PDA

View Full Version : How much that cost to create my own tv network?

Prime Boss
03-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Guys,

I want to know how much that cost to have my own tv network, because I'm thinking of have one some time later in the future. I've had this discussion with my friends a couples of years ago.

My new tv network would be called, "Century network" and part of weekdays, weekends, it would be called, "Century Kids."

Preferably, that network will be mostly focus on young teenagers and targets towards older viewers too as well. That I have been thinking about this for so long time now, ever since Disney treating this PR franchise so terribly, I felt that it's time for me to take the action to do it.

Not now, probably later in year of 2020's, that I hope to get my new tv network up and running pretty stronger. I wanted to tell you that I'm VERY interested to buying 4kids.

So should I do it? Should I start to invest my own money now?

PurpleWindRangr
03-11-2009, 11:32 AM
It costs millions of dollars to run a tv station, let alone a whole network. Unless you have rich investors and/or partners or are way past rich yourself it would be hard to get a network going.

Prime Boss
03-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Well, what's the final cost?

PurpleWindRangr
03-11-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't know, I don't actually run a TV station, but my mom has worked in one since I was a kid. I know from being around them that you have to be a multi-millioniare to run one for one year...this is why corperations generally own stations...the cost is high and the return isn't always great.

Lisa J
03-11-2009, 11:44 AM
There is no "final cost". It just costs millions of dollars, especially when you're trying to sell a new, unknown network to the various cable/satellite providers.

And then you're talking about buying out other licensed shows, which is even more millions.

When you can raise a million dollars on your own, then you can ask about final cost, lol.

Sadsmileyface
03-11-2009, 11:46 AM
At least $620,000 just in start up costs. Then you've actually got to run it. That cost is before you film a single frame or buy a single second of a TV show.

You're never going to do it.

Prime Boss
03-11-2009, 11:53 AM
At least $620,000 just in start up costs. Then you've actually got to run it. That cost is before you film a single frame or buy a single second of a TV show.

You're never going to do it.

It's worth a try! Unless I won lottery!

Elk
03-11-2009, 11:54 AM
You should do a show where a guy has to go and do stuff.

I'd call it "Joe is Happy"

darkshadowranger
03-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Even lottery win money will keep your station open for.... a day or two but check out this thread for a low budget channel, very low down (or high up) the EPG list.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=578782

thats for a basic station kinda like public access in the states with home made shows... So imagine how much it would cost to start up a station with proper shows etc

WatcherMark
03-11-2009, 12:11 PM
It's not a case of saving up for a few years or getting a lottery win. You'd need millions upon millions to run a TV Network, it's not something you can just decide to do one day.

Gadf1y
03-11-2009, 12:27 PM
You might have an ever-so-slight chance running a local TV station.

But a TV network/cable channel? :005:

J The Burning Ranger
03-11-2009, 01:14 PM
It's not a case of saving up for a few years or getting a lottery win. You'd need millions upon millions to run a TV Network, it's not something you can just decide to do one day.

Watchermark is right. Its not Impossible but very hard to Pull off. the costs to create a tv channel is monumental because besides programming you'll need advertising and alot of people to run it. but given the money, time and high interest bank account it could work

Darkness_Ranger
03-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Once everything turns to digital you can "barrow" the anilog signals to make your own station much like KIDS SONGS did.

mikejonas
03-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Once everything turns to digital you can "barrow" the anilog signals to make your own station much like KIDS SONGS did.

Uh, not likely--the reason they're moving everything to digital is so that they can use the frequencies the analog stations used to use for something else. Authorities probably won't take too kindly to someone transmitting analog TV broadcasts again (except for the low-power stations that are exempt from the digital switchover).

Anyway, Prime Boss, I can sell you a network for, like $450. Just paypal me, and I'll send you the network via UPS.

BozQ
03-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Are you George Rodd?

Impy
03-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Do you have an actual plan of any kind related to how you would raise money and bring all of this together, or do you just think owning a TV network would be pretty boss? (Which is not to say owning a TV network wouldn't be boss. It totally would.)

MegaBlue
03-11-2009, 04:16 PM
You'd have an easier time renting some space on the Ion Network affiliates than starting your own station, and I just knew from the title alone that it had something to do with PR not being on outside ABC anymore.

Anyway, if you're serious about starting your own network and not just doing it to put PR on TV, try cablemaven.com or tvstartup.com for more information and pricing on various TV methods.

