PDA

View Full Version : [TV] The Soap Opera Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

JeremyShane2324
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
ABC is Canceling to of it's Daytime Soaps One Life To Live & All My Children in favor of a Talk show called the Revolution & a Cooking show The Chew. Like abc needs another talk show, they have the freakin view & like the need a damn cooking show

http://soapcentral.com/soapcentral/news/2011/0414-amc_oltl.php

http://www.soapcentral.com/soapcentral/news/2011/0414-frons.php

All My Children will end in September & One Life to life will end in January of 2012.

the only soap that will be left in General Hospital.

If anyone here is a fan of either show, we got to save them & make the idiots change their minds & boycott ABC.

The only reason why i started to OLTL was because my mom's favorite 70's actor Randolph Mantooth was on & the reason i continuted to watch was because of the hot girls like Jessica & Natalie.

Evil Haim Saban
04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Isn't that kind of like canceling the news?

Poweranimals
04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
I doubt many people here watch soaps. Could be wrong though. I'll gladly join your boycott since I don't watch ABC anymore anyway now that NOF is gone.

johnboy3434
04-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Guiding Light was the single longest-running TV fiction of all time. It ran for 57 years. To put that in perspective, most of the people who saw its premiere are DEAD. They canceled it in 2009. After that, I'll believe they can cancel anything.

Dairanger
04-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Other than watching Castle and supporting OLTL alum Nathan Fillion (as well as GH alum Seamus Dever), I'm in.

Knight Rider
04-15-2011, 01:54 PM
I loved AMC but OLTL wa lame as hell. I'm gllad it'll be over. Looks like all I'll have is y&r

XtrEEmMaShEEn3k2
04-15-2011, 02:21 PM
And nothing of value was lost.

pinkpower
04-15-2011, 02:28 PM
If anyone here is a fan of either show, we got to save them & make the idiots change their minds & boycott ABC.

It's not going to work, Brian Frons has effectively killed the ABC daytime lineup.

Some fans will almost definitely lobby to get these shows back on the air. Is there any way that will happen?
No. We really spent a lot of time learning from our success with "The View," talking to viewers about what they're looking for and we have tremendous respect for the passion of our serial fans. But we're at a point with these two shows, as much as they've done for the network, and as much as we appreciate them -- their time here has come to an end. And we're going to spend our efforts trying to make a success out of the two new shows, "The Chew" and "The Revolution," which are in genres that, as we talk to viewers, they want more of.

Nyranger
04-15-2011, 02:28 PM
My Aunt and my Mom are devastated over this. lol, for their sake I hope the shows can be saved in time.

Knight Rider
04-15-2011, 02:44 PM
"Time has cometo an end"? Oh please. Let me break out the tissue over that crap. Please. These shows have gotten creatively intetresting.

rogueguy
04-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I stopped watching AMC once Adam Chandler left and OLTL the year before but this still stings. :(

AMC could've been salvaged had they not hired hack writer after hack writer and if someone had fired that visionless, budget wasting idiot Julie Caruthers as executive producer.

Knight Rider
04-15-2011, 02:47 PM
But isn't that Adam's twin brother who just got killed on AMC?

rogueguy
04-15-2011, 03:06 PM
But isn't that Adam's twin brother who just got killed on AMC?

Stuart got killed back in 09(I'm still pissed they made Adam his shooter :shame: ), Adam ended up leaving town a year later with Brooke by his side.

Truncated Power Rangers
04-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Serves them right for Pearl Harbor.

cyrax037
04-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda pissed too. I don't watch AMC, but OLTL I've watched for years. And they do this right after its announced that Rodger Howarth is coming back in May, presumably as "The Real Todd Manning" similar to the Roman/John storyline on Days years ago.

At least GH is safe, for now. Hopefully James Franco will keep on coming back to boost ratings.

Storm Eagle
04-15-2011, 03:55 PM
No, canceling Power Rangers is like canceling the news.

puperazzi
04-15-2011, 04:01 PM
This is horrible! Susan Lucci gotta eat!

DiEnd
04-15-2011, 04:04 PM
the only soap that will be left in General Hospital.

There's always WWE.

nintenfan3424
04-15-2011, 04:08 PM
even tho i don't care 4 soaps. But I have the strangest feeling Susan Lucci will be offered a recurring role on Hot in Cleveland or AMC getting cancelled will be a subplot for an ep

(Victoria Chase played by Wendie Malick is her mortal enemy on the Hot in Cleveland)

ZeoGoldRanger
04-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Hear rumors that another station might pick them up. Better not be CBS after they cancelled the two I really watched only to put something else on...

pinkpower
04-15-2011, 04:11 PM
This is horrible! Susan Lucci gotta eat!

