretty obsessive, but really? Guy needs to get his priorities straight.

Keep it up Kusaka, you're fast becoming my least favorite Rider of all time, eve more so then freakin' Jun!
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #4225
AtoMan
Now read my post again

Quote:
Originally Posted by timegold View Post
Judging by release dates, this and Episode Yellow occur at about the same time; perhaps Genta outwitting him made him realize the importance of protecting treasure and prompted him to steal Den Liner.
But the Trilogy doesn't happen until after the series finale...
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #4226
JediMB
VIP Ranger

Quote:
I'm surprised that a certain point wasn't emphasized: their relationship was necessary for the timeline, as Hana needs to exist for the Den-O series to take place. If Yuuto failed to woo Airi, it could've created a time paradox.
That's really irrelevant, isn't it, since Hana was established to have been born in a now non-existent timeline? She was supposed to have been born at the time when Sakurai-the-Older disappeared... before the Den-O series even started.

Quote:
Judging by release dates, this and Episode Yellow occur at about the same time; perhaps Genta outwitting him made him realize the importance of protecting treasure and prompted him to steal Den Liner.
Mistake? The Shinkenger crossover aired in July of 2009, whereas Episode Yellow had its theatrical release 11 months later.

If Decade's continuity has any relevance to begin with, we can say with certainty that the entire Super Den-O Trilogy takes place after the conclusion of Decade's story.
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #4227
Fleur
Fleur-de-licious

So, I've recently decided to take the plunge and have a go at Kiva. Prior to doing so, I have seen vocal expressions of hate towards Kiva for poor writing, uninteresting romance subplots, mixed reactions towards some guy named Otoya, Kusaka's bastard little brother - all sorts of things. Anyway, now that I'm done with Kiva, I need to vent out a few things that have been lingering around in my head:

I have major issues with the whole 1986/2008 divide thing. No, I'm not implying that it was a ridiculously stupid idea. I actually applauded the concept. I think it was a fresh direction that could open up many potential doors for seeing how father and son in two distinct worlds of their own interact within their own time periods and how they individually grow and develop. Instead however, it was poorly handled in quite a number of ways.

Am I supposed to believe that the Blue Sky Organisation was so ineffective in 1986 that for the most part of the show, they could barely even kill any Fangires? And then one by one, these Fangires that have easily escaped death in 1986 disappear off the radar, but resurface in 2008, only to be finally killed in the present day?

I'm not too satisfied with how the Otoya and Jiro thing was wrapped up. Yes, it got the job done near the end, but it felt halfhearted. Something that started off with such a nice dramatic edge regressed into some more comic relief, which I suppose can be overlooked, as I did enjoy that moment where Otoya and Jiro disguise themselves in the hospital.

As for all the romance jazz: it didn't feel natural watching Yuri being basically an utter tsundere cranked up to the max, particularly in how for the rest of the series, she regressed to simply just wandering around, depressed that Otoya had found another woman. Megumi, what the heck were you on when you married Nago, a man you initially couldn't stand? There was barely anything going on between the two of them that could be considered the blossoming of true love. It was just near the end that like a lightbulb, all of a sudden something came on, and they just decided to quickly marry.

The tonal shifts in Nago as a character were just bizarre. It was never properly explained why Kiva was regarded as being a threat just as potent and dangerous - if not, worse - than the Fangires, so the initial moments of IXA totally going at it unrestrained seemed pointless. The whole psychotic craze with the buttons was...disturbing to say the least. Then when Nago realised who Kiva was, he calmly accepted it and agreed to fight with him, despite how bat-shit passionate he had been earlier about crucifying Kiva. Upon losing IXA, Inoue decided to demote him to comic relief status, and by the end, his temporary blindness became a contrived excuse to get him and Megumi to bond, or whatever. Nago had to be one of the best cases of schizophrenic writing and characterisation I have ever seen.

Since I don't want this to be too long, I also want to additionally comment on the fact that it's difficult to believe that the Wataru in the Kiva suit was supposed to be the same meek, shy and eccentric little Wataru we see out of suit. What did Kivat bite into his veins for him to suddenly kick ass like that? While I love Saga's design, having Taiga as a rider was unnecessary when he could have simply had a Fangire form, and so much more could have been done with Dark Kiva. I'd have thought that Dark Kiva could have solidified the reasons why by 2008, Kiva was seen to be so murderously vicious. But, no. Disappointing.
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #4228
McAster
I engage in motion

When it comes to Kiva suddenly not being "the big evil that must be destroyed" it was at the start, I fully blame the time travel. Going back and changing things more than once altered things drastically and either prevented the former King from doing something really horrible or created it anew so that Otoya could do it.

