PDA

View Full Version : OT: Biggest movie disappointments?

Pages : [1] 2

TheMunDial
April 15th, 2005, 12:03 PM
What film(s) have left you downtrodden, crestfallen, and downright woebegone, in spite of your giddy anticipation?

In other words, what movie did you perceive to be crap when you felt that it would've totally kicked ass?

The only one that comes to mind for me is Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace. After watching it opening day, I just felt empty. Where was that sparkle of magic that I had felt in my gut when I saw the original Trilogy? I partly blame my having read the novelization prior to watching the movie, and thus spoiling it, but it was never the same between me and Sraw Rats. Never again.

So what movies have left you with a rancid aftertaste and a nausea akin to that of frog in a blender?

#1 White Ranger
April 15th, 2005, 12:07 PM
The Avengers. That movie sucked. It was a nightmare

I rented the DVD just to see if it had deleted scenes, so I could watch them to try and make sense of the film.

Katalia Mieri
April 15th, 2005, 12:14 PM
The Avengers. That movie sucked. It was a nightmare

I rented the DVD just to see if it had deleted scenes, so I could watch them to try and make sense of the film.
Same here.
Also, the newer version of Godzilla just did not have the same cheesy vibe to it that the old ones had. God, I really liked that vibe.

CoN
April 15th, 2005, 12:20 PM
What film(s) have left you downtrodden, crestfallen, and downright woebegone, in spite of your giddy anticipation?

In other words, what movie did you perceive to be crap when you felt that it would've totally kicked ass?

The only one that comes to mind for me is Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace. After watching it opening day, I just felt empty. Where was that sparkle of magic that I had felt in my gut when I saw the original Trilogy? I partly blame my having read the novelization prior to watching the movie, and thus spoiling it, but it was never the same between me and Sraw Rats. Never again.

So what movies have left you with a rancid aftertaste and a nausea akin to that of frog in a blender?

I enjoyed Phantom Menace, but I must admit I've never read the novels. Are the novels titled the same as the movies? I mean is the novel of Episode I titled "Phantom Menace"?

J-Ranger
April 15th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Matrix Revolutions
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
2 Fast 2 Furious
Spider-man (to a very very small extent)
Elektra
Blade 2 (small extent)
Blade 3 (big time disappointment)
Batman & Robin
The Punisher
Kung Fu Hustle (Still funny, but I saw it with high expectations)
Volcano High (Big disappointment)
Ong-Bak (Action was cool, but meh)

There's a lot more but I can't think of them now

Skeleton Warrior
April 15th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Alien Vs. Predator without a doubt. As a Alien-fan, I thought this movie might bring back the good old charm that the first two Alien movies had, but instead it was just another Political-Currect-CGI-Matrix-Look-Alike-Movie.

Then again, many people liked it, and I respect that, but I hate it.

Scitek
April 15th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Alien Vs. Predator without a doubt. As a Alien-fan, I thought this movie might bring back the good old charm that the first two Alien movies had, but instead it was just another Political-Currect-CGI-Matrix-Look-Alike-Movie.

Then again, many people liked it, and I respect that, but I hate it.

There's one, another would be Van Helsing. I was really wanting to like that pile of shit for a while. Another would be Alone in the Dark. Terrible as it was, I was hoping for it to outdo the shittiness of House of the Dead and FearDotCom. What a let-down...

DragoPower
April 15th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Matrix Revolutions
Alien vs. Predator (wasn't 100% shitty, but still many plot points and scenes that just made me wanna slap Paul Anderson)
Blade Trinity

Wes Janson
April 15th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Star Wars: Episode I.

Matrix 2 and 3.

Batman Returns.

Charlie's Angels 2.

Titanic.

Carlito
April 15th, 2005, 01:05 PM
how can lord of the rings disapoint u? the films was awesome and rotk is my fave film ever

Fenix84
April 15th, 2005, 01:10 PM
I enjoyed Phantom Menace, but I must admit I've never read the novels. Are the novels titled the same as the movies? I mean is the novel of Episode I titled "Phantom Menace"?

Yes.

Dr. Who 07
April 15th, 2005, 01:17 PM
why did people not like
van helsing??
or blade trinity for that matter??

sure they weren't oscar worthy but were you expecting it to be???
i wasn't
i was excpeting van helsing to be an action movies with so much CGI it would;'ve exploded with a 1 or 2 scenes of actual acting & that's what i got
same with blade

Dragonwolf Ranger
April 15th, 2005, 01:23 PM

I don't look at novelizations of movies, (movies based on books don't count). They tend to have things that wasn't in the movie often. For example the novelization of X2, doesn't have Jean Grey's sacrifice in it. Also the novelization of the first TMNT movie includes the part of the original comic origin with Splinter's master's rivalry with Shreddar's brother. The movie had it with Shreddar himself.