I can't imagine that the low-budget home-shopping channels really cost THAT much to run. Have you seen some of them? However, licensing for various shows will cost you a pretty penny - especially PR, I'm sure (the rest of the Saban library is probably less expensive to license) - so you'll need to save up some money to pay the fees.

Grantsaunt
03-11-2009, 04:20 PM
WebTV. Works for George.

Kivat
03-11-2009, 05:18 PM
I wonder how many people on Rangerboard have there own tv networks?

Greensy Thunders
03-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Seven.

Superanger
03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
For what I recall from my Mass Media Management class and Legal & Ethic Aspects class, Besides the money, the FCC requieres you technological Knowledge and to run the network for at least 6 months without Ad-support. and You know to have a pretty good ammount of money for start.

PowerOnyx
03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Public Access isn't costly. Then any Copyright Infringement can be ignored as it was a "review" you were showing. :023:

MMPR Jess
03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
I do hope you are kidding? Maybe not as your thread title doesn't even make sense. To own and run your own TV network would cost millions and millions of dollars, maybe even a billion. You also have to get companies to put commercials on your network, to help with some of the costs.

GreenNinja
03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Copywright
Is that an imitation airplane inventor?

PowerOnyx
03-11-2009, 06:17 PM
ExtenZe seems to love airtime. Get them. You could practically do nothing with those advertising whores on your side! -- That and Bobby Flay with his "filet a filet" knife. :005:

RedSavageWarrior
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
You also have to get companies to put commercials on your network, to help with some of the costs.

Or get the government to create a compulsory Tv license fee to pay for it.

Is that an imitation airplane inventor?

LOL. He's related to Copyorville isn't he? But he just sat there in a green duck costume...

Prime Boss
03-11-2009, 06:42 PM
You'd have an easier time renting some space on the Ion Network affiliates than starting your own station, and I just knew from the title alone that it had something to do with PR not being on outside ABC anymore.

Anyway, if you're serious about starting your own network and not just doing it to put PR on TV, try cablemaven.com or tvstartup.com for more information and pricing on various TV methods.

I can't imagine that the low-budget home-shopping channels really cost THAT much to run. Have you seen some of them? However, licensing for various shows will cost you a pretty penny - especially PR, I'm sure (the rest of the Saban library is probably less expensive to license) - so you'll need to save up some money to pay the fees.

MegaBlue, I planned all of this a few years ago when I was young teenager. Since many of tv networks are showing too much reality shows and for that I loathe them very much and that leads me to make this decision that it's time that I starts to running new tv network, but don't know how to do that. That will requires of me to looking for people who will help me to complete that.

For that, this tv network of mine will be commercial-free. Not big fan of commercial. So, to letting you know that more than I'm interested to getting the Saban library, I'm very interested to get abc family and all.

I already know that I will have to save up a loads of money to pay the fees. So that will take many years to complete my journey. As of right now, PR franchise needed a BIG break.

I do hope you are kidding? Maybe not as your thread title doesn't even make sense. To own and run your own TV network would cost millions and millions of dollars, maybe even a billion. You also have to get companies to put commercials on your network, to help with some of the costs.

No. I'm not kidding about this. I'm very, very serious thinking about this. This is my childhood dream since I was teenager. Like I said, it will be commercial-free.

For what I recall from my Mass Media Management class and Legal & Ethic Aspects class, Besides the money, the FCC requieres you technological Knowledge and to run the network for at least 6 months without Ad-support. and You know to have a pretty good ammount of money for start.

Does that requires of me to take the classes to do that?

Phantom6
03-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Well, what's the final cost?

Having worked for a couple of TV Stations, both of which were affiliates I can say right now You won't be able to pull it off.

The station I worked for the longest was Sold for 53 MILLION dollars and apparently that was cheap.

Then there's operating costs, the Power bill alone is in the tens of thousands each month.

A NETWORK takes time to build up. You can't just buy a TV station and say "Hey this is a network now". It doesn't work like that.

PurpleWindRangr
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Having worked for a couple of TV Stations, both of which were affiliates I can say right now You won't be able to pull it off.

The station I worked for the longest was Sold for 53 MILLION dollars and apparently that was cheap.

Then there's operating costs, the Power bill alone is in the tens of thousands each month.

