PDA

View Full Version : Worst Sixth/Extra Ranger/Hero

Pages : [1] 2

The_Dark_Specter
February 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Seeing the worst red ranger thread inspired me to make this, vote for who you thought was the worst sixth or extra ranger(s). Now in some cases it may just be how pointless they became after there introduction, but we'll let the results talk.

I'm going to say that Sam was probably the worst for me, a 'light' for how many episodes, so no personality, and don't really think he bought much to the team or the overall season.

BLANKS
February 23rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
Tommy. all his ranger colors. I hate the character because everyone else loves em.

Go-OnGold83
February 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
yeah, i would vote for sam to, no morphing sequence, in the suit most of the time, which was stupid, wasnt much writing around him like dekaranger because of the in suit crap. it was just pointless.

bobrob2004
February 23rd, 2012, 04:48 PM
This is an easy one - Sam. No personality, a ball of light, and wasn't even credited in the opening credits. He was merely used as an extra weapon instead of a ranger who was involved in plans.

rocky505
February 23rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Tyzonn was horrible and Disney were too poor to get omega an actor for half the season.

Spoony Spoonerson
February 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
Tyzonn was horrible and Disney were too poor to get omega an actor for half the season.

Too poor? Disney? The same Disney that bought fucking MARVEL because they felt they weren't hitting the young boy market, so they just went out and bought MARVEL? If Disney wanted an actor, they could get one. Or ten. But it's about being lazy, they thought they could be cheap and get away with it.

Merlin
February 23rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Daggeron.

John's not a bad actor, but Daggeron's role was pretty bland to begin with. Udonna had been their mentor for months, and then in sweeps Daggeron who takes over her duties without a peep from her. On the flimsy basis that he was Leanbow's apprentice and so has strong magic, Udonna takes a back seat. I hated that.

I wanted MF to make something original with having both Udonna and Daggeron, two mentors, on screen as Magiranger didn't take the opportunity. But that didn't happen. They even went so far as to remove Daggeron completely from Dark Wish, one of the most clever and original stories of the season.

I can't remember a single thing memorable about his character. He promised to make Chip a "knight," and that never happened, unless it was a metaphor. He taught Nick the Bound Battle, but in the end he used it, not Nick, to finish Imperious. He played no large part in the climax or ending except to die per the footage.

I've always thought that they put Daggeron in MF only for whatever the Magi footage demanded of him. He was so lifeless and a waste of an opportunity. They got a lot more out of Jenji than him. He didn't have to be there, and as a mentor Udonna has a much stronger presence than him.

McAster
February 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
Remember that the Worst Red Ranger thread is still open because it has some good sharing of thoughts and and opinions as well as discussion. I hope the same will be true for this.

So as Merlin just demonstrated, do explain.

Aquaslash
February 23rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
Granted, I haven't seen every season, but I don't like what I've seen of Sam. I'm not sure why they waited until the end of the season to show off his human form, but it just seems like a cop out.

EDIT: Dammit Mayor, I can't stop watching your avatar! Hammertime indeed.

GUY W/ 1000 NAMES
February 23rd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Gem & Gemma hands down, they suck.
In my book, there are 3 requirements to be the 6th Ranger
1. Skills: fighting just as good as, if not BETTER than Red
ex: Tommy(tied w/ Jason in the tournament and beat down Putties single-handely) ;Mike C.(captain of Terra Venture's defense forces, pulled out Red Quasar Saber); Ryan(wielded Titanium Morpher when Carter couldn't); Eric(went to Karate school w/ Wes, bragged on equal/superior skill); Cam('...grew up in Ninja school, do the math')

2. Relationship: the dumb luck of being the mentor's son, a Rangers big brother or Red's best friend
(see Tommy/Burai, Jason, Mike C./Hyuuga, Zhane, Ryan, Cam, Antonio; David Trueheat woulda qualified too)

3. Tenure: fighting the villians long before the team came together
(see Merrick, Daggeron, and Tyzonne)

Gem and Gemma didn't do none of these and acted like stupid kids, ergo they suck. Woulda gladly accepted Marcus & K as Gold n Silver

