RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Discussion Forums > General Discussion

Old April 5th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Loghorn
Power Ranger

Do you think that the full opening themes should be played before the episode begins?

Do you think that the full opening themes of Ultraman, Metal Heroes, Kamen Rider, & Super Sentai should be played throughout each series before the episode begins? Why or why not?

I think that it should be done once you get to the middle of each series, especially after the extra senshi warriors appear in Sentai along with more mechas.

Last edited by Loghorn; April 5th, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Loghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Internutt
Scottish Sentai

The opening is always something that will be required. It has been a staple of television for years. The opening theme is very important as it sets the tone of the series and the general theme.

My favourite example of an opening done correctly is the Batman Animated Series theme. Not once does it ever display the text 'Batman' anywhere, but the gothic visuals, theme song and action orientated sequence all scream Batman. Even without knowing who the character is, you still get a great idea on what kind of person they are and what world Batman lives in.

I really liked what RPM did with the end credits, allowing a little more time to wrap up the episode.

One thing I've noticed about Kamen Rider is that there are no closing credits. Am I right in saying this or do sub teams cut out credits at the end?
Internutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #3
TheSilentWatcher
I ruin everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internutt View Post
One thing I've noticed about Kamen Rider is that there are no closing credits. Am I right in saying this or do sub teams cut out credits at the end?
No, Kamen Rider doesn't have credits at the end of their episodes. Only the finale has credits in it's final sequence.
TheSilentWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Loghorn
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internutt View Post
The opening is always something that will be required. It has been a staple of television for years. The opening theme is very important as it sets the tone of the series and the general theme.
I know. What I mean is, the full complete opening songs, as before each episode, they only play the opening themes partially.
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5
GreenNinja
Vivid Aoi Operation

That's like, three minutes. You can't dedicate that much time to credits when you only have 24 minutes - splitting three of those between OP and ED is sensible, and done for a reason.
GreenNinja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #6
archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

No. Japan already pushes the time with over a minute, for the opening. 3 minutes would be murder. To the person waiting for a 2 part conclusion. And wasting 2 mins of the story. But I do hate those garbage no openings. Just title and that's it stuff.
archer9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #7
GreenNinja
Vivid Aoi Operation

1:30 is a fine amount of time for an opening sequence. Long enough to be artistic, but not overly short.
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #8
kamenraidaking
Power Ranger

i think the full opening should play, but as it usually does, in the middle of an important fight, so that we now something cool is about to happen, but to play it as the title sequence is a bit excessive to me
kamenraidaking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Remmy 84
King of the Munchkins!

I think they should be. If its a good opening then it needs keeping in. Genre stepping aside, take Scrubs. They tried changing the opening, massive backlash. They tried shortening it, massive backlash. Some things just belong.

Plus if you dont like it, jump/fast forward past it.
Remmy 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #10
kamenraidaking
Power Ranger

yeah, i still remember watching power rangers and screaming like a little girl out of excitement every time the intro music played, i would so have loved hear the full theme at the beginning of at least an episode
kamenraidaking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Loghorn
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
That's like, three minutes. You can't dedicate that much time to credits when you only have 24 minutes - splitting three of those between OP and ED is sensible, and done for a reason.
And some full opening themes are over 3 minutes, like Magiranger (which is about almost 5 minutes long).
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #12
GreenNinja
Vivid Aoi Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loghorn View Post
And some opening themes are over 3 minutes, like Magiranger (which is about 4 minutes & 9 seconds long).
That wasn't quite the point I was making.
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #13
Irish Ranger
I am the night!

No, full versions shouldn't be played. It would eat into episode time that's already pretty limited.
Irish Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #14
calibre
Power Ranger

Full versions are too long. Could play them in the movies though.
I always enjoy the dramas where they always play the full ending songs.
calibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #15
Ryoutarou
Dot

http://youtu.be/LB-Sw8UgLbg

One Piece sooorta kinda does this but not really, they just have much longer openings now that they got rid of ending themes. It actually made the show longer by a grand total of...30 seconds. These longer openings just strike me as odd in general, that time is better devoted to the episode itself.
Ryoutarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #16
Gold Ranger Power
Power Ranger

I think They should only play the full version at the 1st episode
Gold Ranger Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #17
KisforKmo
KisforKomics.com

They could always do what Gokaiger did with the ED and split the different verses of a theme song over multiple episodes. They did something similar near the end of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. They had the theme song start during the cold open scene and then started the actual opening credits when the second verse began. The credits were basically the same, other than a few shots of the actresses singing the theme song. It made the episode have a little more impact than usual.
KisforKmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #18
peaceofpi
I'm a frog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
1 : 30 is a fine amount of time for an opening sequence. Long enough to be artistic, but not overly short.
If you're watching one per week, 1 : 30 openings are cool. If you're marathoning, 0 : 30 ones are much more bearable.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything; just felt like throwing that in there.

edit: Stupid smiley parsing
peaceofpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #19
Aquaslash
Super Mega Time!
eBay

God no. Japanese intros are already pretty long as it is. Playing the full versions would be insane.
Aquaslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #20
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceofpi View Post
If you're watching one per week, 1 : 30 openings are cool. If you're marathoning, 0 : 30 ones are much more bearable.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything; just felt like throwing that in there.

edit: Stupid smiley parsing
On the Post Reply, Edit Post, and Post New Thread screens (but not on Quick Reply), there's a checkbox under the editing window that says "Disable smilies in text". That'll fix it.
Digifiend is offline   Reply With Quote