I think it's also the reason for the change in behaviour of people, as they all become different people from when they were introduced to when the show ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasti man LH View Post
Keep it up Kusaka, you're fast becoming my least favorite Rider of all time, eve more so then freakin' Jun!
That's more than me. I could not favour the guy at all. If I wasn't so invested in the story and other characters, and Mr. Bear, he would have made me stop watching due to the nature of the show.
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #4229
Merlin
Iiiii am a BaNAna Rider!

I agree that Saga, as elegant and clever as his design is, wasn't needed as a power for the story context. Taiga could have just shown up having claimed Dark Kiva off screen and used it snce his debut and it wouldn't have affected anything.

Saga just seems to have been tossed in there for the sake of having a third Rider suit in the mix. One that isn't quite the King that Emperor/Dark Kiva represents, but another power that is completely Fangire, used by Fangires.

The entire backstory of the Fangires, and how they organized their forces between 1986 and 2008, wasn't as fully explored as I wanted. They're painted as the enemy but they're half of our hero's legacy. Virtually the only focus was on the love triangle between Maya, Otoya, and King, which didn't do much to explain things. Much of the information on screen isn't clear enough to put a picture together of the Fangire race, and the remaining info is flimsy from magazines.
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #4230
Thermite Kitten
i am rayblad man? щ(~Д~щ)

Oh dear. When I first saw Kiva, it took me until the debut of Dogga Form to realize that Wonderful Blue Sky wasn't doing something to keep the Fangire inactive for the 22 year gap.

Nago was odd. I liked him as a stubborn knight ("God, you are wrong. I am always right.") and the psychotic episode was a one-off by a guest writer, so I can forgive that. That point where Nago becomes 753-kun and Kengo becomes a hardcore punk was just weird. Then he kind of becomes Kamen Rider G3-X near the end.

According to writer stuff we got as Kiva aired, it seems like Otoya was supposed to use Wake Up 3 as Dark Kiva to destroy King, cause horrible collateral damage and turn that pond they fight by into that gigantic chasm that Wataru falls into (the one that the IXA arm saved him in.) But, like the majority of Kiva's mythos, it was a cool thing that wasn't used in the show due to horrible writing. 13 Demon Races, each with their own gimmicks and design motifs, and we only get a handful. Really?

Wataru had the potential for character development with how he fought and his occasional righteous rage, but somehow that became "no development until he meets his dad, then he becomes hardcore abruptly."
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #4231
timegold
Imagin Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
Mistake? The Shinkenger crossover aired in July of 2009, whereas Episode Yellow had its theatrical release 11 months later.

If Decade's continuity has any relevance to begin with, we can say with certainty that the entire Super Den-O Trilogy takes place after the conclusion of Decade's story.
[checks] Hmm, I must've mixed up years when looking at the release date. Anyway, losing Genta's squid origami (along with other events) still could've made Daiki realize how important it is to protect his own treasure; something else must've prompted his actions.
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #4232
Chiron723
Power Ranger

Well I've seen the first two episodes of Hibiki. I was more bored than entertained. Though for better or worse I'm watching Hibiki until the end, I hope that the first two episodes aren't an indication of the rest of the series or I'm in trouble. There were some entertaining aspects of it, and others got me thinking about the series as a whole, but for the most part it was hard to watch due to nothing happening.
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #4233
DragonRanger Warrior mode
The Phantom Lord

Welcome to my experience with Blade. ....only cross out the 'watching until the end.'
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #4234
JediMB
VIP Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron723 View Post
Well I've seen the first two episodes of Hibiki. I was more bored than entertained. Though for better or worse I'm watching Hibiki until the end, I hope that the first two episodes aren't an indication of the rest of the series or I'm in trouble. There were some entertaining aspects of it, and others got me thinking about the series as a whole, but for the most part it was hard to watch due to nothing happening.
That's how I felt when I tried Hibiki the first time, so I skipped forward (backward) to Kabuto after the Hibiki premiere.

Tried again later and ended up loving the series.
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #4235
AtoMan
Now read my post again

I watched Kabuto and Hibiki parallelly, dropped Hibiki halfway then picked it up after the awesome movie. I'm... not tempted to watch the series again, really.
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #4236
Primo Haim Saban
Sailor Mooned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur View Post
Am I supposed to believe that the Blue Sky Organisation was so ineffective in 1986 that for the most part of the show, they could barely even kill any Fangires? And then one by one, these Fangires that have easily escaped death in 1986 disappear off the radar, but resurface in 2008, only to be finally killed in the present day?
On some level, I found that extremely realistic. When the show begins, IXA hasn't even been completed, and when it's introduced, it's highly unstable. So the idea that the human race wouldn't even be close to in-step enough to take out the threat on a consistent scale was very believable. It'd be like us in the real world suddenly dealing with monsters. The only one that truly depressed me was when to save Blue Sky, Nago let Cicada Fangire run around murdering innocent people for another 22 years just so the artist wouldn't grow up to hate IXA and throw everybody in jail.