Samurai Ranger
February 23rd, 2012, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=GUY W/ 1000 NAMES;4002040]Gem & Gemma hands down, they suck.
In my book, there are 3 requirements to be the 6th Ranger
1. Skills: fighting just as good as, if not BETTER than Red
ex: Tommy(tied w/ Jason in the tournament and beat down Putties single-handely) ;Mike C.(captain of Terra Venture's defense forces, pulled out Red Quasar Saber); Ryan(wielded Titanium Morpher when Carter couldn't); Eric(went to Karate school w/ Wes, bragged on equal/superior skill); Cam('...grew up in Ninja school, do the math')

2. Relationship: the dumb luck of being the mentor's son, a Rangers big brother or Red's best friend
(see Tommy/Burai, Jason, Mike C./Hyuuga, Zhane, Ryan, Cam, Antonio; David Trueheat woulda qualified too)

3. Tenure: fighting the villians long before the team came together
(see Merrick, Daggeron, and Tyzonne)

Gem and Gemma didn't do none of these and acted like stupid kids, ergo they suck. Woulda gladly accepted Marcus & K as Gold n Silver[/QUOTE

...Except they did ALL of the above.

1. If I remember correctly, Gem got an award and Scott didn't? Gem and Gemma also saved the main team's asses.

2. They were the first/best friends of the mentor, Dr. K?

3. ...They were the first in the series to be activated.

I liked Gem and Gemma, taking away from the usual brooding Extras (and since we already got it for Dillon, it would of been completely out of place). Sam and Antonio are easily my least favorites.

McAster
February 23rd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Gem and Gemma do match those requirements.

They had the skills to fight against numerous robots and grunts, build numerous explosives, repair their own machines, and survive in an openly hostile environment for quite some time without a support from a standing military or home base.

They had a relationship with Dr. K, the mentor. They were her only companions and obviously meant a huge deal to her. Enough to break through numerous psychological defences she had created for herself. They made her smile, they made her happy, they were her family.

They had been fighting Venjix as Gold and Silver before Red, Blue, Yellow had formed. We don't know for sure if they were fighting as Rangers, but we know they were committing guerilla warfare for quite sometime before rejoining with Dr. K.

I can understand not liking them, and they were off and suffered numerous psychological trauma from their time at Alphabet Soup, but they did their jobs quite well and were no slouches in fighting Venjix's forces.

That said, there is argument for them being the worst Six Rangers as they were quite willing to kill numerous human slaves and could not understand why that was a problem.

[]V[]etal []_ion
February 23rd, 2012, 05:58 PM
My recollection of past PR is shaky at best, but I have to say that there are a few contenders for this title.

Sam/SPD Omega, purely because his character was not developed; there was no way the audience could connect with him. He was just there, extra fodder and a deus ex machina when required. Shadow Ranger made the better contribution as an Extra Ranger.

Dominic the Rhino Ranger. He was introduced quite late into the series and I felt he didn't contribute much to the overall dynamic of the team. He was just there. Granted, I didn't watch the whole of Jungle Fury as I just hated how lame it was in comparison to Gekiranger (and by extension, Ken was a better, more flamboyant character). I personally didn't find him interesting, couldn't connect with him.

vikim
February 23rd, 2012, 06:06 PM
Sam, because it was really a waste of time to have a ranger and have no idea who he really is and have no development at all.

Red Ranger Sam
February 23rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
Absolutely Sam. He had no real character, and was just a waste of space. It's sad, but in Power Rangers, the best representation for the Sams of the world is Spike's Panda.

Gspar91
February 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM
I would go with Sam like it was said before he was a ball of light that was just kinda there he did okay in his first fight but later on he wasn't so special and once the rangers got Swat mode he pretty much became obsolete!

I would also put The Spirit Rangers simply because I think they really weren't needed in the season and their costumes looked really stupid.

Uncle Haim Saban
February 23rd, 2012, 07:31 PM
Cam, not because he wasn't a good character. I just hated the actor and how he performed the part

BLANKS
February 23rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
Hmm... they may as well have made Omega a robot from the future.