DragoPower
April 15th, 2005, 01:28 PM
why did people not like
van helsing??

i wasn't
i was excpeting van helsing to be an action movies with so much CGI it would;'ve exploded with a 1 or 2 scenes of actual acting & that's what i got
same with blade

No one said they were expecting Oscar material from these movies....but we still expect a decent, entertaining movie. IMO, Blade Trinity failed to do so. It just really lacked the elements of the first two Blades and Ryan Reynolds (as much as like him as an actor) was just way too comical for the role of Hannibal King.

Van Helsing was 50-50 in my books. Not too bad, fairly entertaining....but not something I'd go out of my way to see again

Dr. Who 07
April 15th, 2005, 01:35 PM
the oscar thing was off handed
i didn't mean actual oscar winning
but that they set the bar too high
if they wer going in expecting LOTR & Spider man CGI, action, drama yes
your gonna want your money back
but if you just wanna get away from reality for a couple of hours then you shouldn't be too disappointed

Commax
April 15th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Return of the King was a big letdown. Then I got super pissed when it won all of those Oscars. ROTK wasn't nearly as good as Two Towers or Fellowship of the Ring.

EricTheDragon
April 15th, 2005, 02:17 PM
In Good Company. Very un-climactic.

<_<

What?

Ray-Z
April 15th, 2005, 02:25 PM
In Good Company. Very un-climactic.

<_<

What?

Well I'm glad someone here doesn't only watch action movies.

EricTheDragon
April 15th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Well I'm glad someone here doesn't only watch action movies.

I like comedy movies more. Action movies later. :D

White Ranger 03
April 15th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Return of the King was a big letdown. Then I got super pissed when it won all of those Oscars. ROTK wasn't nearly as good as Two Towers or Fellowship of the Ring.
I had never read any of the books before seeing "Fellowship," "Two Towers," or "Return of the King," but as movies, I thought they were great. As far as appealing to hardcore fans of the story and people who didn't know what to expect, I thought they did an awesome job.

But the biggest letdown of a movie for me? "Street Fighter." Damn it.

Ray-Z
April 15th, 2005, 02:29 PM
My biggest movie dissapointment was My Virtual Plaything with Tera Patrick. I don't know, it just didn't do it for me.

Crazy Davey
April 15th, 2005, 02:29 PM

ya, ok buddy. Keep telling yourself that.

Also, for some talking about Star Wars Episode 1. Episode 1 & 2 must be the most underrated movies ever in movie history... Well maybe just Episode 1

As for the question, the biggest disappointment for me was Batman & Robin. The most stupidest/crappiest movie in movie history.

Tommy
April 15th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Star Wars: Episode I.

Matrix 2 and 3.

Batman Returns.

Charlie's Angels 2.

Titanic.

:o Batman Returns!? But... but... Christopher Walken. Need I say more?

Tommy
April 15th, 2005, 02:36 PM
ya, ok buddy. Keep telling yourself that.

Also, for some talking about Star Wars Episode 1. Episode 1 & 2 must be the most underrated movies ever in movie history... Well maybe just Episode 1

As for the question, the biggest disappointment for me was Batman & Robin. The most stupidest/crappiest movie in movie history.

To be disapointed you'd have to have expectations in the first place. Did you EVER think Batman & Robin would be any good? I knew from the first commercial it would be crap.

Crazy Davey
April 15th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Titanic.

I don't know what you were expecting, but any movie with Leonardo DiCrapio is gonna suck no matter what.

Crazy Davey
April 15th, 2005, 02:38 PM
To be disapointed you'd have to have expectations in the first place. Did you EVER think Batman & Robin would be any good? I knew from the first commercial it would be crap.

I thought it was going to be good... I'm ashamed :(

But hearing Danny Elfman's score during the trailer, I thought it might be good. I was a stupid young kid!!!

RedSavageWarrior
April 15th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I don't know what you were expecting, but any movie with Leonardo DiCrapio is gonna suck no matter what.