This is why you're great Spy, this right here.

At least GH is safe, for now. Hopefully James Franco will keep on coming back to boost ratings.

Or they could try to steal away Genie Francis from Y&R. Just saying.

There's always WWE.

...That's way too easy.

Gold Ranger
04-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Wait. Did they cancel Days of Our Lives on NBC? Pretty sure that's still on (at the moment at least).

nintenfan3424
04-15-2011, 04:16 PM
CBS cancelled one soap to bring back let's make a deal

maybe ABC might buy the rights to Match Game and Pyramid

*Hopeing*

pinkpower
04-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Wait. Did they cancel Days of Our Lives on NBC? Pretty sure that's still on (at the moment at least).

For the time being, but last I remember reading, that was only renewed for a year. I know it's not doing particularly well in the ratings, so feasibly, it could be next on the chopping block.

Gold Ranger
04-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I watched Days of Our Lives for awhile ... when my mom was really sick. It was entertaining. It's only confusing when, 6 months after you watched the last episode, someone's baby is now 16 and driving, yet the parents are only on their 3rd anniversary together.

Dairanger
04-15-2011, 05:00 PM
CBS cancelled one soap to bring back let's make a deal

maybe ABC might buy the rights to Match Game and Pyramid

*Hopeing*

Two soaps. Guiding Light and As the World Turns. For Wayne Brady and Julie Chen. Blank Stare.

ZeoGoldRanger
04-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Two soaps. Guiding Light and As the World Turns. For Wayne Brady and Julie Chen. Blank Stare.

Yea was a great trade off.

Dairanger
04-15-2011, 05:10 PM
And if we want to go back even further... Passions in 2007 and Port Charles in 2003, not to mention SoapNet which becomes Disney Jr. in Januray of 2012. It's really sad... an art form that has existed in some capacity since 1937 is slowly dying and all we can do is just love and support them.

UltimatePRFan
04-15-2011, 05:19 PM
I watched Days of Our Lives for awhile ... when my mom was really sick. It was entertaining. It's only confusing when, 6 months after you watched the last episode, someone's baby is now 16 and driving, yet the parents are only on their 3rd anniversary together.

LOL, I know, right? I only watch Y&R and B&B on CBS, but I hate when they age the kids like Noah and Abby. First they were 10, then 16, now 22, all in the space of 5 years! Oh well, at least they got Kevin G. Schmidt back to play Noah again (and he's actually the right age now)!

Dairanger
04-15-2011, 05:20 PM
LOL, I know, right? I only watch Y&R and B&B on CBS, but I hate when they age the kids like Noah and Abby. First they were 10, then 16, now 22, all in the space of 5 years! Oh well, at least they got Kevin G. Schmidt back to play Noah again (and he's actually the right age now)!

LOL They better make sure that Kevin G. Schmidt can sing/play the guitar... btw, SPOILER Eden's also on her way back too

UltimatePRFan
04-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Cool man, but which actress is playing her? I could swear I saw one of them on the promo for that new ABC Family series "Switched at Birth" last week.

Xenotome
04-15-2011, 05:27 PM
To those who are boycotting ABC, don't bother. You're not a Nielson house so boycotting doesn't affect their numbers. Just an FYI.

Dairanger
04-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Most likely Vanessa Marano... though there's lots of things flyin around Y&R these days...

UltimatePRFan
04-15-2011, 05:50 PM
I hope so, she and Kevin had great chemistry, lots better than he had with that other girl, she was just too harsh. I am so glad they got him back after "Unnatural History" was cancelled, he was great in that, too, but that other guy was too emo to be Noah.

KCJ506
04-15-2011, 05:53 PM
The real sad thing about this is that the actors themselves didn't even know until shortly before it was announced. I mean Frons even lied to Susan Lucci.

Dairanger
04-15-2011, 05:54 PM
I hope so, she and Kevin had great chemistry, lots better than he had with that other girl, she was just too harsh. I am so glad they got him back after "Unnatural History" was cancelled, he was great in that, too, but that other guy was too emo to be Noah.

He was good in The Squeaquel too... I personally don't like Eden or Jana, so I'm still waiting for a good pairing with him... I don't see it happening unless its a new character...