McAster
February 23rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
With the bigotry toward mechanical beings like S.O.P.H.I.E., that would have been far more worthwhile if they kept it going, or at least for world building and acceptance for those that think about such things.

BLANKS
February 23rd, 2012, 07:45 PM
Coulda worked though. That would have showed em how far robots have gone within 20 years of their time frame.

Godzilla Ranger NYC
February 23rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Gem and Gemma should've been one option..........

Thermite Kitten
February 23rd, 2012, 08:16 PM
They're not a single Ranger. I disliked Gemma more than Gem because I didn't like Gemma's development.

PedroMcNamara
February 23rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Hmm...trying to think of a good answer on this because I outright hate everything about Mystic Force, Operation Overdrive and Samurai....but even with those shows they had real ppl as rangers. Everything about Sam was just bad. A ball of light instead of an actor no thank you.

Primo Haim Saban
February 23rd, 2012, 08:54 PM
As far as mere characterization, Tyzonn by a mile. After being clearly introduced as an emotionally wounded soldier, he randomly turns into a child as the drop of a hat in episodes like "Just Like Me" (suddenly copying everything Will does) and "One Fine Day" (suddenly asking Rose random pointless questions). And on the whole, even his wounded warrior routine lost a lot of steam as the series progressed. Thus, my vote.

As far as value to the overall story is concerned, that title easily goes to Dominic. The character was written just fine, but he wasn't truly necessary to the plot. After attaining the Rhino Steel Zord, his meaning often reached no further than combining his Rhino Morpher with someone else's Claw Booster. And in terms of Ranger focus, he only received one episode which was completely about him. Since I liked the guy, I'd have enjoyed seeing a lot more done on his behalf.

And in terms of rapidly declining importance to the plot, Daggeron, for all the reasons Merlin's already mentioned.

Uncle Haim Saban
February 23rd, 2012, 09:08 PM
For me the best ones were pre disney they just seemed to have more character

ShadowJoker
February 23rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
I believe the absolute worst sixth/extra ranger has to be Sam hands down, no questions, no review necessary, without a doubt, no need to think twice, etc, etc. The only great thing about was the concept: a little kid the rangers help in the past, decides to become

Reasons I hate Sam don't soley pertain to him being stuck in a suit, it's more that the writers gave up on him as a character. Sam was nothing more than a sentai stand-in and the writers didn't even find creative was to intergate him into this story. He just either flew around glittering or standing out around saying throw away lines like "Now the future is really gonna change." Shut up.

The first thing I didn't like about Sam was him being stuck in a suit with a lousy reason. Lame. Secondly, the writers didn't intergrate any part of his past into his 'character'. Sure they showed past footage of kid Sam's proclamation he would be a ranger but why didn't Sam show some love to Z? After all, it was Z who helped him and therego brought him to SPD to become the man/tool that he was. Very bad and lazy the writers didn't even take advantage of the angle available. But then again these are the same writers that made Z and Jack's supposedly close-knit relationship vanish the moment they joined SPD.

Lastly, as I said, the writers didn't even try. It's like they had the mindset: "Well he doesn't have an actor so why bother trying to flesh him out right?" and the process opted to make him a flying ball of light...yeah so much more interesting. They could have still given him and personality but have some fun with his situation. Imagine a short comedic moment with Sam trying to go outside with a trench coat and hat or just situation events that would make light of his inability to unmorph.

Bottomline: Sam=Writers give up.

Honorable Mentions:
Cam-It's not so much that Cam was bad, I wish he didn't become a ranger. I loved how he was the embodiment of "you don't have to be a ranger to be useful". Even though he had ranger envy, he still proved to be a vital asset of the team, and he even said the quote above. By him becoming the Green Samurai Ranger, he totally contradicts that value. He could have been inspiration to kids who feel if they're not part of a certain group or have a certain title within a group, they're useless. Now his motto should be "yeah, just join the crowd."

Trent-I think Trent was a wasted opportunity. Instead of having a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde storyline (as well as father/son going through the same thing) they opted to make it a clone show. He could have been the evil ranger who took over Mesogog and they could have made him good towards the end. Wasted potential, and we got stuck with the clone show.