Maybe he was expecting it not to sink?

zeogo
April 15th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Charlies Angels 2 (huge)
Spiderman
The Avengers

Tommy
why did people not like
van helsing??

i wasn't
same with blade

I was never into Van Helsing. The trailers I saw just didn't do anything for me. I rented it just for shits, ok mostly for Kate Beckensale.... but I have to say I really enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I was expecting it to be crap, but I liked it. Sure there was WAY too much CG, but I knew that going in.

deacon shields

except for, oh i dont know, Romeo + Juliet, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, Catch me if you Can...yeah, all of those sucked it up big time

ass

Crazy Davey
April 15th, 2005, 02:41 PM
except for, oh i dont know, Romeo + Juliet, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, Catch me if you Can...yeah, all of those sucked it up big time

Ya, they did suck. Happy to see you can admit that :023:

Mole
April 15th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Collateral
Garfield
American Wedding

Tommy
April 15th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Elektra really was a HUGE disappointment. I don't actually go to the movies often because I wind up getting in a fight everytime I go, but I actually was enticed enough to go see that one, and WOW what a fuckin waste of $10.

PhantomRanger
April 15th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Rocky V

Poweranimals
April 15th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Elektra really was a HUGE disappointment. I don't actually go to the movies often because I wind up getting in a fight everytime I go, but I actually was enticed enough to go see that one, and WOW what a fuckin waste of $10.
I can't see how anyone could've been disappointed by a movie, which didn't show much promise anyway. For a character that wasn't worth having her own movie in the first place, I thought it was decent. Sure, she was nothing like she was in Daredevil, but would that have been interesting?

This movie wasn't by any means spectacular, but it was a decent show. That's probably one of the reasons why I was one of the few people to enjoy the prequel to Dumb and Dumber, because anyone who actually expected the movie to compare to the original was dumber than premise.

Poweranimals
April 15th, 2005, 03:23 PM
I'm gonna have to say that Jurassic Park 3 takes the cake. There's really no excuse for this one. There was no plot whatsoever. All they did was go back to the island, get chased around by dinosaurs again, and then it was over. There was nothing new or groundbreaking. It was all action.

Even the commercials had them mention something about the dinosaurs having enhanced dna, which was never even in the movie. I was so disappointed with that one.

Armageddon was another disappointment. Everyone raved how great it was, but it paled in comparison to Deep Impact. If you want to see a great disaster movie, the Core is awesome. Edge of Tomorrow was pretty decent as well.

TheMunDial
April 15th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I like Leo DiCaprio.

He's been in Titanic, Catch Me If You Can, and Gangs of New York. I wanna see The Aviator as soon as it comes out on PPV.

I like the Phantom Menace, I just thought, however, that it would be...different. Still, Attack of the Clones > Phantom Menace.

Am I the only one who wasn't disappointed by the Matrix sequels? Granted, I was barely a casual fan of the first, and I guess that I didn't care whether or not it lived up to it. I just took it for what it was: Matrix SEQUELS.

Tommy
April 15th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I can't see how anyone could've been disappointed by a movie, which didn't show much promise anyway. For a character that wasn't worth having her own movie in the first place, I thought it was decent. Sure, she was nothing like she was in Daredevil, but would that have been interesting?

This movie wasn't by any means spectacular, but it was a decent show. That's probably one of the reasons why I was one of the few people to enjoy the prequel to Dumb and Dumber, because anyone who actually expected the movie to compare to the original was dumber than premise.

I really loved Daredevil, so I was really looking forward to it. Daredevil was kept grounded in the real world though, while Elektra seems as if it couldn't possibly take place in the same universe. It was too supernatural, too weird. All those people with all their crazy powers, and didn't they go up in flames when they died? No mention of Daredevil, no Affleck cameo despite him saying he'd have done it, I just thought it was very poorly done, and the box offices for it show I'm not the only one.

Poweranimals
April 15th, 2005, 03:57 PM
I loved Daredevil too, but I never really expected much out of Elektra. She just didn't seem like a character worth making a movie about.

Tommy
April 15th, 2005, 04:01 PM
I like Leo DiCaprio.

He's been in Titanic, Catch Me If You Can, and Gangs of New York. I wanna see The Aviator as soon as it comes out on PPV.

I like the Phantom Menace, I just thought, however, that it would be...different. Still, Attack of the Clones > Phantom Menace.

Am I the only one who wasn't disappointed by the Matrix sequels? Granted, I was barely a casual fan of the first, and I guess that I didn't care whether or not it lived up to it. I just took it for what it was: Matrix SEQUELS.

