PDA

View Full Version : [OT] One color off the visible spectrum. One taste added to basic tastes. heard it?

Pages : [1] 2

Christophe
May 28th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Yesterday I was going through the regular stuff I go through to pick topics for classes when I came across two major revisions to two 'lists' that many of us learned as kids. That was the first time I heard of em.

Apparently the visible sepctrum no longer has seven colors. It used to be red, green, blue, yellow, purple, orange and indigo. Now Indigo's been scratched out and filed under blue or purple.

Also there used to be four Basic Tastes. Saltiness, Bitterness, Sweetness and Sourness. Each of which have a basic ingredient that makes it taste the way it does. Now we have UMAMI (a borrowed Japanese word) which refers to the taste of glutamate, and its other form MSG. It's the natural 'savory' taste of beef, seaweed, noodles and well, ajinomoto. Have you guys heard of these?

Zhoombarango
May 28th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Hmm. No, I haven't. Then again, I can barely keep up with whatever science decides to change. That whole MyPyramid thing? Totally didn't know that until a week ago.

I'm still pissed off about Pluto.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Gotta look into it now...so long as it's not in indigo.

:)

McAster
May 28th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Indigo never should have been listed as a colour in the first place, as it's neither subtractive nor additive. Newton only placed it on there just so he could have the magical number of 7 on his list.

As for Umami, I remember them adding it to the list back in the 90's. I still believe it's one of the things that helped U.K. go from being the worst food in Europe to becoming one of it's leaders. Yum, maggi sauce.

Christophe
May 28th, 2008, 07:05 AM
That whole MyPyramid thing? Totally didn't know that until a week ago.

Okay, I didnt know about that til you posted it. LOL

Same here. 8 planets and 3 dwarf planets. Gawrsh. It took me a while to wrap my head around that one.

McAster
May 28th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Just be glad they decided to take Pluto off. If they didn't, they would have had to add a few hundred planets instead.

Ceptor
Yesterday I was going through the regular stuff I go through to pick topics for classes when I came across two major revisions to two 'lists' that many of us learned as kids. That was the first time I heard of em.

Apparently the visible sepctrum no longer has seven colors. It used to be red, green, blue, yellow, purple, orange and indigo. Now Indigo's been scratched out and filed under blue or purple.

Also there used to be four Basic Tastes. Saltiness, Bitterness, Sweetness and Sourness. Each of which have a basic ingredient that makes it taste the way it does. Now we have UMAMI (a borrowed Japanese word) which refers to the taste of glutamate, and its other form MSG. It's the natural 'savory' taste of beef, seaweed, noodles and well, ajinomoto. Have you guys heard of these?

Indigo's been debated for a long time by many scientists as to whether or not it deserves a spot in the spectrum. Most I've talked to all say no, it shouldn't. Because really if you think about it, can you normally tell the difference between it and some shades of blue or violet?

Umami I heard of about a year ago while stumbling around Wiki, lol.

Christophe
Indigo never should have been listed as a colour in the first place, as it's neither subtractive nor additive. Newton only placed it on there just so he could have the magical number of 7 on his list.
grrr. newton and his sevens...

Yum, maggi sauce.

I love ALL things Maggi. LOL

Ceptor
May 28th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Just be glad they decided to take Pluto off. If they didn't, they would have had to add a few hundred planets instead.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Man it'd suck learning the solar system if everything in the Kuiper Belt and beyond had a name, lol.

Christophe
May 28th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Naoko Takeuchi (Sailormoon writer) would have a field day!

I kept hearing Umami this month whenever I see Quickfire, a 10-minute cooking show that uses a lot of Ajinomoto.

Peter
May 28th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Me too, actually.

We should form our own support group. "But it's too small!" Boo-freakin'-hoo, Pluto was a planet before all you youngens were even born, damn it.

JediMB
May 28th, 2008, 07:53 AM
So... declare Pluto an "honorary planet"? <.<

Phantom Wolf DX
May 28th, 2008, 08:00 AM
There goes the common knowledge I used to have (which was pretty up to date).

Didn't even hear about pluto and indigo scraped and that new taste...

esper1
May 28th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Apparently, Indigo isn't recognised as significant colour in the EM spectrum by modern scientists as it's wavelength is too short to be seen by human colour perception. They usually just lump it under Violet.

I've heard of Umami before, but I think they need to come up with an English name for it too - most people won't remember Umami!

Sadsmileyface
May 28th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Where does Unagi fit into this?

Peter
May 28th, 2008, 08:47 AM
So... declare Pluto an "honorary planet"? <.<

I could get behind that, I suppose.

It's still maddening, though.

Aaron Hong
May 28th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I thought they would hav considered spicy for the fifth taste well before 'umami'. Going by that description 'umami' really comes under salty doesn't it? And for the love of tits, 'umami'? It's like a thinly disguised 'yo mamma' isn't it?

