RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > General Discussion

Old April 5th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #21
Storm Eagle
eoPrw aegnRr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBlue View Post
The ADR issue isn't because "well, so-and-so left after the others." ADR is done in phases at different times. It just happens that Thuy was further along in ADR than Austin and Walter when they walked out, hence why her voice is Trini in some episodes and not-Trini in others.

Look at "Trakeena's Revenge:" Leo's voice changes from scene to scene because he left mid-stream in recording dialogue. It's not "start at the beginning, finish at the end," rather "do this batch of scenes today, and come back tomorrow to continue on with this batch of scenes."

--

Also, "back in the day" is way back in 1994. I knew something was up when the voices started to be different for the characters. I figured that Curtis and Ritchie must have been brought in for replacement candidates. Tommy being the White Ranger was a little suspenseful, but, in hindsight, it was BLATANTLY OBVIOUS the entire time, considering that Jason David Frank was kept in the credits during the entire time that Tommy was gone. I didn't suspect Curtis or Ritchie to be White Ranger candidates at all. Later, when the new trio was introduced, I quickly caught on that they'd be the new replacements. Then, Curtis and Ritchie dropped out of the picture. I do remember being ECSTATIC when the new trio finally got their powers. The team was whole again. The show felt like it wasn't limping along anymore.
Okay so my theory is out the window.

I might be mistaken, but wasn't Brad Hawkins going to be the White Ranger at some point, only to end up on VR Troopers instead?
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #22
MegaBlue
Misfit Kid, Total Outcast

I think that was going to happen, but JDF's Ranger popularity foisted him back onto Power Rangers, leaving the Metalder adaptation to be scrapped and reworked into VR Troopers.
MegaBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #23
Lilandriss
Power Ranger

I'm currently watching part 2 of the ninja encounter and I swear it actually sounds like they used Curtis's voice in place of Zack's in this one scene where Jason, Zack and Trini get frozen by the flower monster.
Lilandriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #24
bushwacka666
PRZT: back! No, really!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirStack View Post
In the original drafts of the script, presumably filmed, during "White Light, Part I", Richie would make a hasty exit when Bulk & Skull come in, implying he has somewhere important to be. Later, we learn it was a karate tournament (explaining the point of his trophy in part 2).
You know, since you bring this part up, I'm going to mention something that's always been on my mind regarding that scene.

I find it a little hard to explain properly, but when Ritchie tells the gang "I won it (his trophy) in a karate tournament this afternoon", to me he has this certain tone in his voice and this certain expression on his face that makes it seem like he was a little... I don't know... annoyed or something. As if nobody else cared enough to know about it. It was like he was coming across all "Yeah I also have things important to me, but you ignorant bastards - my so-called "friends" - didn't even show up to watch! Well screw you!"

It's a small moment but I can't help but get that impression every time I see it. Is it just me?
bushwacka666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #25
Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchichan View Post
That is the EXACT ad I was talking about!

I'm not actually 100% sure it was a Disney Adventure-- I read a buttload of magazines/comics in the day. But I do remember it was for that card-reader game and how I wanted that game SO BADLY.
It was spoiled for me Weeks in advance - the smaller of the large plushes said Tommy The White Ranger.
I didn't even know that there would be a White Ranger. all i knew was that Tommy had just lost his powers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBlue View Post
The ADR issue isn't because "well, so-and-so left after the others." ADR is done in phases at different times. It just happens that Thuy was further along in ADR than Austin and Walter when they walked out, hence why her voice is Trini in some episodes and not-Trini in others.

Look at "Trakeena's Revenge:" Leo's voice changes from scene to scene because he left mid-stream in recording dialogue. It's not "start at the beginning, finish at the end," rather "do this batch of scenes today, and come back tomorrow to continue on with this batch of scenes."

--

Also, "back in the day" is way back in 1994. I knew something was up when the voices started to be different for the characters. I figured that Curtis and Ritchie must have been brought in for replacement candidates. Tommy being the White Ranger was a little suspenseful, but, in hindsight, it was BLATANTLY OBVIOUS the entire time, considering that Jason David Frank was kept in the credits during the entire time that Tommy was gone. I didn't suspect Curtis or Ritchie to be White Ranger candidates at all. Later, when the new trio was introduced, I quickly caught on that they'd be the new replacements. Then, Curtis and Ritchie dropped out of the picture. I do remember being ECSTATIC when the new trio finally got their powers. The team was whole again. The show felt like it wasn't limping along anymore.

Weren't the auditions for the new trio a very fast-paced process? I don't think it was very long before Steve, Johnny, and Karan were cast in their roles. Certainly, the production team didn't have months to spend combing the country looking for new Rangers, did they?
Actually they did. They used the pretense of "finding new Putty Patrollers"
There was an interview with one of the Putties selected from way back in the day. His name is in the credits too.
Tsukasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #26
Storm Eagle
eoPrw aegnRr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwacka666 View Post
You know, since you bring this part up, I'm going to mention something that's always been on my mind regarding that scene.

I find it a little hard to explain properly, but when Ritchie tells the gang "I won it (his trophy) in a karate tournament this afternoon", to me he has this certain tone in his voice and this certain expression on his face that makes it seem like he was a little... I don't know... annoyed or something. As if nobody else cared enough to know about it. It was like he was coming across all "Yeah I also have things important to me, but you ignorant bastards - my so-called "friends" - didn't even show up to watch! Well screw you!"

It's a small moment but I can't help but get that impression every time I see it. Is it just me?
Yeah, I...never got that vibe. Not even when I just watched the scene to check.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #27
MegaBlue
Misfit Kid, Total Outcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
Actually they did. They used the pretense of "finding new Putty Patrollers"
There was an interview with one of the Putties selected from way back in the day. His name is in the credits too.
Really? I always thought it was a sudden, sped-up process. I guess it makes sense that the auditions were happening for a while.
MegaBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #28
c_dude
Power Ranger

I vaguely remember at the time hearing rumours of auditions for Power Rangers, but at the time I had thought it was for the White Ranger.
c_dude is offline   Reply With Quote