Dairanger
04-15-2011, 05:55 PM
The real sad thing about this is that the actors themselves didn't even know until shortly before it was announced. I mean Frons even lied to Susan Lucci.

Have you seen the announcement (http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2011/04/15/watch-video-footage-of-brian-frons-cancelling-all-my-children-and-one-life-to-live)?

ForeverRed2010
04-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Awww man. My life is now.... Completely unaffected.

OujaStrike
04-15-2011, 06:15 PM
so pissed off right now

JeremyShane2324
04-15-2011, 06:47 PM
There's always WWE.

No thanks, Wrestling is so fake & Lame.

Hear rumors that another station might pick them up. Better not be CBS after they cancelled the two I really watched only to put something else on...

Their gonna move OLTL To a new network really, let's have them move it to the CW or TNT.

No i'm pretty sure days of our lives is still on.

And if we want to go back even further... Passions in 2007 and Port Charles in 2003, not to mention SoapNet which becomes Disney Jr. in Januray of 2012. It's really sad... an art form that has existed in some capacity since 1937 is slowly dying and all we can do is just love and support them.

Their's always spanish soaps even if i don't understand a word they say

Most likely Vanessa Marano... though there's lots of things flyin around Y&R these days...

Vanessa Marano was the death of Gilmore Girls in Season 6 & 7, she was the reason why Luke & Lorelai spilt up, She's death to shows.

Awww man. My life is now.... Completely unaffected.

Then shut your face.

johnboy3434
04-15-2011, 07:10 PM
No thanks, Wrestling is so fake & Lame.

O_o

Why do you think we watch it? Besides, professional wrestling is essentially an incredibly violent soap opera. Various industry writers have explicitly described it as such.

Izzy
04-15-2011, 07:15 PM
This means nothing to me, I go to WWE and Degrassi for "My Stories"

JeremyShane2324
04-15-2011, 07:40 PM
O_o

Why do you think we watch it? Besides, professional wrestling is essentially an incredibly violent soap opera. Various industry writers have explicitly described it as such.

I'm not into sports, I think anything that's sports related is pointless & Stupid.

This means nothing to me, I go to WWE and Degrassi for "My Stories"

Then why are you here.

pinkpower
04-15-2011, 07:56 PM

They actually didn't know until this:

Have you seen the announcement (http://daytimeconfidential.zap2it.com/2011/04/15/watch-video-footage-of-brian-frons-cancelling-all-my-children-and-one-life-to-live)?

Thanks for linking this btw.

O_o

Why do you think we watch it?

Oh, I could count the ways of why wrestling "fans" watch WWE and the like, but none of which I will into here and now for the sake of insulting your intelligence or mine for that matter and lumping you into a stereotype.

Dark Megazord
04-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Never watched soaps. My mom used to watch General Hospital in the '80s/early '90s when she used to work evening shifts at Burger King. I was even considering picking up Guiding Light between when I graduated and when I got my first job. Now since we all work daytime, nobody watches them.

johnboy3434
04-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Oh, I could count the ways of why wrestling "fans" watch WWE and the like, but none of which I will into here and now for the sake of insulting your intelligence or mine for that matter and lumping you into a stereotype.

I watch it for the botches and to see how stupid the plot gets. I don't watch nearly as often as I used to. I've found Spoony's recaps/rants to be funnier than the episodes themselves.

jaymac
04-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I hate that this is happening i love watching oltl. Im really gonna miss those guys. Hopefully some other channel picks the show up or abc comes to their senses.

pinkpower
04-15-2011, 09:04 PM
I hate that this is happening i love watching oltl. Im really gonna miss those guys. Hopefully some other channel picks the show up or abc comes to their senses.

It seems many people are hoping that, as a huge soap fan herself, that Oprah will come in and save the day by moving AMC & OLTL to OWN.

Izzy
04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Then why are you here.
Why is any single one of us truly here? Makes you think...

While I dodge your initial inquiry...

thunderhayes
04-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I don't care much for soap operas, but I have to say that ABC has given me even more reason to not watch TV (not that I do much anyway).

They say All My Children & One Life To Live don't fit their "new" lineup, but make more "lifestyle" shows that I bet are going to be further down the list of "shows to watch" than Judge Judy and The View.

If AMC truly ends this year, hopefully Susan Lucci can become a permanent cast member on Hot In Cleveland (I don't watch the show, but it's apparently doing well, and she guest starred in a few episodes recently. I guess she "knew.").