The re-emergence stuff? Yeah, I'm willing to think that had something to do with the burgeoning powers of the new King and Queen coming to light. I'm probably wrong, but it makes me happier.

Quote:
The tonal shifts in Nago as a character were just bizarre. It was never properly explained why Kiva was regarded as being a threat just as potent and dangerous - if not, worse - than the Fangires, so the initial moments of IXA totally going at it unrestrained seemed pointless. Then when Nago realised who Kiva was, he calmly accepted it and agreed to fight with him, despite how bat-shit passionate he had been earlier about crucifying Kiva.
This pissed me off as well. We'd been waiting patiently for how the whole Friends with Nago/Enemies with IXA thing was going to blow up in Wataru's face, and it didn't in the slightest. I hadn't considered Ken's take on it with timey-wimey somehow altering the feelings we'd already seen prior, but it's still annoying to know the writers preferred the formulaic love triangle with subsequent triple revelation to muck things up for our hero as opposed to what groundwork had already been laid with Megumi and Nago.

Quote:
Since I don't want this to be too long, I also want to additionally comment on the fact that it's difficult to believe that the Wataru in the Kiva suit was supposed to be the same meek, shy and eccentric little Wataru we see out of suit. What did Kivat bite into his veins for him to suddenly kick ass like that?
I always viewed Kiva as Wataru's way of honoring his mother and father. He never necessarily wanted the job, but felt compelled to do so out of respect to them, and probably to Kivat as well, since he was probably the only friend he had in between when Taiga left and Shizuka showed up.

As for his badass persona, my feeling was Wataru always had that inside of him, mainly because of his Fangire lineage, but also because of the f'd up way he grew up. In essence, both his mind and body were the tale of two individuals (much like the two timelines we watch). He was part human, wanting to be a normal human boy and was angry at the world for the complications he had to deal with. As such, he channeled that rage by pummeling the crap out of the beasts who drove his mother into exile and ultimately led to his father's death. He was also part monster, so blind rage came more easily to him than the rest of us. It showed in Wataru more as the series went on, whenever he tried his best not to hear the call to action from Bloody Rose. And he'd mastered it by the time he pretended he wanted to be the new King, only for it to have been a ruse to snap his big brother out of his machinations.

We always knew who the true face of Wataru was by one of my favorite scenes, at the end of Episode 7 when he runs and hides from Nago in the parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I agree that Saga, as elegant and clever as his design is, wasn't needed as a power for the story context. Taiga could have just shown up having claimed Dark Kiva off screen and used it snce his debut and it wouldn't have affected anything.
Especially when his claiming of Dark Kiva didn't make a lick of sense in the context of the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermite Kitten View Post
13 Demon Races, each with their own gimmicks and design motifs, and we only get a handful. Really?
Over half is considered a handful nowadays?

God, I forgot how much I loved Kiva. It was a damn-near perfect show, I just wish they'd tied up the loose ends presented in the first half (Where did Rook go if Yuri didn't kill him? How did Yuri die? Did she give birth to Mitsuhide too? How did Tatsulot get in CastleDran to begin with, and what connection did he have to Kiva to escape when the time was right?) and not essentially written a different show in the second half (WHERE DID SHIZUKA GOOOOO?). But, I suppose having too much story is certainly a more worthwhile problem than having too little.
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #4237
AtoMan
Now read my post again

They hid Yuri's date of death from us, then nohing came out of it. Kiva was trully full of missed opportunities.
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #4238
tasti man LH
Contract?

*sigh* Pity that at this point, any Kiva Returns DVD side stories is a pipe dream at best.....I'd certainly buy them.....
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #4239
Primo Haim Saban
Sailor Mooned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasti man LH View Post
Pity that at this point, any Kiva Returns DVD side stories is a pipe dream at best.....
C'mon, it's not like they'd have used said side stories to actually resolve anything. This is Toei we're talking about!

"I don't know, let's just bring back Grizzly Fangire and have DoGaBaKi Emperor Form use Basshaa Fever to kill it!"
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #4240
Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

There has to be some kind of miracle transformation that just happens because they said so though.

Kiva combines with Ixa to become Kixa!

"Wake up, Sun down!"
Closed Thread

Tags
a lot is two words