PedroMcNamara
February 23rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah the clone deal really screwed things up. Did disney just not want them fighting another ranger as long as he would have been had they not done the clone plot?

ShadowJoker
February 23rd, 2012, 10:54 PM
I guess Disney didn't like the idea of an all evil ranger for a long period of time. But it was such a great premise, and it's sad because there was a lot of good footage of the rangers fighting the White Dino Ranger yet it was the clone. I understand if they didn't want Trent to be naturally evil but at least have storyline where the White Dino Morpher has mind of its own and uses Trent as its host.

Arectaris Returned
February 23rd, 2012, 10:57 PM
Sam, Tyzonn, all those rangers from MF and the Spirit Rangers.

Sam because I actually forgot about him and had to look him up to remember.
Tyzonn because he was just all around annoying.
MF because I just generally dislike the season and could barely tolerate the "core" group.
And the spirit rangers for being tacked on and thoroughly useless outside of the few episode(s) they appeared in.

sylarking
February 23rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
Sam, Tyzonn, all those rangers from MF and the Spirit Rangers.

Sam because I actually forgot about him and had to look him up to remember.
Tyzonn because he was just all around annoying.
MF because I just generally dislike the season and could barely tolerate the "core" group.
And the spirit rangers for being tacked on and thoroughly useless outside of the few episode(s) they appeared in.

The thread is about sixth rangers not about core rangers.

beast575
February 23rd, 2012, 11:06 PM
Trey--for reasons I could never quite put a finger on, he always drove me nuts. His whole character in Zeo was just...off, to me.

GokaiGold
February 24th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Sam by far. A two part build up to his character and they put him in just a suit with zero character and a ball of light. What a joke.

In second I put Trent because he was so boring after he stopped being evil. There were so many ways to tackle his character and then they put a clone story in it.

Jet_Grey
February 24th, 2012, 01:02 AM
How much of a ranger is Blue Centurion?

Primo Haim Saban
February 24th, 2012, 01:04 AM
how much of a ranger is blue centurion?
0.00%.

Internutt
February 24th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I absolutely hated Tyzonn. I had hopes that the sixth Ranger would make Operation Overdrive somewhat watchable. However, his dark past was forgotten so quickly that I had completely forgotten about it up until the 'surprise' reveal that his girlfriend was still alive.

Then again, this is most likely just my hate of Operation Overdrive in general seeping through.

Peter
February 24th, 2012, 01:44 AM
I went with Sam and Daggeron.

Most sixths bring something unique and interesting to the table. Even Tommy. I never really liked the character, but as a sixth, he fit.

Sam might as well have not been there. Yeah, that was the fault of executive meddling, but the point still stands.

And Daggeron. He was just ... annoying. And I liked MF.

I don't really count the Blue Centurion as a Ranger, although I understand why people thought he was weak. Also, Tyzonne? Eh, I didn't mind him (at least, I disliked him less than the two I picked).

POTS251
February 24th, 2012, 02:43 AM
i believe the absolute worst sixth/extra ranger has to be sam hands down, no questions, no review necessary, without a doubt, no need to think twice, etc, etc. The only great thing about was the concept: A little kid the rangers help in the past, decides to become

reasons i hate sam don't soley pertain to him being stuck in a suit, it's more that the writers gave up on him as a character. Sam was nothing more than a sentai stand-in and the writers didn't even find creative was to intergate him into this story. He just either flew around glittering or standing out around saying throw away lines like "now the future is really gonna change." shut up.

The first thing i didn't like about sam was him being stuck in a suit with a lousy reason. Lame. Secondly, the writers didn't intergrate any part of his past into his 'character'. Sure they showed past footage of kid sam's proclamation he would be a ranger but why didn't sam show some love to z? After all, it was z who helped him and therego brought him to spd to become the man/tool that he was. Very bad and lazy the writers didn't even take advantage of the angle available. But then again these are the same writers that made z and jack's supposedly close-knit relationship vanish the moment they joined spd.

