PDA

View Full Version : Toy yellowing removal

Yee
04-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of yellowing caused by sunlight?

I recently recieved a Won tiger and it has obviously previously been displayed being just in a ray of sunlight as the left shoulder and part of the head have yellowed.

If any one can help that would be great as it would make at least one part of my seriously crap month go right.

Zenoff64
04-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Nothing short of a time machine is going to be able to help you.

Grantsaunt
04-25-2006, 01:20 PM
I've used these techniques with good results for whitening yellowed plastic:

1. For large areas: Mix whitening toothpaste with baking soda. Rub the paste into the plastic. You might need to leave the paste on for few hours if the yellowing is stubborn.

2. For smaller toy parts: Buy those denture tablets and soak the parts in that. It really works! lol The tablets whiten dentures, so why not plastic I figured? It worked quite well.

Phantom6
04-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Yellowing can be reduced if the figure is stored properly.

But it can never be reversed.

I've used these techniques with good results for whitening yellowed plastic:

1. For large areas: Mix whitening toothpaste with baking soda. Rub the paste into the plastic. You might need to leave the paste on for few hours if the yellowing is stubborn.

2. For smaller toy parts: Buy those denture tablets and soak the parts in that. It really works! lol The tablets whiten dentures, so why not plastic I figured? It worked quite well.

Both of those help but they also weaken the plastic.

Remember, Tooth Enamel and Dentures are MUCH stronger than toy plastic.

Yee
04-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Both of those help but they also weaken the plastic.

Remember, Tooth Enamel and Dentures are MUCH stronger than toy plastic.

I'm also pretty sure they would help the granite like effect in the plastic.

Oh well, thanks for your help is was worth a try.

UncleBoris
04-25-2006, 03:29 PM
The yellowing is a product of the chemical composition of the plastic being exposed to outside influences (like sunlight or smoke) and altering over time. You could try toothpaste and baking soda, but it will weaken the plastic, possibly considerably. I would NOT recommend leaving any chemical compound on a toy you care about for "a few hours". Your best bet is probably to simply paint the toy or buy a new one.

Grantsaunt
04-25-2006, 03:30 PM
I've used both techniques on old PR toys and other old items with no ill effects. lol The plastic was not degraded in the slightest.

However, you use any cleaning products on old toys at your own risk. Also, if the entire toy has varying degrees of discoloration, you would have to whiten the entire toy. Otherwise, you will have one very white leg while the rest of the toy retains the aged cast.

Talk to a local antiques restorer or toy "hospital" in your area. They can also give you ideas/products for restoring old toys.

SPD SCARLET
04-26-2006, 08:00 AM
I have a really badly yellowed Titanus (mainly the back of the neck) I only intend to re-paint after reading this as I do not want to ruin my ultrazord.
And on the subject of re-painting I am doing a custom colour Shogun Zord set, Pink-White (obvious choice) and Blue-Green are completed at the moment, I have black-purple and yellow-orange in mind. What do you guys think?
Oh and Thanks for the info guys :023:

UncleBoris
04-26-2006, 09:59 AM
I have a really badly yellowed Titanus (mainly the back of the neck) I only intend to re-paint after reading this as I do not want to ruin my ultrazord.
And on the subject of re-painting I am doing a custom colour Shogun Zord set, Pink-White (obvious choice) and Blue-Green are completed at the moment, I have black-purple and yellow-orange in mind. What do you guys think?
Oh and Thanks for the info guys :023:

Funny you should mention that... I've been thinking about repainting my Shogun lately as well, just to make it more show accurate.

Yee
04-29-2006, 05:14 AM
Funny you should mention that... I've been thinking about repainting my Shogun lately as well, just to make it more show accurate.

I started painting my pink shogun zord white a while back, it was my first attemp at a custom. I magnage to bodge it and then exams got in the way so it sort a hybrid XD.

That reminds me, need to finish my pink ninja storm ranger....if I can find it in my tip of a room (damn moving back from uni!)

The toothpaste etc. method, does it just bleach the plastic? If it does I'm just gonna sell the tiger on on save up to get another as I have scourered where I live and the have nothing like the effect in the plastic.

Grantsaunt
04-29-2006, 08:00 AM
^If you decide to buy another Wontiger, I have one I could sell you. It's MIB. I just bought it from JayLay, but my nephew doesn't want it now. lol

I used the toothpaste method on an old Falconzord and it worked well. Nothing is guaranteed when cleaning up old toys, though. It really depends on how deep the yellowing is in the plastic. If it's too deep, nothing will remove it.