The Matrix Reloaded was good in my opinion, but Revolutions SUCKED the big one. Reloaded had AMAZING battles though, aside from the brief bit of silly CGI in the Neo vs. Smith's fight, and I can watch it again and again for the awesome fights. Revolutions didn't have any awesome kung fu battles. The final Neo vs. Smith fight was overly CG'ed and lame. It felt like I was watching a live action Dragonball Z, not a Matrix movie. The ending blew, it didn't really resolve anything. It was just a very poor way to end the franchise.

In terms of Star Wars Episode I, it was boring. I didn't give a crap about anything that was going on in that movie. The movie has ONE saving grace, and that is Darth Maul. Take away Maul and I'd never watch the movie again.

Tommy
April 15th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I loved Daredevil too, but I never really expected much out of Elektra. She just didn't seem like a character worth making a movie about.

I agree with that, but I guess I was just taking it as an "As close as we're gonna get to a Daredevil 2". Does anyone have the DVD? I heard a scene with Affleck WAS filmed, but cut out of the final version.

The Avenging Angel
April 15th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Batman forever
Batman and Robin
Godzilla

Deltron
April 15th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Hmm...I guess I have low expectations, cause most movies I've seen weren't that disappointing...Some were kinda "ehhh..." but I'd actually go see'em again, given the chance. Lol.

Tommy
April 15th, 2005, 04:14 PM
Batman forever
Batman and Robin
Godzilla

A lot of people give Batman Forever shit, and while it was a change from the Burton Bat flicks, I really enjoyed it. Val Kilmer is in my opinion much better in the role than Keaton. Keaton may have played Batman well, but he just wasn't Bruce Wayne. I think it's got the best cast of the Bat flicks, as every actor seems right for their role, both looks wise and acting ability. Burton is notorious for casting people that go against what they should look like. Keaton I'm sure was not anyone's idea of Bruce Wayne. Nicholson isn't the tall skinny Joker from the comics. Commissioner Gordon isn't even close, and need I mention Harvey Dent? Also keeping in mind if he had it his way Marlon Wayans would have been Robin, and Nicholas Cage would have been Superman.

shellfox
April 15th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Van Helsing and JP3 were passable popcorn movies in my book. Not great by any means, but they had a creatain charm to them and they didn't seem to take themselves to seriously to begin with.

Blade Trinity on the other hand, first off they Kill Whistler in the first 20 minutes- BASTARDS. He was my favorite part of the first 2 movies. The fighting just wasn't there, and HHH seemed to be forced on us. But the munats vampire dogs were pretty cool. I will rent the DVD just to see out take where the arrow shots right into the camera lense though

Hulk. Words don't really exist to sya how much I hated this movie. If nothing else the fatct that all the 'good' fight scenes were done in a pithch black moonless night

Men In Black- I don't know why, but when I walked out, I was just disapponted. I've sence grown to love it, but something about it the first time out just didn't work for me

Both Tomb Raider Movies- I had a faient hopw they wouldn't suck, boy was I wrong

Catwoman- we knew the movie would be bad thats a given. what I disapponted in is, even after this damn thing people still think she should be allowed to reprise her role as Storm in teh X-Man movie

And I'm going to make a prediction
Bad News Bears- I'm sorry it worked in conception, it worked when they took the recipe and spplided it to other sports, I just don't think it'll work being remade. Even with Billy Bob Thorton (sp?) as the coatch that takes them to Hooters.

Wes Janson
April 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Catch Me if You Can and The Aviator were pretty good. I just thought that Titanic was incredibly overrated. And Celine Dion . . . oh my god, why did those evil French-Canadians unleash that beast upon us...? *shakes fist angrily*

Oh yeah. And while I'm at it, I'll throw Dare Devil into the mix.

Multiple Man
April 15th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I had low expectations for "Blade Trinity" going into it- all I wanted to see was something with a cheesy story and insane action, and I didn't even get that.

The action was garbage- I mean, bad. David Goyer wrote the worst script out of the three films and whoever thought it'd be a good idea for him to direct the third film should be shot-up with EDTA so his body expands until he bursts into a bloody mess.

That really annoyed me...

deacon shields
April 15th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Ya, they did suck. Happy to see you can admit that :023:

origionalrangerfan
April 15th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
i actually thought it would be like one of the games with magic and monsters, not alien ghosts who are pissed off because we were still alive.

SentaiFan25
April 15th, 2005, 09:58 PM
"The Tuxedo" was one of the WORST movies in my book. Jackie Chan could do a LOT BETTER than THAT!