Lastly, as i said, the writers didn't even try. It's like they had the mindset: "well he doesn't have an actor so why bother trying to flesh him out right?" and the process opted to make him a flying ball of light...yeah so much more interesting. They could have still given him and personality but have some fun with his situation. Imagine a short comedic moment with sam trying to go outside with a trench coat and hat or just situation events that would make light of his inability to unmorph.

Bottomline: Sam=writers give up.

honorable mentions:
cam-it's not so much that cam was bad, i wish he didn't become a ranger. I loved how he was the embodiment of "you don't have to be a ranger to be useful". Even though he had ranger envy, he still proved to be a vital asset of the team, and he even said the quote above. By him becoming the green samurai ranger, he totally contradicts that value. He could have been inspiration to kids who feel if they're not part of a certain group or have a certain title within a group, they're useless. Now his motto should be "yeah, just join the crowd."

trent-i think trent was a wasted opportunity. Instead of having a dr. Jekyll and mr. Hyde storyline (as well as father/son going through the same thing) they opted to make it a clone show. He could have been the evil ranger who took over mesogog and they could have made him good towards the end. Wasted potential, and we got stuck with the clone show.

^^^ this

POTS251
February 24th, 2012, 02:45 AM
if Tommy is counted twice, then why isnt both Mike and the Magna Defender on this list?

Ninjaizer
February 24th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Why isn't Ninjor on the list?
Probably because you can't hate a big blue ninja that flies on a cloud. :023:

[]V[]etal []_ion
February 24th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Or that fact that he wasn't a 'Ranger'...

Spoony Spoonerson
February 24th, 2012, 07:52 AM
V[]etal []_ion;4002649']Or that fact that he wasn't a 'Ranger'...

Beat me to it.

Like Auric The Conquerer, he was just an ally. Speaking of which, why is Blue Centurion on this list?

tony4greenranger
February 24th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Obviously, I'm in the vast majority here, but I do have to say that Sam was the worst sixth ranger. Exclusively because he wasn't a ranger. He was a weapon of mass distraction. He would pop in, and, wouldn't you know it, the Rangers are on the verge of victory. It was repetitive (as sixth rangers typically are) but for an all the worse reason. He wasn't a person. He was a sentient ball of light. At the point where that made sense, I kinda tuned him out, he didn't seem like the all-important sixth Ranger. That would've been Cruger. End of story.

[]V[]etal []_ion
February 24th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Beat me to it.

Like Auric The Conquerer, he was just an ally. Speaking of which, why is Blue Centurion on this list?

I'm sure that is a mistake. The guy's still getting votes though

zedd_heart_rita
February 24th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I would have voted for Ninjor (technically he was an extra ranger), he was annoying as Hell ><

the light
February 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hands down the Blue Centurion.

akio
February 24th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Tigerzord Tommy. I get that being a sixth ranger is cool and revitalizing and all, but for him to completely take over the show and make Rocky look completely useless as a Red was just unforgivable to me.

sailoruranus
February 24th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hands down, its got to be Sam. He wasn't even a character, he was a fucking ball of light. That is the stupidest, laziest decision that they could have made. The sixth ranger is supposed to be an awesome addition, not some special effect because they couldn't afford a real actor.

Go-OnGold83
February 24th, 2012, 02:48 PM
i liked trent alot because the storyline around him, he always interacting with the rangers when he wasnt evil as a ranger, the thing about abaranger's character is very dark and for us to adapt that is very graphic, i would have prefered dino thunder's way because it was more exciting and not dark.

chronoxiong
February 24th, 2012, 05:51 PM
The ball of light makes Tetsu look like a legendary Sixth Ranger. That's how I seriously felt when I saw SPD first and then watched Dekaranger. The Blue Centurion gets 2nd vote from me just because I don't remember anything significant that he did.

ShinySephiroth
February 24th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Not gonna vote until I watch all seasons. For me, so far from what I have seen, the one I dislike is Trey, unmorphed. Really shouldve been Ryan Steele. SUPER dissapointment.
I am on Dino Thunder right now. Very much am not looking forward to the seasons that lie ahead...