Cheebyekia
May 28th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I thought they would hav considered spicy for the fifth taste well before 'umami'. Going by that description 'umami' really comes under salty doesn't it? And for the love of tits, 'umami'? It's like a thinly disguised 'yo mamma' isn't it?

Spicy is reaction due to the stimulation of the nerves, not a taste.

I would like to think unami is the "meaty" flavour.

Sadsmileyface
May 28th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Love that meaty flavour...

Icon-UK
May 28th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Indigo has never been scientifically accepted IIRC, and optics has used the six colours of the visible spectrum for a long, long time. Even art classes teach the colour wheel, which uses the primary and contrasting secondary as opposites; Red with green, blue with orange, yellow with purple.

Umami has also been around for a while, but when I read about it a couple of years ago it was nice to have a name to something I suspected.

See, I've never had a sense of smell so I know my sense of taste is very limited, but I've known for years I could taste something apart from the four standard tastes of sweet, sharp, sour and salt, but never had a name for it. Umami fitted the bill nicely.

The one I always found weird was the notion of tetrachromitism, which can effect only a small proportion of women. Instead of having the usual three cones in their eyes for red, green and blue, have FOUR, but since we have no concept of what such a colour would be like, and eyesight is entirely subjective, it's impossible to compare properly.

gen x
May 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM
That' bull. Indigo has always been accepted. I did five years of chemistry and indigo has always been part of the spectrum. It is not because humans can not see it as well as the other colours that it doesn't exist. To be honest there are more than seven colours. Each frequentie is a colour of his own, and those are needed for spectumanalyses. For example cupper is violet but if there is an other metal (like tin) in the mix the colour will be more pinkish.
If you want the whole spectrum you have to add stuff like IR and UV, or microwaves, radiowaves, cosmic waves, etc.
Again, It is not because we can't see it it doesn't exist.

Christophe
May 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM
That' bull. Indigo has always been accepted. I did five years of chemistry and indigo has always been part of the spectrum. It is not because humans can not see it as well as the other colours that it doesn't exist. To be honest there are more than seven colours. Each frequentie is a colour of his own, and those are needed for spectumanalyses. For example cupper is violet but if there is an other metal (like tin) in the mix the colour will be more pinkish.
If you want the whole spectrum you have to add stuff like IR and UV, or microwaves, radiowaves, cosmic waves, etc.
Again, It is not because we can't see it it doesn't exist.

Well yeah but they're only referring to parts of the 'visible' spectrum anyway. Sure Indigo exists.

Isamu_Ozu
May 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM
This is why I don't like Science. They change it every time someone gets close to understanding it. I will personally always refer to Pluto as a planet and Indigo as a color somewhere between Blue and Violet. I have never cared about the four tastes, so I won't start just because there is a fifth.

Phantom Wolf DX
May 28th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Nice statement...

I'm glad not everybody is like you, otherwise people would still be afraid of falling of the earth.

gen x
May 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Indigo has never been scientifically accepted IIRC, and optics has used the six colours of the visible spectrum for a long, long time. Even art classes teach the colour wheel, which uses the primary and contrasting secondary as opposites; Red with green, blue with orange, yellow with purple.

You can't compair colours of the light spectrum with paint. The base colours for light (or additive colors) are blue, red and green. For paint (or subtractive colors) it's yellow, magenta and cyan. If you mix the light base colours you'll have light grey. If you use the basic paint colours to mix you will have black. Look on wikipedia under 'Color theory' for the difference.

Isamu_Ozu
May 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I mean there just seems to be no point in changing this stuff. most people don't care whether or not there are five tastes, if Pluto is a planet, or if Indigo is part of the rainbow. I have merely stated that I choose to refer to Pluto as a planet, and 7 colors. Besides, I only use new science if it applies to my everday life. This does not.

gen x
May 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Well yeah but they're only referring to parts of the 'visible' spectrum anyway. Sure Indigo exists.

Yeah OK, but visible to who? :005:

Christophe
May 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM
visible light. do you see brown in the rainbow? :D hahaha

Dark Megazord
May 28th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Boo-freakin'-hoo, Pluto was a planet before all you youngens were even born, damn it.

...So?

I never learned indigo as part of the spectrum, and I didn't learn unami until right now. I do remember the day when Pluto was taken off the 'planet" list. I should've bought the newspaper that day and kept it. I still have several CG-rendered pictures of a list of planets and dwarf planets as well as all the planets in their orbits except Pluto.

gen x
May 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I mean not all humans can see the whole 'visible' spectrum (color blindness).But it would be cool to have brown in the rainbow.;)

And if people consider indigo as a shade of blue or violet then orange is a shade of red or yellow.