A NETWORK takes time to build up. You can't just buy a TV station and say "Hey this is a network now". It doesn't work like that.

Exactly. Well put.

If this is something you are even considering I'd do some serious research. You have no idea what it is you're trying to get into.

Phantom6
03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
And let me add, even if by some SLIM chance you manage to get a local station, the odds of the competition letting you STAY operating is slim to none. There's only so many local advertisers and the likelihood of you getting national sponsors as a new station is non-existent.

Advertisers like to see the numbers of a station before commiting to a contract with them. That's why "Sweeps Weeks" exist, to pad a networks/stations numbers for the next ad cycle.

PurpleWindRangr
03-11-2009, 06:57 PM
And let me add, even if by some SLIM chance you manage to get a local station, the odds of the competition letting you STAY operating is slim to none. There's only so many local advertisers and the likelihood of you getting national sponsors as a new station is non-existent.

Advertisers like to see the numbers of a station before commiting to a contract with them. That's why "Sweeps Weeks" exist, to pad a networks/stations numbers for the next ad cycle.

This is why most local stations become affiliates. Known network programing sells better than just a local station. And a NETWORK it very hard to start....see UPN, WB, and My Network TV as examples.

Akared30
03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Do it!

MegaBlue
03-11-2009, 07:22 PM
For that, this tv network of mine will be commercial-free. Not big fan of commercial. So, to letting you know that more than I'm interested to getting the Saban library, I'm very interested to get abc family and all.

Didn't Disney pay Saban something like $5BILLION to get their hands on the Family Channel space? I know that Disney also had to absorb some $3billion plus in DEBTS when they bought the company... just to get their hands on the Family Channel.

Third Haim Saban
03-11-2009, 10:18 PM
My advice, if you're really serious about this, is to try to get a job at a TV station to build up work experience and to go to college to major in something like "Visual Communication Technology" concentrating on the television industry.

I personally would suggest trying to get hired by an already existing TV network and try to work your way up to a position where you can get some creative control. I don't know how realistic that is either but it doesn't seem like you're going to be able to make a TV Network, the fundraising is too much.

I've also always wanted to have my own TV network since I was a kid but I've written off that dream as unrealistic a while ago as I have other interests to pursue that I think will be just as good. Remember, you're still young you might not want to tie yourself down to this at such an early age. I recommend thinking about a number of things you might want to do and work out what things you would have to do to get to where you want to be, the benefits of each potential career, the downsides, etc. and if you still think that this is the path for you then go for it.

Phantom6
03-11-2009, 10:43 PM
No commercials eh?

Okay, Your station will tank after a Month.

Commercials are where your money comes from. Despite the common misconception of idiots, TV stations don't make money because people watch the shows. They make money based on the number of people watching the COMMERCIALS IN THE SHOWS.

The Shows are just there to keep the audience in place to see the Shamwow! or the new Lincoln.

Stations and Networks both PAY for the right to air the shows they do. If you want a commercial free station/network you'd better have a fucking money press in your office because your "dream" will piss away money so damn fast your wallet will catch on fire.

The Real Torhu
03-11-2009, 11:29 PM
I want to know how much that cost to have my own tv network, because I'm thinking of have one some time later in the future.
More than you will ever be able to get together.

And I'm NOT just saying that...

RangerZero
03-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah man, it's good to have a dream, but you clearly have NO CLUE what is involved in this. Like a poster before said, it isn't something you "decide" to do.

And only government subsidized educational networks and premium channels like HBO get to go even mostly commercial free. Commercials are your ONLY income.

AND, networks don't own programming. The purchase the right to air the episodes from the production companies who own the intellectual rights. In the case of Disney, they just happen to be a production company who also has their own network as an avenue to air their properties. Few companies are big enough and have deep enough pockets to afford this luxury.

Perhaps a slightly more realistic (although still insanely difficult) goal might be to build a production company. This will still take years and a ton of money, but it at least has a CHANCE of going somewhere.

MoonsKnight
03-12-2009, 12:08 AM
The Shows are just there to keep the audience in place to see the Shamwow! or the new Lincoln.

I prefer the SlapChop, myself.

And to the original poster: It's not just about "saving up" like you're trying to buy some really expensive prop or something. It's not a one-time deal. You have to be able to buy it, but then it takes loads of money to keep the network RUNNING. And if you're not making any money off the network, it's going to tank. Very. Quickly.