Truncated Power Rangers
May 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I learned Indigo as a color in the rainbow. I knew of umami for a while now.

The bottom line is, why do we care?

gen x
May 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM
For sience (like fysics and chemistry) it's very important. For rangerboard it's not important at all and you just have to care if you want to.

Ceptor
May 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
I have no problem with Pluto given honorary planet status. That said it should be, technically, a dwarf planet. A definition that included Pluto also includes 100+ (if not 1000+) other solar object as planets (most likely including Ceres, the largest asteroid in the Asteroid belt). If found 30 years ago, Pluto wouldn't be a planet, let alone now. It's just 70 years ago, technology was such that finding any large, near body almost immediately guaranteed it planetary status. Today, thankfully, we know better.

For sience (like fysics and chemistry) it's very important. For rangerboard it's not important at all and you just have to care if you want to.

Physics has never been fully behind Indigo.

You can even see this in the simplest things, such as resistor color coding. The colors used are: Black, Brown, ROYGBV, White, Gray, Gold, Silver

gen x
May 28th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I just ment it was important to sience to know if it counts or not, you know, to have an international agreement on the subject. It is not interesting for the majority of 'normal' (like in non-science) people.

PlayingMonk
May 28th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I just ment it was important to sience to know if it counts or not, you know, to have an international agreement on the subject. It is not interesting for the majority of 'normal' (like in non-science) people.OK! We get your point already you don't have to keep posting it...

Peter
May 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I have no problem with Pluto given honorary planet status. That said it should be, technically, a dwarf planet.

But still a planet.

cpstargazer222
May 28th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I agree with all of the things taken out. Indigo really isn't as much a color as, well, pink is when it comes to basics. Plus, Pluto's tiny.

Ceptor
May 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
But still a planet.

Yup, a dwarf planet. Like Eris and Ceres.

The Real Torhu
May 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM
First they killed Pluto...now they took down Indigo.

And Umagi? WTF!

Christophe
May 28th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Umami+Unagi+Maggi=Umagi

Wes Janson
May 28th, 2008, 10:07 PM
C'mahn, you Pluto people. You shouldn't get bent out of shape because Pluti was reclassified. Just because it's now a dwarf planet doesn't make it any less important to the history of our solar system. The New Horizons mission will still make history, and Pluto will further teach us about how our world formed and what the universe is made of.

As for indigo and umami... If people talk about the "visible" light spectrum, then yes, leave it out. It's imperceptable to the human eye. But on the full wave spectrum - it exists, just like all the other wavelengths we can't see.

For umami, I say the American term should be "chicken".

McAster
May 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
For Americans? Nay, it should be Soylant Green.

Dragonwolf Ranger
May 28th, 2008, 10:17 PM
So does this mean that Rainbow's going to fire Indigo now, and thus lead to more I love the 80s jokes about discrimination?

KyrieEleison
May 29th, 2008, 01:11 AM
For Americans? Nay, it should be Soylant Green.

Yeah, but that flavor varies from person to person. ;)

In all seriousness, I say call it 'savory.' I knew I'd been in a bubble back at school, but I thought those Food Network Kikkoman commercials talking about 'umami' every five seconds and calling it the 'fifth taste' was just a advertising campaign...

Icon-UK
May 29th, 2008, 06:15 AM
This is why I don't like Science. They change it every time someone gets close to understanding it.

Umm, they're not changing it, that's just refining it and correcting an error.

I will personally always refer to Pluto as a planet

Then you'll be wrong every time you do.

Isamu_Ozu
May 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
It is only an error from their point of view. Like good and evil, everyone has their own concept of correct and incorrect.

Dark Megazord
May 29th, 2008, 10:44 AM
The New Horizons mission will still make history, and Pluto will further teach us about how our world formed and what the universe is made of.

Assuming that it is a Kuiper Belt object, how will that teach us anything?

gen x
May 29th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I don't think everything is 'just a point of view'. It's like the debate of teaching darwin's evolutionary theory in schools. Some teachers refuse to teach it (and modern biologie) because it is not there point of view (that beeing creationism). There is no point of view in facts. It's not because they don't classify pluto as a planet anymore that it disappears. There is stil a planetoid called Pluto and technicly it's a dwarf PLANET so I think you can still call it that if you want to.:023:

To PlayingMonk: sorry if I was to pushy, it wasn't my intesion.

Joshua11
May 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Oh crap, someone needs to tell Geoff Johns.

Icon-UK
May 29th, 2008, 04:38 PM
It is only an error from their point of view. Like good and evil, everyone has their own concept of correct and incorrect.

You're not seriously trying to compare subjective morality with the objective laws of physics?

blackdinoranger5
May 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM
is clear a color cause thatd be kool to see like how would u color clear?:)